Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 01:32 PM

175 posts, read 459,780 times

Advertisements

After many months of prepping... actually most of it was saving up money LOL, this fateful day has finally arrived. Fixing my car took a little longer than expected or I would've been here sooner.

I've decided to start my search for work in Minot. Not sure why... some part of me wanted to avoid the craziness of Williston maybe... Power Fuels has an office here and driving is what I came here to do. I've heard from several people they are a good company to work for. Anywho, well I don't get out much socially but from the limited experience I've had here in ND everyone seems to wear normal clothes... (This comment comes from a previous post of mine where I was trying to figure out what to pack coming from Alaska LOL)

It is insanely warm. Tomorrow it is suppose to be 80 degrees in Minot! I'm prepared to freeze my tootie off but not bake in the sun LOL. I'm not sure what is "normal" here but I waited the same amount of time here at McDonalds as I did in Kodiak, AK. Except the line was 5x longer... which doesn't say much for the McD's in Kodiak.

There are women seeking men for those that care. Although they may be further and fewer between. I sat in Barnes and Noble and was distracted from my computer as this attractive woman mentioned to her friend how much her life sucked and she needed a boyfriend... multiple times. If she was any louder the far corner of the store could've heard her.

I've seen maybe a dozen or so out-of-state plates on the drive in. Walmart had a handful of out-of-staters too. Nothing that made me feel I was in a crazy boomtown. I saw a few trucks carting mobile homes eastward (...the 'wrong' way)... dozen or so tankers going this way or that. Didn't seem too crazy. There were moments when I was the only one on the road heading in on RT-52... if there were 6 cars on the road between both lanes that was a lot (Friday 3-6pm).

Spent the night at Walmart. It's open 24-7. My car lost one of the clips securing one of the two shift cables in Indiana. I don't have 1st or 2nd gear and don't intend on driving too much during the day until I can get it fixed... which should be Tuesday afternoon. I have a Saturn SC. Basically take one of the seats down in the back. I have my sleeping bags and blanket in there. So I basically sleep half-in half-out of the trunk. The blanket is to cover my head so it looks like a big mess in the back seat. I wear ear plugs so cars don't bother me too much... it just isn't that comfortable. My hammock in Alaska in 10 degrees + 60mph winds was way better than sleeping in my car.

With my boots... err, sneakers... on the ground I decided to walk the streets this morning. I really haven't done much for exercise since I got to MA in early March... and especially the last two days driving. Got my haircut... was wondering how hard it would be to find a decent priced place. Turns out the first one I walked into... $15! I saw many "Hiring" signs on my walk up and down S. Broadway. Mostly for eating establishments and one bank. (An aside: I was amused at one of the banks here... apparently they misspelled intentionally... Dacotah Bank )

I didn't apply to any place before I came. I figure it'll all work out. I did however collect a lot of links and info before I came. But since front offices won't be open until Monday I figure I will learn the town more after I do some research/applying online here at Barnes and Noble. I might even tear myself away from my computer and go to a bar somewhere.

My initial plan was to get day work at Bakken Staffing until April 15th and then really concentrate on getting a driving job after that. (Might seem like an odd plan but want to max my Roth 2011 contribution. Waiting one month for a check won't help me... That said if I was offered a driving job tomorrow I would be a fool to say 'no.' )

My only question is to stay in Minot or go to Williston. Is there really any benefit? Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 03:12 PM

53 posts, read 175,565 times
Robione, I enjoyed your journal . . . I mean your post! LOL!!! Welcome to ND. I really enjoyed your thorough and detailed post. It sounds so very exciting thus far. Especially your relaxed approach in regards to looking for work . . . i.e. you will just see what fate brings you. COOL!!! Plus it is encouraging that you saw a lot of businesses there with hiring signs. I'm not sure if you are single or looking, but if you are single and looking, it sounds like you "almost" found your future girlfriend at that Barnes and Noble. LOL!!!

I’m still trying to decide in regards to looking for work out of state or not, since I have been unemployed in Los Angeles for such a long time. So instead of looking for a job there (in the Oil Rush areas) or another state, I have been sidetracked into thinking about starting and operating a small business of some kind in or near one of the Oil Rush cities.

Yet while you are there and as you decide if you will stay in Minot or go to Williston, I do wish you well and I wish you much success. I do hope that you give us updates on occasion to let us know how you are doing sometimes. Out of curiosity, do you know if Minot has an online magazine like "The Shopper", where one can read the "job ads"? One final question, do you know if housing is a problem there (i.e. can one easily get a motel/hotel room)?

If you have not seen this news article about one man's journey of Williston, you might find it interesting.

This Young Man Is Chasing The American Dream In A North Dakota Oil Boomtown

Read more: Young Man Chases The American Dream In Williston

Nick

Last edited by NickSheridan; 03-31-2012 at 03:24 PM..

Old 03-31-2012, 03:20 PM

155 posts, read 748,295 times
Welcome to North Dakota!

Old 03-31-2012, 04:36 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,231,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robione View Post
My only question is to stay in Minot or go to Williston. Is there really any benefit? Thanks guys.
My husband is based in Berthold, but Minot is only 20 miles or so away so he spends a LOT of time in Minot.
He's said a number of times that he's really glad he's based near Minot rather than Williston for the simple fact that it is less crazy.

BTW, Dacotah is an original spelling for Dacotah Territory.
And have you noticed that big lake to your south and west? It's not Lake Sacajawea.

Last edited by itsMeFred; 03-31-2012 at 04:44 PM..

Old 03-31-2012, 04:45 PM

175 posts, read 459,780 times
Thx WestCoastWilson.

@Nick: I'm single... have never really looked. Every once in a while some girl bashes me over the head with the "I'm interested" sign (like 7 days ago where I should;ve asked for her number but didn't... err. C'set la vie.)... occasionally it works out. It's not like I get a lot of practice LOL. Plus how can I woo someone with a Saturn filled with stuff? I figure I need to get my own house in order before I invite someone into it so-to-speak... of course that could just be fear talking.

There's a few sites dedicated to oil jobs... Minot does have the "Minot Daily News." Their site just redirects you to Monster. I did find this post interesting... although it was posted 24 days ago. It has the flexibility that I like. It was only for $9/hr though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minot Daily News via Monster.com
Fast-Food Server
JOB PERKS!!!
  • Flexible Scheduling! Work one day or night what ever works for your schedule!
  • Health, dental and vison is offered day one of your employment!
  • Paid daily or weekly - you decide!
As far as housing I have no intention of finding any unless it's like $400/mo and I already have a couple of checks in my pocket... that said I have seen a sign along S Broadway saying to call. Daily and weekly rates available. It appears some mobile homes are being put up on blocks in the lot adjacent to Walmart with a sign indicating availability.

Thanks for sharing that link. It's neat to hear people's adventures.

Last edited by robione; 03-31-2012 at 04:54 PM..

Old 03-31-2012, 05:43 PM

979 posts, read 3,668,568 times
robione said: "Nothing that made me feel I was in a crazy boomtown"

That's because Minot is not really a boomtown. They will have lots of construction this coming year with new homes that were destroyed or damaged by the floods, and the increase of families coming in to Minot Air Force base. But Oil is not King in Minot right now. There are a few businesses there, but Minot is on the fringe of the boom.
You need to go to Williston, Dickinson, Watford City, Stanley, Tioga, Newtown-Parshall or Sidney to experience the "oil boomtown" feel. Williston is by far the craziest of them all.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:42 AM

192 posts, read 497,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
Williston is by far the craziest of them all.

That of course is relative! It's busy to be sure... but manageable.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:07 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,231,372 times
Ya know I can't help but wonder if this is perspective. Ie, if you're not a city person, you tend to steer clear of crowds, traffic, etc.
OTOH, if that's what you've known, you think it's fine.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:28 PM

53 posts, read 175,565 times
Robione, thank you for the updates.

Well for sure, if you are going to woo a girl, probably having and living in a Saturn full of stuff is not going to work. LOL!!! Yet I do wish you well as you get settled and start building a new life wherever you decided to set-up camp (i.e. get your house in order), then get settled, then the women will come. Yet I do hope that you find some good housing soon as you can when you are ready to do so, as I know that must be very hard for someone living out of their vehicle until they become gainfully employed and can then easily afford housing. Yet at least with winter gone, the better weather unfolding now that spring is here, followed by summer. Things should be nice (weather wise) until it starts to get overall cold and snowy again (later in the year). So the nicer weather should make for it being much better living in a vehicle or camper.

Thank you for letting me know about the “Minot Daily News”. How odd that their job ads directs people to Monster.Com, because I know that all of their “Minot” job listings can’t only be at that site, for the local employers wanting to post job openings . . . yet maybe that is how they do it. However I have on occasion, looked for job openings for Williston by plugging in a Williston zip code and have come up with a lot of things. However I do like “The Shopper”, because it has multi skill level jobs in there, whereas the jobs I have found listed on Monster (the times I have looked) tend to be white collar and specialty skill jobs. I don’t think I have seen one in there from an employer looking for people wanting to sling hash . . . yet I suppose I could have overlooked those jobs.

I’m not sure what the cost of living is like in Minot vs. Williston, however $9 per hour for a job is not much. Yet maybe since Minot is not a booming Mecca like Williston, $9 per hour might be doable there.

Good luck to you, Robione. Please keep us posted on your adventures. It seems like you are quite a writer

Nick

Old 04-01-2012, 03:41 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Do not settle for 9 dollars an hour, imo that would not be worth all the relocation and living in your car issues. I think folks are moving to the boom areas for the larger pay checks folks have been discussing for mths on this forum. You could make 9 hr where you are now, and it certainly isn't going to cover the cost of living in Western N.D. anymore.

Last edited by JanND; 04-01-2012 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota