Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 08:14 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,141,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
All this within the Stroudsburg-Eastburg-Marshalls Creek area might make both lenders and prospective tenants wonder why they should pay for a new building when then can just refurbish buildings that are already standing?
Unfortunately, it won't be any of the big city companies they were hoping would come fill those empty vacant spaces!! Because of the narrow-mindedness of those in office here in NEPA instead of trying to bring business in and providing decent employment for their populations all they do is sit on their A$$ and collect a check!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 09:30 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Unfortunately, it won't be any of the big city companies they were hoping would come fill those empty vacant spaces!! Because of the narrow-mindedness of those in office here in NEPA instead of trying to bring business in and providing decent employment for their populations all they do is sit on their A$$ and collect a check!!

It isn't that they have not made mistakes in the past. Like the Iridium deal where they offered a $9 million grant to retool and the company hired 81 illegal aliens. The money was supposed to help the company expand so they could hire more legal employees and thus they could collect more tax dollars.

In some cases I just feel that we are better off without our local government interference. If they want to help; let them help with the paperwork and regulations.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:40 PM

Supposedly a vote could come next month on the project: https://wnep.com/2018/07/10/update-o...teway-project/.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:36 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Supposedly a vote could come next month on the project: https://wnep.com/2018/07/10/update-o...teway-project/.
"Those plans include shops, restaurants, and high-end apartments as well as improvements to roads and traffic signals." = And this is needed becauase????? High-end apartments?? For who?? Without the jobs that could pay for the costs of either owning or renting those apartments then what the f*#@k good is having those around for?? Restaurants...we already have plenty of those. The stupidity of those involved in bringing in more business to NEPA is beyond astounding!!

Old 07-11-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
"Those plans include shops, restaurants, and high-end apartments as well as improvements to roads and traffic signals." = And this is needed becauase????? High-end apartments?? For who?? Without the jobs that could pay for the costs of either owning or renting those apartments then what the f*#@k good is having those around for?? Restaurants...we already have plenty of those. The stupidity of those involved in bringing in more business to NEPA is beyond astounding!!

Supposedly Lehigh Hospital is supposed to break ground in Tannersville: LVHN looks to open Tannersville hospital in 2020 - Lehigh Valley Business Cycle. I think they are supposed to start next month. The old Brookdale resort, close to me, is being totally rehabbed for a drug rehabilitation center. I have a friend that owns a sheetrock business and his business is up from the last few years. What I am saying is that not everything is doom and gloom.

It isn't only that, but if you were going to commute to the city, The Smithfield project beats the western side and northern sides of Monroe County. It can cut off half an hour or more on bad traffic days.

I will not argue with you about our roads. I live just around the corner from the construction on Route 611 that has been going on for two seasons with no end in sight. They are working far too slow and they should have finished the utility stage last year and then replaced the pavement this year; but they do not know how to complete two projects at the same time! It isn't only that; but they are not taking the highway all the way down to the ground level. There will still be pieces of cracked concrete under the new asphalt when they finally lay it. That means the asphalt will again crack and we are in the same boat we are always in - perpetual road work (workfare)!

I did not see them mention a grocery store in this last news article. What happened to a grocery store as an anchor store? We just heard that Weiss will close their Marshall's Creek location. I also think that Giant Market is supposed to go into the old K-Mart building in E. Stroudsburg. It will be interesting to see if anybody takes over the old Weiss location.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:56 PM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
The Smithfield Gateway project was featured on the Blue Ridge Cable channel 13 news the other night. It's still on the drawing board and the developer and township intend to go through with it, eventually.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:00 AM

115 posts, read 163,140 times
Quote:
What I am saying is that not everything is doom and gloom.
It is if you ask some of those in this place.

Quote:
It isn't only that, but if you were going to commute to the city, The Smithfield project beats the western side and northern sides of Monroe County. It can cut off half an hour or more on bad traffic day
This is a really good point and has another aspect to it not just ride to NYC. Being on the edge of 209 you are onto 80 very quickly. My 45 min ride to work becomes 20(what might that be worth to someone?). Lots of jobs in Allentown Area get cut way down, isn't there something military out route 80 west as well? Hospital jobs?

Old 07-12-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue0888 View Post
It is if you ask some of those in this place.

You can never keep all the people happy all the time or at least that is what I am told! People have to do their homework before they make any big move and they should never trust anybody that will make a dime off that move. Then, even if you do your homework, it only takes one bad neighbor to spoil your experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue0888 View Post
This is a really good point and has another aspect to it not just ride to NYC. Being on the edge of 209 you are onto 80 very quickly. My 45 min ride to work becomes 20(what might that be worth to someone?). Lots of jobs in Allentown Area get cut way down, isn't there something military out route 80 west as well? Hospital jobs?

We have the Tobyhanna Army Depot about six miles north of Mt. Pocono. It was/is pretty hard to get into and I have no idea if they are currently hiring. If they are hiring civilian workers the pay scale and benefits are pretty good. As far as our hospital jobs: I do not know if the new rehab is close to opening close to our house? There will jobs available there. Whenever the new Lehigh Hospital is completed in Tannersville I am sure they will be hiring; but that will probably not take place for two years.

I do not know if they finished construction on this business: https://wnep.com/2018/01/18/new-jobs...-the-poconos/? Not all the tire warehouse jobs will pay great wages; but some will. Maybe there would be some decent paying yard or road jobs for holders of CDL's? One never knows unless they ask.

For Monroe residents on the northwestern side some might find employment over the line in Luzern County: https://www.timesleader.com/news/695...hazle-township. At least you might satisfy your sweet tooth!

I made about $75K working in Monroe as a truck driver. I know that is not a lot compared to NYC; but I did not have to commute. Workers should never give up on an area; there will always be some fairly good jobs. It just might take some time and some people might have to change their vocations.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:32 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,313,759 times
Default Smithfield Gateway Project Work Starts

Don't hold your breath, but progress is reported: Smithfield Gateway Project Work Starts https://www.brctv13.com/news/local-n...ct-work-starts

Old 07-26-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Don't hold your breath, but progress is reported: Smithfield Gateway Project Work Starts https://www.brctv13.com/news/local-n...ct-work-starts
Anybody that holds their breath would have turned to ashes long before any work is done that our DOT is involved in. For two years they have messed around with 2 miles of Route 611 between Scotrun and Swiftwater. They still have not started work on the southbound lanes. Heck; you hardly ever see a concerted effort to finish the northbound lanes. While they did remove the old concrete under the northbound lanes; they have not even started on the southbound lanes. PennDOT has no conception of how to orchestrate any major project.

It's like the widening Route 80 proposal: what have we heard of the progress? For all we know it could be another 20 years before they start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania