Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2024, 11:10 AM

106,569 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

not the case with co-ops ..they all are different …

in fact many buildings that are conversions may still have quite a few renters left .

all the coops we owned allowed rentals . they just had to be approved by the board and 1 year min
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2024, 06:45 AM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times
It's funny seeing this thread because with all the talk about unaffordable rents and housing and bidding wars my mom who is a semi-retired realtor who specialized in coops in the Bronx and Westchester tells me how difficult selling 1 and 2 br coops are right now despite all the media hype (part of why she's basically retired although she still has her real estate license and can sell if she wants to). This thread kind of proves what she's saying, good luck!

Glad I sold my Westchester coop in 2019 and went back to renting for now.....

Old 04-14-2024, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
It's funny seeing this thread because with all the talk about unaffordable rents and housing and bidding wars my mom who is a semi-retired realtor who specialized in coops in the Bronx and Westchester tells me how difficult selling 1 and 2 br coops are right now despite all the media hype (part of why she's basically retired although she still has her real estate license and can sell if she wants to). This thread kind of proves what she's saying, good luck!

we were looking in hartsdale at one point at a 2 bedroom condo in high point .

https://www.compass.com/homes-for-sa...2,-73.7908892/

same story though as here in bay terrace queens , 450k -500k or so to buy and 1700-2k a month taxes and hoa fees

not worth it to take a minimum of 18k cut in cash flow to buy vs renting and investing that money

Old 04-14-2024, 08:46 AM

1,238 posts, read 311,180 times
Quote:

The middle to slightly upper middle class market is hurting in NYC. It’s a confluence of factors mainly driven by the lower appeal of the city as well as relatively high interest rates in savings.

Up to about a year ago, my wife and I were actively looking in NYC. We were looking at condos/ coops/ homes in Brooklyn and Manhattan. Now NYC isn’t even an option. We’re also not in a hurry to buy because the interest, post tax, that our down payment money is collecting is paying for 6 months of rent currently.
We’re not the only ones in this position.

Old 04-14-2024, 08:52 AM

187 posts, read 449,210 times
Quote:

Thanks for the wishes. Yes, it seems close to impossible. Started with 830K (per the advice from my realtor, who has sold the apartments in the area for 20 years) down to 749K now, and we have only 1 person wanting to see it at the previously scheduled Sunday open house. Amazingly low demand.

Old 04-14-2024, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
The middle to slightly upper middle class market is hurting in NYC. It’s a confluence of factors mainly driven by the lower appeal of the city as well as relatively high interest rates in savings.

Up to about a year ago, my wife and I were actively looking in NYC. We were looking at condos/ coops/ homes in Brooklyn and Manhattan. Now NYC isn’t even an option. We’re also not in a hurry to buy because the interest, post tax, that our down payment money is collecting is paying for 6 months of rent currently.
We’re not the only ones in this position.
Exactly right. I think this is the reason for all this pain. Unfortunately, I need to sell at the wrong time for the market.

Old 04-14-2024, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_in_time View Post
$749k for a 2 bedroom apartment on the Upper East Side in a building with a doorman?

That is dirt cheap, I'll buy it and rent it out.
Renting is a huge pain in any coop. In ours, need to pay the initial fee for the application (like $1000 or so), and pay to the board 10% of the rent. Need to get a permission from the board to rent. This is only allowed for 2 years. One can get a permission to rent for the 3rd year, but it has be exceptional circumstances and the monthly fee goes up to 25%. That's why no one is buying coops as investment properties. It's not worth it.

Old 04-14-2024, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Looking at the price range for the Ues , it’s the lower end of prices

So that goes back to what I said about the effect of rising rates

It’s the lower end buyer who is effected the most and gets pushed out

Whether mortgage rates which are linked to bonds and not fed action on the short end will come down remains to be seen

Based on history it’s the short term rates that need to fall while bond rates hover in the current range in order to stop this inverted yield curve

So unless we have a recession where rates plunge across the board mortgages may stay around this level

I bought my first investment property in 1987 and was thrilled to get 8-1/4%
So what can one do to sell in this market? Unfortunately, I cannot wait for the better future and lower rates. I am in a bind.

Old 04-14-2024, 09:46 AM

Short of dumping it to an investor group not much

I know one we sold to but they generally only do high end and half or less value

All you can do is lower the price or try offering the broker a percent more if it sells in 30 days

You want them showing yours and not someone else’s

We offered an extra percent in the tough pocono market and saw more action

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-14-2024 at 10:09 AM..

Old 04-14-2024, 10:09 AM

1,238 posts, read 311,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoNYC View Post
So what can one do to sell in this market? Unfortunately, I cannot wait for the better future and lower rates. I am in a bind.
If you can wait until June -July, I would. You may catch someone who’s desperate and will pay closer to $800K and needs to buy something in that particular area in time for schools in September.

You can also try to see if your realtor can put out feelers for where the market is. If it’s closer to $700K currently then you’d have a choice to make.

You listed for $830K and are currently at $750K. That’s a pretty standard 10% discount in a bad market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: