Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:06 PM

31 posts, read 403,783 times

Advertisements

I saw today Ratner was granted a break on the purchase of land from the LIRR.
This comes in light of the news last month on the appeals being denied.

This project has been in the works, and held up, for a long time.
I wanted to know for those you who might be more in the loop

1) Is this project actually going to happen?
-What is the likelihood it occurs and the timeframe as to when construction begins and ends?
-I read that if does not start by the end of this year...it has a shaky chance of ever occouring.

2) What impact do you think the arena, if built, would have?
-Specifically, do you think the Nets would become a lot more established and popular in New York City/Long Island/and the overall metro area?
-Right now...it seems the Knicks have a monopoly on basketball fans in the NY market. There does not seem to be ANY fanbase for the Nets...the get virtually no press, you rarely see people wearing their clothes or talking about them, and even when they were good attendance was low.
-I'm wondering if they moved to Brooklyn if they would become a legitimate threat to the Knicks and if not, at the very least would they become a viable fanbase like the Mets/Jets?

-I am a Ranger fan and Knick hater. One of the things I can't stand about the Knicks is the very fact they have a monopoly on the metro market while we have the Islanders and Devils to deal with (both who seem to have a least some fanbase in the area).
I'm hoping this happens so the Knicks can actually have to compete for fans and not have so it easy anymore with having a partisan, undivided local base.
On the other hand I'm wondering if a Nets move to Brooklyn would hurt the Rangers as if the Nets might leap over the Rangers on totem pole of popularity and take away from press/publicity for them.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 04:00 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
It's beginning to look like that arena will happen. The NBA just granted the Nets a price break, and the franchise has declared that the words "New Jersey" will be removed from their road jerseys, in preparation for their move to Brooklyn. (I do believe that the Brooklyn Nets will give the Knicks a kick in the pants--and as a lifelong Knickerbocker fan, I can't say that's going to be a bad thing! It will also push their rivalry up to an entirely new level).

Old 06-25-2009, 09:06 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
I'll tell you the truth.....I don't think it's happening! And to make a bold prediction, the economy is so bad that I think Ratner will bail out and sell. And some Jersey investers, with some help from Cory Booker, will pick up slack and put the Nets in the Pru, in Downtown Newark!

Old 07-08-2009, 10:40 PM

28 posts, read 25,620 times
Will it be built?

Old 07-08-2009, 11:12 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It's beginning to look like that arena will happen. The NBA just granted the Nets a price break, and the franchise has declared that the words "New Jersey" will be removed from their road jerseys, in preparation for their move to Brooklyn. (I do believe that the Brooklyn Nets will give the Knicks a kick in the pants--and as a lifelong Knickerbocker fan, I can't say that's going to be a bad thing! It will also push their rivalry up to an entirely new level).
Wow they better go to Brooklyn now. I think they started out as the New York Nets anyway. I remember watching the news in June and I think they said the plans are going through.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:58 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
The last news I heard on this was that it was definitely going through, but a much tamer, scaled down version from what was originally planned. Personally for that, if they are going to scale it down that much, I feel the Nets would be better off staying in New Jersey where they could move to Newark and share a pretty nice arena with the Devils.

New $100M deal for Brooklyn arena that would house New Jersey Nets unveiled - ESPN

Old 07-09-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
The last news I heard on this was that it was definitely going through, but a much tamer, scaled down version from what was originally planned. Personally for that, if they are going to scale it down that much, I feel the Nets would be better off staying in New Jersey where they could move to Newark and share a pretty nice arena with the Devils.

New $100M deal for Brooklyn arena that would house New Jersey Nets unveiled - ESPN
I could be wrong about this, but I believe that the prospect of sharing an arena is one of the main reasons why the Nets WANT TO move to Brooklyn. If you're sharing the place, you don't always get the home dates you might want--it's an entirely different story when the house is yours.

And let's face it: there's a bit of marketing strategy involved. "Brooklyn Nets" is worth more than "New Jersey Nets." People from the other side of the Hudson may not like to hear it, but it's true whether they like it or not. And playing in Brooklyn will amp up their rivalry with the Knicks.

Oh, and to Infamous92: the team was originally the New Jersey Americans. I think they played in Jersey City. But they soon moved to the Commack Arena on Long Island, where they became the New York Nets.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:06 AM

28 posts, read 25,620 times
Is this going to make the Nets legitimate with the NY metro fanbase?

Old 07-11-2009, 01:10 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
Default not happening

This is will not happen. This is New York, home of too many lawyers, too much taxes, too many laws within a devastated economy. Growth, ideas and vibrancy have been fully stymied. Starting something new here makes you vulnerable to the many parasites that dwell here, big projects like this will only be part of the past. Beyond the local issues why would anyone want to build a product around something like the NBA? This league is losing money by the millions every month, this game peaked in the early 1990's during the Bird/Magic/Jordan era.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
This is will not happen. This is New York, home of too many lawyers, too much taxes, too many laws within a devastated economy. Growth, ideas and vibrancy have been fully stymied. Starting something new here makes you vulnerable to the many parasites that dwell here, big projects like this will only be part of the past. Beyond the local issues why would anyone want to build a product around something like the NBA? This league is losing money by the millions every month, this game peaked in the early 1990's during the Bird/Magic/Jordan era.
I think you're wrong about the arena. Even if much of the rest of the Atlantic Yards project gets delayed or even eliminated, I believe the arena will be built.

I also think you're in the minority with your opinion about the NBA, although I'll concede that its television ratings may certainly have peaked in the 90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City