Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2023, 05:27 PM

819 posts, read 584,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
This is a little, um, disgusting.

Yeah, they eat bed bugs and their eggs, but don't forget that they put their eggs in their place. Eventually, the cockroaches will outnumber the beg bugs. Take your pick, a bed bug infestation that is ended by starting an infestation of cockroaches.

There are only two benefits of replacing one tiny insect type with another much larger.

A) Cockroaches don't drink your blood. (Dracula anyone?)

B) Cockroaches don't fly. (Well, the normal ones in much of the USA don't fly. Who knows what is the case with NYC. Afterall, most places in the USA have normal size rats, then there is NYC with cat size ones. Yikes!)

Oh, yes, they do indeed fly. Horrifying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2023, 11:39 AM

25,374 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Quote:
This is a little, um, disgusting.

Yeah, they eat bed bugs and their eggs, but don't forget that they put their eggs in their place. Eventually, the cockroaches will outnumber the beg bugs. Take your pick, a bed bug infestation that is ended by starting an infestation of cockroaches.

There are only two benefits of replacing one tiny insect type with another much larger.

A) Cockroaches don't drink your blood. (Dracula anyone?)

B) Cockroaches don't fly. (Well, the normal ones in much of the USA don't fly. Who knows what is the case with NYC. Afterall, most places in the USA have normal size rats, then there is NYC with cat size ones. Yikes!)

And C) Cockroaches don't share your bed.

I want neither, but if I had to choose, I would choose the roaches so I'd stop putting down poisoned bait.

Unfortunately:
Note: It is important to know that generally insects feed on bed bugs when the bed bug population is very large and do not assist to any large degree with the management of bed bug populations.

Old 11-05-2023, 04:27 PM

16,093 posts, read 6,863,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Fair.

You are entitled to your opinion.

In all my years on this planet the only place I have
encountered bed bugs were in homes that were " I'll be nice "
less than tidy.

Old 11-06-2023, 11:04 AM

10,115 posts, read 14,991,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Fair.

You are entitled to your opinion.

In all my years on this planet the only place I have
encountered bed bugs were in homes that were " I'll be nice "
less than tidy.
Even nice hotels have bed bug problems.

Quote:
Bed bugs have been spotted in five-star hotels and resorts as, according to the Centers for Disease Control, their presence is "not determined by the cleanliness of the living conditions where they are found."
https://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2...-the-rise-yuck

I think the cleanliness of a home has not much to do with having an infestation of bed bugs. It's like BO. For many people they have BO only when they are sweaty or dirty. They take a shower and the BO ends. Then there are those that are very clean and have a BO that without medication never leaves them. In their case it's a hormonal problem more than one of hygene.

Old 11-06-2023, 03:42 PM

16,093 posts, read 6,863,630 times
Quote:
Even nice hotels have bed bug problems.

https://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2...-the-rise-yuck

I think the cleanliness of a home has not much to do with having an infestation of bed bugs. It's like BO. For many people they have BO only when they are sweaty or dirty. They take a shower and the BO ends. Then there are those that are very clean and have a BO that without medication never leaves them. In their case it's a hormonal problem more than one of hygene.

Hope this helps.

I know of an acquaintance who is a wonderful soul but lacks hygiene.
True story:
I once pointed out a bed bug crawling on his neck.

Sadly, as a result
I have kept my distance and limited my contact.

Cleanliness of a home has much to do with everything.
Screens keep bugs out. Taking out the trash keeps flies and rodents out.
Sweeping and washing walls, mopping floors keeps house sterile.
Cleaning your bedsheets, covering your matresses keeps bed bugs out.

Can the impossible still happen? Yes but cleaning has worked for me for decades.

Dang.............Why am I suddenly scratching my self all over..............

Old 11-06-2023, 04:39 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Hope this helps.

I know of an acquaintance who is a wonderful soul but lacks hygiene.
True story:
I once pointed out a bed bug crawling on his neck.

Sadly, as a result
I have kept my distance and limited my contact.

Cleanliness of a home has much to do with everything.
Screens keep bugs out. Taking out the trash keeps flies and rodents out.
Sweeping and washing walls, mopping floors keeps house sterile.
Cleaning your bedsheets, covering your matresses keeps bed bugs out.

Can the impossible still happen? Yes but cleaning has worked for me for decades.

Dang.............Why am I suddenly scratching my self all over..............
Bed bugs are attracted to blood and carbon monoxide. While cleanliness is important without question, it is important to point out that dirt and grime are not the primary factors that cause bedbug infestation. You can keep a clean and tidy home, and still have bedbugs. They don't feed on garbage like roaches do. They feed on blood. If you think about it, cockroaches don't bite humans or other animals. Hope this makes sense.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: