Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 08:54 AM

187 posts, read 449,210 times

Advertisements

I have been struggling to sell my 2bd/1ba coop on the UES. It's in the prime location, 24 hr doorman, Whole Foods around the corner, private garage, zoned for 2 great schools.

Put on the market in Feb at 830K, 4 people showed up at the first open house, one offer followed a couple of weeks later. But that offer was rescinded by that person - he found something else.

Later on, the open houses were disappointing - few people were coming, sometimes no one. We have been lowering the asking price continuously in steps. It's now priced at 749K, just 20K above the price we paid in 2014. Yet, only 1 person signed up for the upcoming open house on Sunday. It's not that people offer too little - no one is even coming or offering anything. A few years ago, this would sell in days.

Working with the professional realtor who's sold lots of coops. The pictures are great, I repainted the living room in white to make it look nicer. Still - the market for this type of property seems dead.

The most puzzling aspect of this as we have dropped the price from 799 to 775 to 749 - I have not seen any uptick in interest/activity/open house attendance. Don't know what to do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2024, 09:05 AM

3 posts, read 911 times
The interest rates are too high right now. Maybe rent for a while, if you are not living there.

Old 04-12-2024, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprovenz View Post
The interest rates are too high right now. Maybe rent for a while, if you are not living there.
I might have to, but the problem is that renting it out is difficult. Not only the board needs to approve the renters, which slows down the process, there is also an application fee that I would have to pay part of the rent to the board every month + this is limited to 2 years.

I would prefer to sell, but if I cannot sell by mid summer, may have to rent it out, correct.

Old 04-12-2024, 09:19 AM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
What's the maintenance?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-12-2024, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What's the maintenance?
This is a very good question. The maintenance is average for this type of coop in this neighborhood for 2024. All the 24hr doorman buildings have seen an increase in maintenance costs due to the rising building insurance + rising labor costs, associated with the doorman/workers union.

So it's now $2,280/mo for the 925 sq ft apartment.

Old 04-12-2024, 09:31 AM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoNYC View Post
This is a very good question. The maintenance is average for this type of coop in this neighborhood for 2024. All the 24hr doorman buildings have seen an increase in maintenance costs due to the rising building insurance + rising labor costs, associated with the doorman/workers union.

So it's now $2,280/mo for the 925 sq ft apartment.
That's a tough cookie, along with the mortgage. That combined with it being a 2 bdrm is most likely the reason why it's not selling. If you had a 3 bdrm it would have been sold already. Either drop your price or take it off the market. I bet if you lowered it to 600 it would be gone. Is it convertible to 3 bdrm at least? Maybe you should consult with an architect who can provide a potential renovated 3 bdrm floor plan with the listing if you really want to sell.

Think about it like this, would you buy your apartment all cash?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-12-2024, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
That's a tough cookie, along with the mortgage. That combined with it being a 2 bdrm is most likely the reason why it's not selling. If you had a 3 bdrm it would have been sold already. Either drop your price or take it off the market. I bet if you lowered it to 600 it would be gone. Is it convertible to 3 bdrm at least? Maybe you should consult with an architect who can provide a potential renovated 3 bdrm floor plan with the listing if you really want to sell.

Think about it like this, would you buy your apartment all cash?
I would buy my apartment all cash IF I really wanted to live on the UES close to everything (Whole Foods, Q train & 4/5/6), good schools, etc. We moved here for the schools and the convenience. Both elementary and middle schools are very good. Before Covid this area was very hot, and the real estate prices were climbing. After the Q train & Whole Foods opened, things looked quite bright.

I agree that we should be reducing the price, that's why we reduced from the initial 830K to the current 749K. And frankly, people can make much lower offers, this is just the asking price. The problem is getting people in the door to even look at the apartment.

It's not convertible to 3br, and at 925 sq feet, it would not work anyway. And any conversions would be way too expensive to be worth, considering all the approvals and time to do them.

Old 04-12-2024, 09:46 AM

106,572 posts, read 108,713,667 times
A one bedroom can be hard to sell

Old 04-12-2024, 09:48 AM

106,572 posts, read 108,713,667 times
A one bedroom can be hard to sell but a two bedroom is easier

That maintenance can be a killer.

We see apartments moving quickly in our old building at 200 Central Park south but it’s a more upscale crowd

Old 04-12-2024, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
A one bedroom can be hard to sell but a two bedroom is easier

That maintenance can be a killer
ok, but it is in line with all the other coops. When we bought in 2014, it was $1750. For a full time doorman bldg, it's not out of the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: