Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2023, 05:18 AM

16,093 posts, read 6,863,630 times

Advertisements

My thoughts:

N.Y.C. better empty the kitty while Joe is still running the show.

When the new sheriff comes to townthe country will be in a financial hole and
forced to tighten down on the belt buckle.

Somebody has to stop the squandering of our tax dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2023, 07:27 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,036,595 times
As someone with a vested interest in this (although pretty much every subway stops nearby, the Q is the closest line to me where I live, and I work in East Harlem), it would be nice to know a completion date, and if it will be gradually opening new stations or if the new stations will open all at once. Walking from 96th is good for my steps but having a station even closer to work would give me a one train ride all the time.

Old 10-25-2023, 07:35 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Oh absolutely! The line from the Bronx into lower Manhattan would've been fully completed in like 5/6 years back then. LOL

I think the "grand plan" of the Second Avenue Subway / "T" line was to extend from the Bronx all the way into Hanover Square in lower Manhattan.

Will that ever happen? Jury is still out in my opinion.

But I am excited that this phase will be built, finally going through East Harlem where it is much needed.
As originally planned Second Avenue subway would have replaced Second Avenue EL trains which had northern station in Manhattan at Third avenue and 129th street. Second Avenue El trains then ran north into Bronx along Third Avenue El ROW.

When Lexington Avenue IRT subway (which runs from Brooklyn through Manhattan into Bronx) replaced need for Third Avenue El trains. When Second Avenue El trains were torn down it was planned that SAS would replace entire ROW running under Second Avenue from Harlem down to lower Manhattan/FiDI.

For host of reasons (largely financial) huge expansion of subway that would include entire SAS never happened. However the Second Avenue and Third Avenue elevated trains were torn down.

Yorkville residents were happy to see Second avenue EL trains come down, but many were less enthused by prospect of SAS, especially one that came from Harlem or worse, the Bronx down into their area. Protests and lawsuits stopped or slowed down project until NYC's fiscal crisis of 1970's but the kibosh on SAS scheme.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRT_Second_Avenue_Line

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRT_Second_Avenue_Line

Plan for SAS extension pretty much mirrors what was originally intended. Second avenue trains will have northern terminus of 125th street where people transfer to and from IRT Bronx trains.

Old 10-25-2023, 02:24 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,715,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
As someone with a vested interest in this (although pretty much every subway stops nearby, the Q is the closest line to me where I live, and I work in East Harlem), it would be nice to know a completion date, and if it will be gradually opening new stations or if the new stations will open all at once. Walking from 96th is good for my steps but having a station even closer to work would give me a one train ride all the time.
Once they begin construction, the estimate is it will take 8 years.
They will open stations at the same time I am assuming.

Old 10-25-2023, 02:48 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,897,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
the project will be done sooner than ppl think if the funding is allocated in, and we have a governor who gets sh** done. Cuomo, (like it or not) would have got it done quickly. a lot of the tunnel boring for the project has been done on second ave. there's more boring to go, but the trouble the MTA is having is pricing mf's out and getting em to move. when the SAS is done, East Harlem will finally ARRIVE. then i'll finally be able to say, "Here go, East Harlem come."

Old 10-25-2023, 06:25 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
the project will be done sooner than ppl think if the funding is allocated in, and we have a governor who gets sh** done. Cuomo, (like it or not) would have got it done quickly. a lot of the tunnel boring for the project has been done on second ave. there's more boring to go, but the trouble the MTA is having is pricing mf's out and getting em to move. when the SAS is done, East Harlem will finally ARRIVE. then i'll finally be able to say, "Here go, East Harlem come."
They just need to eminent domain them

East Harlem honestly is holding the South Bronx back

It's East Harlem's fault why livingsingle can't shop on 149th

Lol

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-26-2023, 12:25 PM

88,622 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Oh absolutely! The line from the Bronx into lower Manhattan would've been fully completed in like 5/6 years back then. LOL

I think the "grand plan" of the Second Avenue Subway / "T" line was to extend from the Bronx all the way into Hanover Square in lower Manhattan.

Will that ever happen? Jury is still out in my opinion.

But I am excited that this phase will be built, finally going through East Harlem where it is much needed.
I attended the online preproposal conference for Ph 2 on Tuesday. They show Phases 3 and 4 taking it down to Hanover Square, but not up to the Bronx.

Two sections of the Ph 2 tunnel were done in the 70s and are in good shape, so that should help.

Old 10-26-2023, 12:37 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I attended the online preproposal conference for Ph 2 on Tuesday. They show Phases 3 and 4 taking it down to Hanover Square, but not up to the Bronx.

Two sections of the Ph 2 tunnel were done in the 70s and are in good shape, so that should help.
Unlike Third and Second avenue El trains that shared ROW up in Bronx back in day there isn't need for SAS to duplicate what IRT already provides. Transfer at 125th will take those going further north or south without extra expense and bother of extending SAS subway service north into Harlem and Bronx.

As for phases three and four of SAS feel safe in saying all but youngest participating in this thread will be long gone before or if that ever happens.

There is only so much federal transit money sloshing around and given how much MTA spends to build rail (look at first phase of SAS and that boondoggle LIRR east side access), there won't be much appetite in Washington, D.C. to pony up yet more money for SAS extension. Then there is of course MTA, NYS and NYC share of costs.

All bets could be off depending upon how much revenue congestion pricing brings in and if scheme works as planned in allowing MTA to float (yet more) debt based on projected funds.

Old 10-26-2023, 01:28 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
East Harlem's time is up

Never in your humble MoD's career did I ever think that I would see any neighborhood in Manhattan frowned upon over neighborhoods in the Bronx. Development is happending quicker in an adjacent river neighborhood in the Bronx than in East Harlem.

I don't care but I would choose any neighborhood in the Bronx over East Harlem right now, and I really mean it

Sorry not sorry

They're reacting 20 years too late but eventually East Harlem, it will be curtains

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-26-2023, 08:53 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,897,291 times
if it ever happens, they plan to extend the SAS to 125th & Broadway not the Bronx. I actually disagree with this. 135th & 3rd in the Bronx needs a good Q train in service
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City