Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 11:42 AM

52,322 posts, read 52,784,279 times

Advertisements

It feels like doing time to me. My weekends and free time is precious to me. Work saps the life out of a person at times and sometimes you just wanna do your own thing.

My dad is extremely annoying to visit. First off, he's out of state, so I have to rent a car, as mine is older and I don't trust it for long trips. Then I have to get a hotel room. I can't stand staying at other peoples houses. Then my dad and I don't have anything in common at all. I mean we're 180 in just about every thing there is to be different about. He's getting old and bitter about things, IDK. I usually see him for a day and a half. We drive up in the morning get there about 2 or so, we both visit with him and have dinner. The next day I spend with him alone we usually go out have lunch and then a couple of beers at one of those old fogy lodges that old white men seem to like. Then I split the next morning. That's about as long as I can stand it. Longer than that and he usually starts to meddle into my life and start nitpicking things. That day and a half is about it.

My mom has pass and when Mrs. Chow's dad was alive we typically rotated between seeing her dad and her mom since my dad is out of state. Now that her dad is gone we just see Mrs. Chow's mom. She's a nice lady but IDK, seeing her was always the easiest out of the lot of our parents. She's pretty easy going, but again, after a long work week I just want to be alone and do something with Mrs. Chow. I feel bad for her mom because she's alone now, her spouse died some yrs ago. We try and see her more. Mrs. Chow's brother rarely goes to visit and it pisses me off, if him and his wife stepped up a bit more we can spread it around and plus her mom would obviously have more people seeing her, but whatever, that isn't gonna happen and there's a long story around that one.

Last edited by Chowhound; 03-07-2016 at 12:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2022, 03:09 PM

27 posts, read 12,687 times
I was just thinking about this. I have very loving parents, but I really only see them out of obligation. When I visit, they just talk and talk and talk and talk and talk about nothing important. Then they insist that I eat their food which isn't very good. They always want me to visit on the weekends, but I honestly get so much more joy out of doing just about anything on my own. I'm just not a very social person anyway, really a loner. I'm nice and pretend that I enjoy the visits, but in the back of my head I just think about how quickly I can leave without being rude or making it obvious that I want to leave.

Old 10-01-2022, 03:42 PM

23,243 posts, read 29,093,501 times
I just bought a new phone 2 months ago, with a new telephone number, and no one in my immediate family now knows my phone number and oh what a relief it is!!!

Friends are the siblings God never gave us. Old saying.

An invisible steel wall separates people today, and you stay on your side of the steel wall, and I'll stay on my side.

Old 10-02-2022, 07:14 AM

9,881 posts, read 7,766,278 times
Seven year old thread with posts from Eternal Members. I wonder how many family members of other posters have passed away since and does anyone wish they had visited them more before they died.

Old 10-02-2022, 11:38 AM

11,085 posts, read 6,929,389 times
Yes, that does give one pause...

I do enjoy visiting family, but I only see a select few. My son is a man of few words so I have to prepare myself, LOL. I know he loves me, he's just a man of few words. He's like that with everyone. Sometimes he's chattier than usual. My father, 100, is a joy to be around. He's curious, interesting, easy going, and I am really going to miss him when he's gone. We have conversations like no other I've had in my lifetime. A lot of my relatives feel that way about him.

Old 10-02-2022, 02:07 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,134,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
This will sound bad, but it's like swallowing a bitter pill for me (and him, he calls it 'brutal'). It's completely obligatory for both of us with certain family members.

But my husband's parents are dysfunctional and so is my family (drunks) so it's difficult for many reasons. I feel like I drag my body over there. This will also sound bad, but I really wish our next move was at a distance where we didn't have to visit so much.

Anyone else? Why or why not?
I loved being around my grandparents, but I dread other family events and visits. I just feel as though I’m 13 again, and judged accordingly.

Old 10-02-2022, 09:04 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,398,587 times
Funny how: when family members aren't alive anymore people wish they had seen them more often.

Old 10-02-2022, 09:22 PM

19,850 posts, read 9,412,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Funny how: when family members aren't alive anymore people wish they had seen them more often.
Not true for me.

When family members are toxic, I think -- at least this is true in my case -- that they might regret all the time they wasted trying to please relatives when nothing was good enough to please them. (Meaning the number of times i did visit them.)

Old 10-03-2022, 07:41 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,074,925 times
Yes I do. I have only 1 sibling and her family so I make the most of it that I can. They live at a distance though, so it's not often that I see them.

Old 10-03-2022, 08:25 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,786,605 times
The only family I visit on any kind of continual basis is my mom. If it is not a quick afternoon visit when I go up to Northern VA for work and I stay a couple of days, I at least prepare my expectations for what comes so I don’t get burned out during the visit.

I do want to go visit some of my extended family on my late father’s side over the next year so I can grow and develop those relationships. Just because my father and I had our differences doesn’t mean it has to be that way for his side entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships