Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 08:59 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times

Advertisements

Fascinating article on Williamsburg in the NY Times this week.

There has been a store for Hermes that is planned to open (or opened very recently) on north 6th street on the northside of the neighborhood. In addition, there is also a Chanel store, and many other high end/lux focused retailers open or opening in the neighborhood.

It's a tale of an area that went from drugs, murders and a prime place to pick up prostitutes in the 80s and 90s, to a trust fund/high earning neighborhood playground filled with luxury amenities, now in 2024.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-timeline.html

Personally, when I moved to NYC in April of 2001, I landed in south Williamsburg. Moved into the Gretsch Building loft on the 3rd floor, with a half view of the financial district and the World Trade Center. It was a gritty yet glorious area of past industrial prime, cheaper rents, artists everywhere, and a creative and weird scene at night that attracted the trendiest of everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2024, 09:20 AM

34,014 posts, read 47,240,427 times
I haven't been to Williamsburg in years, I honestly thought it would stay the same like the Lower East Side did after its Hells Square transformation, but I was definitely wrong about that. I guess Bushwick now is Williamsburg early 2000s.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-02-2024, 12:13 PM

1,239 posts, read 311,180 times
Bloomberg and Zoning reforms due to lower crime rates.

Old 02-02-2024, 01:13 PM

3,180 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Williamsburg proved it’s not about the location. It’s all about the koolaid.

Old 02-03-2024, 02:23 AM

34,014 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Williamsburg proved it’s not about the location. It’s all about the koolaid.
What Koolaid, same thing happened to SoHo is what happened to Williamsburg
A lot of people on here simply don't know the history of NYC and its evident by their posts
The thing that is crazy is that all this information is there on the Internet and ppl still don't use it
Lol

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-03-2024, 04:10 AM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Williamsburg was bound to pop.

First went all the trendies and art crowd who were driven out of Tribeca and SoHo (those that didn't buy back in day when getting was good and cheap). Then came the gays; and you know where gays go (especially white well off ones) full on gentrification is never far behind.

While they've lost some turf it is the Orthodox Jews of Williamsburg who remain one huge force against full frontal gentrification. Still it is interesting how the Satmar and hipsters have learned to coexist. https://www.timesofisrael.com/in-nyc...ounterculture/

Old 02-04-2024, 05:14 AM

1,239 posts, read 311,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Williamsburg was bound to pop.

First went all the trendies and art crowd who were driven out of Tribeca and SoHo (those that didn't buy back in day when getting was good and cheap). Then came the gays; and you know where gays go (especially white well off ones) full on gentrification is never far behind.

While they've lost some turf it is the Orthodox Jews of Williamsburg who remain one huge force against full frontal gentrification. Still it is interesting how the Satmar and hipsters have learned to coexist. https://www.timesofisrael.com/in-nyc...ounterculture/
Learned to co-exist? Who do you think owns/owned most of the RE in Williamsburg? It's Samar big-shots.

They're the ones who pushed for aggressive zoning reform in Williamsburg during the Bloomberg administration because they foresaw the demand once the city got cleaned up under Giuliani and started to boom under Bloomberg.

Old 02-04-2024, 02:47 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I haven't been to Williamsburg in years, I honestly thought it would stay the same like the Lower East Side did after its Hells Square transformation, but I was definitely wrong about that. I guess Bushwick now is Williamsburg early 2000s.

It was grungy back in the 70's .
Now it's just grungy with nice tall buildings.

Old 02-04-2024, 03:19 PM

3,180 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Can't get me to live there, it's not the best location for transit. Hardly any conveniences and area is noisy as hell with the traffic. Subways are horrible L and G are 2 of the worst train lines. The only reason it got popular because it was dirt cheap to live there in the 90s due to the crack drugs epidemic there and boarded up buildings being bought for cheap. Transplants are stupid, I still laugh when they tell me L train was shutdown by Cuomo due to service. It's one of the worst train lines.

Old 02-05-2024, 12:36 AM

313 posts, read 212,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Fascinating article on Williamsburg in the NY Times this week.

There has been a store for Hermes that is planned to open (or opened very recently) on north 6th street on the northside of the neighborhood. In addition, there is also a Chanel store, and many other high end/lux focused retailers open or opening in the neighborhood.

It's a tale of an area that went from drugs, murders and a prime place to pick up prostitutes in the 80s and 90s, to a trust fund/high earning neighborhood playground filled with luxury amenities, now in 2024.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-timeline.html

Personally, when I moved to NYC in April of 2001, I landed in south Williamsburg. Moved into the Gretsch Building loft on the 3rd floor, with a half view of the financial district and the World Trade Center. It was a gritty yet glorious area of past industrial prime, cheaper rents, artists everywhere, and a creative and weird scene at night that attracted the trendiest of everything.
You are apart of why Williamsburg is the way it is. You were the guinea pig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City