Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 10:05 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7continents View Post
This.....
There is a place literally at the end of my block and across the street. On a summer day when I had just seen my youngish neighbor walking her dog, I see her getting a delivery from that place at lunch time. So you all better think why are you that lazy and then complain about the cost of that lazy attitude.
Also, what percentage of the time are those deliveries in some type of nasty weather you don't want to go out in? Or when you decide to order out instead of going to the grocery store and stocking up?

Yeeshes.
My son occasionally delivers DoorDash (suburban NJ) when he thinks that there's some decent money to be made. Business is pretty brisk when the weather is bad. People also like to have heavy things delivered to their door. Why carry ten cases of bottled water to your third floor walk-up when you can have someone do it for you?

Old 11-06-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
How is this not blackmail or extortion, and isn't that illegal? I can't imagine actually eating the food after hearing that. Heaven only knows...
Why would it be illegal for someone to not deliver your order if they think that it's not worth their time? Food contamination isn't a problem because bags and boxes are sealed.

Old 11-06-2023, 10:47 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,238,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
How is this not blackmail or extortion, and isn't that illegal? I can't imagine actually eating the food after hearing that. Heaven only knows...
how is it either?
really the more i think about it the more it's no different from hiring people to do other work. the more you're willing to pay the faster you'll get what you want. it's just for much smaller amounts of money than you'd normally hire people to do something for. Is it a perfect system? no but if you don't like it don't use it. Nobody is being forced to use door dash.

When your order food, be it door dash, uber eats or going straight through the restaurant you're paying for the convenience of not having to get it yourself. It's really that simple.

Like I said i rarely order from these services. But when I do it's usually out of laziness or occasionally because I'm in the middle of doing something I need to keep doing. If i'm super hungry I'd be willing to pay more to get it quicker than if I'm not really hungry or don't really need something right away. A few weeks ago I had some friends over to watch the baseball playoffs and late in a game we were hungry so I ordered delivery food. While the place wasn't even that far and normally I'd just go byself- in that moment with my friends watching the game it was well worth a nice tip to be able to stay exactly where I was.

Old 11-06-2023, 03:45 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,410,985 times
This is nonsense. I tipped 20% upfront on the app when I ordered and the driver lost the order, claiming the restaurant had no such order on file to give him. And then finally when that managed to get settled, the driver came to my address and refused to come up and deliver to my apartment. I had to go down and pick it up from the lobby.

Never used DoorDash ever again after that!

Old 11-06-2023, 04:36 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
This is nonsense. I tipped 20% upfront on the app when I ordered and the driver lost the order, claiming the restaurant had no such order on file to give him. And then finally when that managed to get settled, the driver came to my address and refused to come up and deliver to my apartment. I had to go down and pick it up from the lobby.

Never used DoorDash ever again after that!
One bad experience ruined it for you? You must have been really hungry that day.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-06-2023, 06:22 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,410,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
One bad experience ruined it for you? You must have been really hungry that day.
Yes, because I’ve never had such experience when ordering directly from the restaurants. Been ordering Chinese takeout for years and always been a good experience. None of them ever refused to come up and deliver to my apartment door. But one Doordash order and it was a nightmare.

Old 11-06-2023, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Yes, because I’ve never had such experience when ordering directly from the restaurants. Been ordering Chinese takeout for years and always been a good experience. None of them ever refused to come up and deliver to my apartment door. But one Doordash order and it was a nightmare.
2 different dynamics.

Old 11-06-2023, 06:40 PM

5,679 posts, read 2,612,281 times
I have only done deliver when out of town. Never in NYC. I know my neighbors complain though when they have to go to the lobby to get their food. I don't blame them. The whole point of delivery is to stay in your apartment and not have to get dressed. If you gotta put clothes and shoes on then you mine as well just get it yourself and not pay the mark up from the app, the service fee and tip.

Old 11-06-2023, 09:35 PM

Quote:
That's on you. You can request that the food be handed to you. If that doesn't happen, make them give you something. My son has had to hand a bag to someone to complete a delivery. He delivered a meal recently which required a signature.

His best delivery was to an NFL quarterback at a weekend rental. Armed guards met him in the driveway.
"Any chance that I can see him?" Absolutely not. Even though the tip was very generous, one guard gave him $20.

Old 11-06-2023, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I have only done deliver when out of town. Never in NYC. I know my neighbors complain though when they have to go to the lobby to get their food. I don't blame them. The whole point of delivery is to stay in your apartment and not have to get dressed. If you gotta put clothes and shoes on then you mine as well just get it yourself and not pay the mark up from the app, the service fee and tip.
Do your neighbors order Chinese, and if so, do they go upstairs? I'm asking you real NYC questions.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: