Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 10:34 PM

2 posts, read 33,472 times

Advertisements

My family and my cousin's family would like to move from Brooklyn to somewhere probably north of Rockland County. My cousin's family would prefer to be somewhere near a thriving Jewish community. They don't need an ultra-Orthodox population, but will send their kids to good yeshivahs and need a walking-distance shul. My family needs a public school system that rocks out in test scores and curricula for our kids, and for our homeowning experience, somewhere where the taxes aren't killer. What's available for us in the Hudson Valley, Central NY, and everything that isn't Long Island, Kiryas Joel, Western NY or Northern NY? I'm unfamiliar with everything outside of Rockland; please let me know counties and neighborhoods! Thanks for any advice!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 06:49 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
Dewitt, NY or that far east side of Syracuse, right on the border of the city limits. Orvilton neighborhood, along East Genesee Street. Jamesville-Dewitt school district. If you do a search of real estate in zip code 13214 on www.prudentialproperties.com, it will not only provide you with total taxes (broken down into who gets what) but also the school district, to make sure that you find a house in "JD."

There's an enormous Judaic presence, here in CNY (Onondaga County), and you'll find no problems with fitting in, so to speak. I'd suggest my own Manlius area to you but it isn't within walking distance of a temple. Just as an example of the welcoming feel though, there are stars of David hung intermittently with snowflakes around Christmas/Hannukah time, in our village. A menorah lighting ceremony that follows Jewish custom... HUGE menorah, in the center of the village, around 10 feet tall. Our schools also all close on Jewish holidays. I had no idea, growing up, that the rest of the country didn't do the same. lol - "it's Yom Kippur- yay, we have the day off!"

Syracuse Jewish Federation
JCC of Syracuse
Syracuse Jewish Family Service
Chabad House-Lubavitch - Your home for everything Jewish

Temples

Beth Sholom Congregation
18 Patsy Ln, Jamesville, NY
(315) 446-5125 Website
  1. <LI id=srs_rpt1_ctl00_sritem_resultsItemContainer class=llsResultItem>Temple Society of Concord
    910 Madison St, Syracuse, NY
    (315) 475-9952 Website

Thank you for rating.
    Directions

<LI id=srs_rpt1_ctl01_sritem_resultsItemContainer class=llsResultItem>2
    Temple Adath Yeshurun
    450 Kimber Rd, Syracuse, NY
    (315) 445-0002 Website

Thank you for rating.
    Directions

<LI id=srs_rpt1_ctl02_sritem_resultsItemContainer class=llsResultItem>3
    New Beth Israel
    601 Irving Ave, Syracuse, NY
    (315) 425-1400 Website

Thank you for rating.
    Directions

<LI id=srs_rpt1_ctl03_sritem_resultsItemContainer class=llsResultItem>4
    Young Israel Shaarei Torah
    4313 E Genesee St, Syracuse, NY
    (315) 446-6194

Thank you for rating.
    Directions

<LI id=srs_rpt1_ctl04_sritem_resultsItemContainer class=llsResultItem>5
    Payton Temple
    1816 Midland Ave, Syracuse, NY
    (315) 214-8893

Thank you for rating.
    Directions

<LI id=srs_rpt1_ctl05_sritem_resultsItemContainer class=llsResultItem>6
    Bochasanwasi Shree Akshar
    1990 Meadowbrook Dr, Syracuse, NY
    (315) 445-3034

Rangrig Yeshe

<LI id=srs_rpt1_ctl07_sritem_resultsItemContainer class=llsResultItem>313 E Willow St, Syracuse, NY
    (315) 449-2305

Thank you for rating.
    Directions

<LI id=srs_rpt1_ctl08_sritem_resultsItemContainer class=llsResultItem>9
    Chabad House-Lubavitch
    113 Berkeley Dr, Syracuse, NY
    (315) 424-0363

Directions

2. 10
    Congregation Ner Tamid
    Map location is approximate
    5061 W Taft Rd, North Syracuse, NY
    (315) 458-2022 Website

Directions

Old 03-22-2010, 09:07 AM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Dewitt, NY or that far east side of Syracuse, right on the border of the city limits. Orvilton neighborhood, along East Genesee Street. Jamesville-Dewitt school district. If you do a search of real estate in zip code 13214 on www.prudentialproperties.com, it will not only provide you with total taxes (broken down into who gets what) but also the school district, to make sure that you find a house in "JD."

There's an enormous Judaic presence, here in CNY (Onondaga County), and you'll find no problems with fitting in, so to speak. I'd suggest my own Manlius area to you but it isn't within walking distance of a temple. Just as an example of the welcoming feel though, there are stars of David hung intermittently with snowflakes around Christmas/Hannukah time, in our village. A menorah lighting ceremony that follows Jewish custom... HUGE menorah, in the center of the village, around 10 feet tall. Our schools also all close on Jewish holidays. I had no idea, growing up, that the rest of the country didn't do the same. lol - "it's Yom Kippur- yay, we have the day off!"

Syracuse Jewish Federation
JCC of Syracuse
Syracuse Jewish Family Service
Chabad House-Lubavitch - Your home for everything Jewish

Temples

Beth Sholom Congregation
18 Patsy Ln, Jamesville, NY
(315) 446-5125 Website
  1. <LI id=srs_rpt1_ctl00_sritem_resultsItemContainer class=llsResultItem>Temple Society of Concord
    910 Madison St, Syracuse, NY
    (315) 475-9952 Website

Thank you for rating.
    Directions

<LI id=srs_rpt1_ctl01_sritem_resultsItemContainer class=llsResultItem>2
    Temple Adath Yeshurun
    450 Kimber Rd, Syracuse, NY
    (315) 445-0002 Website

Thank you for rating.
    Directions

<LI id=srs_rpt1_ctl02_sritem_resultsItemContainer class=llsResultItem>3
    New Beth Israel
    601 Irving Ave, Syracuse, NY
    (315) 425-1400 Website

Thank you for rating.
    Directions

<LI id=srs_rpt1_ctl03_sritem_resultsItemContainer class=llsResultItem>4
    Young Israel Shaarei Torah
    4313 E Genesee St, Syracuse, NY
    (315) 446-6194

Thank you for rating.
    Directions

<LI id=srs_rpt1_ctl04_sritem_resultsItemContainer class=llsResultItem>5
    Payton Temple
    1816 Midland Ave, Syracuse, NY
    (315) 214-8893

Thank you for rating.
    Directions

<LI id=srs_rpt1_ctl05_sritem_resultsItemContainer class=llsResultItem>6
    Bochasanwasi Shree Akshar
    1990 Meadowbrook Dr, Syracuse, NY
    (315) 445-3034

Rangrig Yeshe

<LI id=srs_rpt1_ctl07_sritem_resultsItemContainer class=llsResultItem>313 E Willow St, Syracuse, NY
    (315) 449-2305

Thank you for rating.
    Directions

<LI id=srs_rpt1_ctl08_sritem_resultsItemContainer class=llsResultItem>9
    Chabad House-Lubavitch
    113 Berkeley Dr, Syracuse, NY
    (315) 424-0363

Directions

2. 10
    Congregation Ner Tamid
    Map location is approximate
    5061 W Taft Rd, North Syracuse, NY
    (315) 458-2022 Website

Directions

I was going to say that Jamesville-DeWitt is a slam dunk in this regard. Like proulxfamily said, the Orvilton area off of East Genesee street would be perfect. There are shops in that area and it is more walkable now than it had been in the past. Fayetteville-Manlius area would work too.

In terms of other areas in Upstate NY, New Hartford in the Utica area might be a good fit as much of the Jewish community is in South Utica and new Hartford, which is adjacent to South Utica.

In the Rochester area, Brighton and parts of Henrietta would be a slam dunk. In the Buffalo area, Williamsville or Amherst would fit. In the Albany-Schenectady -Troy area, I believe that Bethlehem, Guilderland and Niskayuna would be a good fit. In the Binghamton area, Vestal would work.

There are synagogues in the smaller cities and towns in Upstate NY too. Here's information that might help you out: USCJ Empire Region - Synagogues

New York State

Category Listings

Syracuse Jewish Federation (http://www.sjfed.org/index.html - broken link)

Jewish Community Foundation of CNY

The Jewish Community Federation of the Mohawk Valley (http://www.jccutica.net/home.html - broken link)

Jewish Federation of Broome County

http://www.jfedbflo.com/index.aspx?page=1

Welcome to Jewish Rochester

Ithaca Area United Jewish Community

Old 07-21-2015, 05:30 AM

I'll try to add more information to this thread, as it apparently is still being viewed. Just off the top of my head, I know that Watertown and Oswego have a temple/synagogue. I believe that some Jews live on Binghamton's West Side, Syracuse's East Side and in North Buffalo as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-21-2015 at 05:48 AM..

Old 07-21-2015, 06:42 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Perhaps you should check with your local Shul/Yeshiva and see what communities upstate they are familiar with and could recommend.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:17 AM

Another thing that someone can look into is actually when sporting events for certain schools occur in relation to Jewish holidays. For instance, Jamesville-DeWitt and Fayetteville-Manlius both played on the Thursday night before Yom Kippur, which was on a Friday and Saturday(October 3rd and 4th) in 2014. There are others that do this as well.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:25 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Why upstate NY? Scranton, PA and vicinity has what you're looking for and is a lot closer to NYC than Syracuse. Just don't settle in the city itself where the wage tax is 3.4%

Old 07-21-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Why upstate NY? Scranton, PA and vicinity has what you're looking for and is a lot closer to NYC than Syracuse. Just don't settle in the city itself where the wage tax is 3.4%
Does the Scranton area have a community with a visible/thriving Jewish presence?

I also think that the OP at the time was looking into various parts of Upstate NY. This may help(view at around page 59): http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...vDNvKPFrHDz7gw

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-21-2015 at 09:10 AM..

Old 07-21-2015, 11:28 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Does the Scranton area have a community with a visible/thriving Jewish presence?
OP, have a gander at the link below.

Would I be the only Jew in NEPA?

Old 07-21-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
OP, have a gander at the link below.

Would I be the only Jew in NEPA?
Cool thread! It sounds like the Hill in Scranton is similar to Syracuse's East Side(from around University Hill to the DeWitt/city line south of East Genesee Street) or other city neighborhoods(SE Rochester, North Buffalo, SW Albany, etc.)with a Jewish concentration or at least historically speaking. Syracuse University is known for having a high percentage of students of a Jewish background(about 20-25%) and a few blocks from campus is the 9th oldest synagogue/temple in the country and a Chabad House. There are a couple of congregations just within the town of DeWitt. Actually, Dolph Schayes, a former NBA player with the Syracuse Nationals and arguably the best Jewish Basketball player ever, lives in DeWitt. His son, Danny, was an 18 year NBA pro.

I also believe that comedian Jeff Altman, a native that grew up on the East Side and graduated from Nottingham High, is also Jewish.

The JCC is also in DeWitt, which is also where the Syracuse Hebrew Day School is located and Charney's, a long time Men's clothing store in the area, is owned by a Jewish family with locations in DeWitt and Clay.

If I'm not mistaken, Jewish families, if they don't put their children in public schools or the Hebrew Day School(K-6), may go with private Pre K-12 school Manlius-Pebble Hill or even nearby Catholic options(Holy Cross(Pre K-6) or Christian Brothers Academy (7-12).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-21-2015 at 06:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York