Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2022, 07:18 AM

9,867 posts, read 7,740,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Yes, I do. Just got back from a family wedding that was a long time in the making, and we had an absolutely wonderful time. We've had our ups and downs as a family, and right now my father is terminally ill, which puts a damper on things, but overall I love spending time with everyone. They're really great people!
We also had a fabulous time at a family wedding this summer. People flew in from all over the country and we basically took over the hotel for 3 days. We had so much fun seeing everyone all together. It doesn't happen often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2022, 06:37 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,403,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
This will sound bad, but it's like swallowing a bitter pill for me (and him, he calls it 'brutal'). It's completely obligatory for both of us with certain family members.

But my husband's parents are dysfunctional and so is my family (drunks) so it's difficult for many reasons. I feel like I drag my body over there. This will also sound bad, but I really wish our next move was at a distance where we didn't have to visit so much.

Anyone else? Why or why not?
I used to. Wish I still could.

Old 11-07-2022, 12:37 PM

16,416 posts, read 8,223,904 times
I enjoy visits with my parents, particularly by dad but that's about it these days. I had a family dinner with some aunts, uncles and cousins recently who have annoyed me for various reasons over the years (mostly using my mom for things and doing nothing for her) and it wasn't fun.

Old 11-10-2022, 07:57 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,045,926 times
My family? My brothers for sure. They're great guys. The older we get, the closer we get.

Meanwhile, my sister is a rampant narcissist, traits that she got from our mother. Everything is about her at all times. She forms instant opinions on any topic, regardless of how little she knows on the subject, and won't budget.

Case in point? My nephew and I over dinner were discussing the book Into Thin Air by Krakauer, about an Everest climb that turned into a disaster. My sister catches it and chimes in, "Everest? Pfft. Anybody could climb Mount Everest. I could do it next week." Never mind that one-tenth of all people who attempt it die, that you are literally stepping over the bodies on the way to the summit. According to my sister? Easy-cheesy. There's practically a gift shop at the top.

And my mother isn't happy unless she's slicing and dicing someone.

My in-laws are roughly the same. They literally sit in the den twelve hours a day and trash anybody and everybody. How others live their lives, how they spend their money, how they raise their kids, you name it.

Case in point? Last Thanksgiving, we pull in after a three-hour drive. My father-in-law is watching a football game. I grab a beer and sit down. I am in my seat literally ten seconds when a commercial comes on.

"Let me ask you a question." Uh oh.
"Shoot."

"Why are there so many black people in commercials." Really? Really? You're going to open with that?

I think how best to answer this without ruining Thanksgiving entirely. As it is, it's going to be a long freaking weekend. Finally:
"Why do you even care?"
What follows is this long rambling diatribe on how there are too many black people on television and how he disapproves of interracial marriage. Finally, he peters out. My reply?
"Yeah, I don't agree. And who someone marries isn't my business." Followed by a swift change of subject.

My wife's sister is awesome and she married a great guy. And my brother-in-law's wife is pretty cool, too. But the rest of them? Let's just say that I usually need an outing halfway through the weekend for the sake of my sanity. My brother's wife has to go to a couple of AA meetings just to get through the weekend with them. And when we pull out of the driveway on Sunday morning for home, it's all I can do to not pull a Dukes Of Hazzard kind of exit with squealing tires and doughnuts on the driveway. That's how bad it is.

Old 11-11-2022, 07:32 AM

307 posts, read 256,158 times
As I've gotten older, there are fewer family members who I enjoy spending time with. Things aren't the same as they were years ago and some people have grown very bitter and crabby. My parents are both divorced and remarried and it's awkward to have them both around at the same time. My only sibling is completely self absorbed and dysfunctional. My relationship with my extended family is nearly non-existent...mainly due to lack of common interests and personality differences. My husband's family is also a mess...they never got their $h*t together and it shows. It's just not enjoyable so presently he and I are focusing on making our home as enjoyable as possible with our kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships