Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 06:07 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayfielder View Post
Is this going to make the Nets legitimate with the NY metro fanbase?
Sure, the Nets started out in New York before they left for Jersey in the late 70's. Back when they had Dr. J. It was the Knicks and teh NBA who sort of chased them out with a $5 million "penalty" for playing on the Knicks turf after the ABA/NBA merger. I'm sure you could put "Brooklyn" in front of just about any sports franchise today and they will be commerically successful. Now we just need to get the Giants and Jets out of NJ, which will never happen now that they're getting a new stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 10:04 AM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
I hope it doesn't happen. I'm in favor of development, but Ratner is terrible. Let Jersey keep their franchises--Brooklyn can get along fine without them.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:31 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Now we just need to get the Giants and Jets out of NJ, which will never happen now that they're getting a new stadium.
It pains me that this is happening. What?, now we gotta wait like another thirty/fourty years to get football played in our city. To have any chance? New yorkers shouldnt have to leave their state to see their own team play

Old 07-14-2009, 10:43 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
Default taxpayers getting robbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
It pains me that this is happening. What?, now we gotta wait like another thirty/fourty years to get football played in our city. To have any chance? New yorkers shouldnt have to leave their state to see their own team play
They are not going to get football back to New York or the outer boroughs. The Jet/Giants are only paying $6.3 million a year rent for the new stadium that cost more than any other stadium in the NFL at $1.4 billion. The taxpayers of New Jersey got molested in that deal while the two teams made out like bandits. The earliest the Jets can leave is 15 years from now.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:14 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I'll tell you the truth.....I don't think it's happening! And to make a bold prediction, the economy is so bad that I think Ratner will bail out and sell. And some Jersey investers, with some help from Cory Booker, will pick up slack and put the Nets in the Pru, in Downtown Newark!
One out of three ain't bad.

It will happen.

Ratner bailed out and sold, to the Russians! (predicted this one!)

Newark/Booker's not coming near the Nets!

Old 09-27-2009, 12:19 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
They are not going to get football back to New York or the outer boroughs. The Jet/Giants are only paying $6.3 million a year rent for the new stadium that cost more than any other stadium in the NFL at $1.4 billion. The taxpayers of New Jersey got molested in that deal while the two teams made out like bandits. The earliest the Jets can leave is 15 years from now.
That's football for you, at least we have teams theoretically in our backyard. Imagine if you live in L.A., and area almost as big as here, and yet your nearest team is the Chargers.....it would be like the "New York" Jets and Giants playing in Philly or Albany or Hartford.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:01 PM

445 posts, read 1,448,231 times
I think the arena will probably be built, especially with the new Russian investor. I very much doubt, though, that the affordable housing which was supposed to be part of the project is ever going to happen.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:07 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillife View Post
I think the arena will probably be built, especially with the new Russian investor. I very much doubt, though, that the affordable housing which was supposed to be part of the project is ever going to happen.
I think the housing will happen too, but it's going to be last on the list. Politics and bureaucracy will guarantee that.

Old 01-24-2024, 10:38 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I know this is an old thread, but here is an Atlantic Yards Community Development Corporation meeting from yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxBx5WFKfV4

More information about the Atlantic Yards CDC: https://esd.ny.gov/atlantic-yards-co...-corporation-1

Old 01-24-2024, 10:36 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I know this is an old thread, but here is an Atlantic Yards Community Development Corporation meeting from yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxBx5WFKfV4

More information about the Atlantic Yards CDC: https://esd.ny.gov/atlantic-yards-co...-corporation-1
Norman Oder still runs his Atlantic Yards/Pacific Park Report site, well over a decade later.

Here's his writeup on the meeting.

https://atlanticyardsreport.blogspot...g-project.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City