Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 12:14 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,331,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by margharita23 View Post
UPDATE- I spoke to LL and he said he is looking for a "isolator" that will go under the ventilation system. But he said it is a process to find the right kind to support the vent and also observe the vibration. Hence i am asking if anyone knows here, maybe a restaurant owner or someone who maintains and works with these systems. Wonder if there is another more specific forum?
You might want to try doing a Google search for mechanical contractors in the NYC area. Try calling one of them or sending them an email regarding your situation; they may be able to provide some input. Keep us posted, and good luck.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2023, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 240 times
Hi, margharita23, did you find a solution? Interested to know as I have the same issue! Would be grateful for anything information and hope it was resolved!

Old 11-01-2023, 09:37 AM

111 posts, read 91,229 times
hi no. The city came and because the noise was not above a certain decibel, they said they can't fine the business. They said they also can't do anything about the vibration. The LL didn't do anything. I researched and tried to contact noise/vibration proofing companies myself they said they will have to be contacted by the LL. The restaurant downstairs is not cooperating. Its technically their vent so they have to do what's necessary for the isolation. They do not care. They are awful people do deal with. I bough Bose headphones and they help! Will move out when i can. There was somebody in the city council who helped me then but now in my area after the pandemic and with the help of the new awful administration of Adams+Hochul, everyone is pro restaurant and the city won't touch the LL's nor the restaurant businesses whether they are invading pedestrian sidewalks, excessive garbage/rats/roaches or noise/smell/odor/vibration etc.

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...stalled-2.html

Last edited by margharita23; 11-01-2023 at 09:47 AM..

Old 11-02-2023, 11:15 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,661,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margharita23 View Post
hi no. The city came and because the noise was not above a certain decibel, they said they can't fine the business. They said they also can't do anything about the vibration. The LL didn't do anything. I researched and tried to contact noise/vibration proofing companies myself they said they will have to be contacted by the LL. The restaurant downstairs is not cooperating. Its technically their vent so they have to do what's necessary for the isolation. They do not care. They are awful people do deal with. I bough Bose headphones and they help! Will move out when i can. There was somebody in the city council who helped me then but now in my area after the pandemic and with the help of the new awful administration of Adams+Hochul, everyone is pro restaurant and the city won't touch the LL's nor the restaurant businesses whether they are invading pedestrian sidewalks, excessive garbage/rats/roaches or noise/smell/odor/vibration etc.

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...stalled-2.html

I am sorry you are going thru this, I'm sure it is horrible.
I have like xray hearing, I can hear low rumbles from far away, it is so annoying, and I know it is me.

The tenant under me, her living room coiling fan is from the 80's and when it is on I hear the rmmm rmmm rmmm and it sounds like a washer on the spin cycle, luckily she had moved many years ago and her mother lives there and never uses the fan, until recently that she now has a home care aid, as she is an old lady. Lucky it isn't on all the time, but she is a nice lady and i know the daughter for 34 years, so I wont say anything. I just hope the fan breaks as it is so very old. LOL

There are times I like to lay on my couch in complete silence but if that fan is on and I hear the rmm rmm, rhythmatic, it can drive a person insane. Now if anyone came over they would not hear it...but I can.

Also on Sunday mornings for some reason I'd here this low rumble, never can figure out what it was, seems like every Sunday I'd notice this as I wake up and lay in bed.
What can it be?, I racked my brain, couldn't figure it out.
Then I figured it out. It was the airplanes taking off from JFK which is very far from my apartment, but I can see them in the distance, and I was able to trace the noise to it, as it disappeared into the sky, and so would the noise, then it would start again as Id see the next plane, every 30 - 60 seconds, It doesn't bother me as it is a very very low rumble, but point Im making is the low frequencies for some reason can just be heard.

ugh....**sigh****

Try to move if you can, I know easier said than done, and if you find another apartment, look out all your windows and see what you see. Are there roofs with HVAC equip on them, a bus stop, etc, anything that you think would be annoying.

I live down the block from the elevated train, but I don't mind that, but someone else might

Old 11-04-2023, 04:49 PM

2 posts, read 240 times
Hey
Thanks for getting back to me.
So sorry to hear this!
I'm hoping I have more success with the LL!!
I too am not a fan of all the restaurants taking up too much of the sidewalks and roadway, for all the reasons you mention. Our building has 4 of them either side.
Can I ask you who you had researched for noise/vibration proofing companies - any suggestions would be appreciated
Have a great weekend
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: