Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 05:41 PM

54 posts, read 114,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinCole View Post
Doesn't the post office require a real address in order to issue a PO box?

WE GOT A PO BOX TODAY IN MINOT NEEDED 2 FOARMS OF I.D.
AND THEY DID ASK FOR AN ADDRESS THERE IS A WAITING LIST OF A WEEK OR TWO WE JUST GOT LUCKY. THE GUY BEHIND THE COUNTER SAID THE TURN AROUND IS FAST THERE IS ALSO A U.P.S STORE ON BROADWAY THAT HAS THEM TOO JUST COST A LITTLE BIT MOOR

A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 06:08 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,238,727 times
Well they require an address, but it doesn't have to be a local one, I don't think... Ie, you can use your folks' address, your address back home, etc I think.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:19 PM

454 posts, read 941,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrone10011 View Post
Robione I have to say you must not have been in the same Minot I was in. The restaurant for breakfast across from our campground had a line around it 8 am and when we cam back 2 hours later still had a line around it. Walmart had 20 or more people in line and as we were in line an announcement came over the intercom that the debit/credit machine weren't working cash only(you should have seen the full carts that were abandoned).
Welcome to ND KTrone, glad you guys had a safe trip !

Bahhahaha! My sister and my step-son were both in Wal-mart yesterday at separate times and both of them told me today that Wal-mart was a flippin' nightmare. My sister was there when they made the announcement about the debit/credit cards, she waited in line and by the time she got to the checkout things were up and running again.

Over time I have learned that the very busiest time at Wal-mart in Minot is the first day of the month thru the first two weeks of the month. I won't go there during those times unless I absolutely have to, otherwise I try and shop there during the third week or the last week of the month - what a difference , you can actually find a place to park and you are able to move freely around the store. Anyone know if Wal-marts in other towns are the same - busy around the first part of the month and slower later on?

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-02-2012 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote marks, again. lol

Old 04-02-2012, 08:27 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,238,727 times
Most of them are busy around the first of the month because that's when checks like Social Security come, if I'm not mistaken...

Old 04-02-2012, 08:52 PM

175 posts, read 460,114 times
I don't have much time to post today. I spent way too long making a collage of signs I saw on about 5 miles of street today. I went to PowerFuels, GoldSpur Trucking, SOS Staffing, Bakken Staffing, Behm Energy Services... and walked by Key Energy. It just seemed odd to go on property there.... "Private Entrance"... everyone wearing PPE (which I don't have). I'll apply online.

For the most part everything was a dud.

"This office doesn't handle apps. Goto Watford City or 'out west.'"
"This is an accounting office."

I got a few more leads to follow. Pumpco and IPS (I think it's IPS... I walk around and take pictures of bulletin boards so I can review later.). Really want the driving job though.

I might be in Williston soon. Tomorrow I'm going to go to Bakken for day work and see what happens. If it's a dud and my clip comes in for my car I'm more than likely leaving Minot.

I wasn't thrilled with SOS. The conversation went something like:
Quote:
Rep: (Speaking on phone, hands me card) Fill out the online app.
Me: I already did.
Rep: Do you have a CDL?
Me: Yes.
Rep: Have a seat. We have lots of positions.

(A little small talk.)

Rep: You have housing?
Me: Kinda.
Rep: Kinda? What are your arrangements?

(Short back-and-forth. Basically comes down to me in a car at Walmart.)

Rep: Unfortunately we can't count that as housing. We do have one company that considers people without housing but I don't think they're in hiring mode now.
Me: Not many people would consider a hammock all year round in the woods housing but it works in Alaska.
Rep: Call [so-and-so] tomorrow. She'll have information on that company for you.
Me: Thank you. (Grab card nicely. Leave nicely.)
I'm not sure if she's being honest or just trying to get me out the door. But who travels over 5,500 miles and spends over $5,000 to arrive someplace... not to work? Seriously?!? I didn't come to kick the tires.

I actually wasn't too shocked, more peeved at myself... as soon as those words escaped her lips I could've swore I read them on here or another forum. Those words being "housing is a must."

Here's the pic. Hope FB doesn't change the link on me. Pizza Hut is the winner at "up to" $15/hr.

I have noticed an odd proportion of Saskatchewan license plates at Walmart. And last night was the first time I saw about half dozen or so trucks in the lot. I've been noticing some more out-of-staters... and the previous two nights the fruit and veggie section seemed to be depleted. Guess my first night was an off one. I only go in the morning and evening too... once my car is 100% and I have more free time from not walking I might get a chance to experience all the commotion.

Thanks for the advice on the P.O. Box. I didn't realize you don't need a local address for them. It is nice.... actually the UPS Store is nicer. Well when I had a UPS box back east the address was "residence friendly." It was '800 State Rd. 11-169' not '800 State Rd, Suite 11, Box 169.' ... I could just leave out the box info period. That's the best lie I can manage. As I was walking today I started to pick out houses at random... "Yes. I live at 1109 10th St SW. Nice peeps. Met them at Hibachi." Just wouldn't work though. Didn't take too much effort from her to get me to spill the beans about Walmart LOL.

Last edited by robione; 04-02-2012 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: minor edits

Old 04-02-2012, 09:14 PM

robione: Sorry it isn't working out for you in Minot!

That is one awesome college of photos - it really captures all those "Help Wanted" signs that a person sees when they drive around Minot. The one for Wal-mart could use a little 'help' itself.

You'll get used to seeing the Canadian plates, they are down here all the time .

Old 04-02-2012, 09:42 PM

175 posts, read 460,114 times
I can't be too quick to judge.. or become too impatient and anzy. It could work out just fine. When I feel something it's pretty intense at first. I just have to let time take the edge off, see what happens at Bakken, and check out some of the places in my picture.

There was a lot of Photoshopping in that collage LOL. Every pic needed the hiring sign and business name extracted, then placed together. It was overcast all day so the lighting wasn't too good. Contrast and brightness adjustments. Then flattening all 22 images, rescaling them, pasting them, (re)arranging them... extending the collage canvas 'cause I ran out of room LOL.

It was a mini labor of love.

Last edited by robione; 04-02-2012 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: minor edits

Old 04-02-2012, 11:00 PM

53 posts, read 175,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robione View Post
I can't be too quick to judge.. or become too impatient and anzy. It could work out just fine. When I feel something it's pretty intense at first. I just have to let time take the edge off, see what happens at Bakken, and check out some of the places in my picture.

There was a lot of Photoshopping in that collage LOL. Every pic needed the hiring sign and business name extracted, then placed together. It was overcast all day so the lighting wasn't too good. Contrast and brightness adjustments. Then flattening all 22 images, rescaling them, pasting them, (re)arranging them... extending the collage canvas 'cause I ran out of room LOL.

Robione, thanks for the great updates! Well today was only your first day knocking on doors, so I'm sure that things will get better for you upon checking things out for a few days. Good luck to you, and please keep us posted on your job search adventures. Your write some very great posts! Also, you did a totally AWESOME job on your collage. It was just outstanding!

Nick

Old 04-03-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robione View Post

I looked at it again this morning and I really like it, I'm not proficient in Photoshop, so I can only imagine the time involved - it gives a great insight into Minot and it's need for service workers.

I may have missed it, but have you been to Job Service? They are located on the north edge of Minot, might not hurt to stop in there, some people have reported they haven't had any luck there, but they have to be helping someone, sometime or other. I would try it if I were you, no reason to leave any rock unturned while you are here.

Best of luck, I have really enjoyed your posts .

Old 04-03-2012, 12:54 PM

53 posts, read 323,207 times
Maybe you should find a job in desktop design looks like you are pretty good. I called the job service today and they told me if I am applying online at their webpage I really don't need to come in. I did find out they are having a resume workshop next Wednesday. I suppose it I haven't found a job by then I will go to the workshop maybe they can help mix it up a bit (resume). I did find a temporary job service; Personnel Services in Minot and they told they are looking for all types of work; truck drivers, Construction, and he has positions to fill in the oil field. Have you tried them? Anyway good luck to you, today was my husband 1st day of work. Hopefully in a couple of days I will be saying that too.Blessings K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota