Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 16,235 times

Advertisements

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rmanently.html

* Young families who were considering moves to the suburbs have been given the push they need, real estate experts say

* Singletons who can now work remotely from anywhere are also eyeing less expensive cities with better weather

* One real estate business told DailyMail.com they receive 'hundreds' of inquiries a week from people trying to
leave

*It raises questions of how the city's tax income will be affected by an exodus

*It is unclear how and when the city will reopen and which businesses will even be able to open their doors again after weeks with no income

Wonder if this well help the cost of living in NYC decrease and make it more affordable for normal people? If AOC didn't run Amazon away the city would still be able to benefit from having all those new jobs available soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 05:50 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
For what Amazon is hiring for (tech) there already exists a pretty big base for. People just know the name Amazon. There's also Google, Facebook, Palantir, Time Warner/HBO, Salesforce, etc. etc. Long term it's a wash.

Really it's a short term outlook. The city will evolve, though we might not know how in the interim. We'll see what happens. I'm hoping prices fall on residential real estate so I can buy low!

Old 04-22-2020, 06:23 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
For what Amazon is hiring for (tech) there already exists a pretty big base for. People just know the name Amazon. There's also Google, Facebook, Palantir, Time Warner/HBO, Salesforce, etc. etc. Long term it's a wash.

Really it's a short term outlook. The city will evolve, though we might not know how in the interim. We'll see what happens. I'm hoping prices fall on residential real estate so I can buy low!
That and their gazillion subsidiaries.

I think there's a decent chance that tech workers are going to make a killing in the NYC real estate market as the recessions hits especially if NYC has a lot desperate landlords with limited employable skills living mostly off of rent from properties, and have overleveraged themselves without saving up much for a few rainy quarters.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:25 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
We’re certainly considering it. My wife wants out bad and I’ve hated this city for a long time.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-22-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
We’re certainly considering it. My wife wants out bad and I’ve hated this city for a long time.
Well, do any of your relatives or close buddies want to stay in the city and might want to live in your digs? I think you've said you're a property owner. If people are fleeing, then that means you're going to lose a lot of equity and managing a single rental to a rando from afar, given the possibly severe drop in rent prices, might not be worth it. Probably best if you're moving away that you could rent to someone you know and trust and sell some years later.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:31 PM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behouse View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rmanently.html

* Young families who were considering moves to the suburbs have been given the push they need, real estate experts say

* Singletons who can now work remotely from anywhere are also eyeing less expensive cities with better weather

* One real estate business told DailyMail.com they receive 'hundreds' of inquiries a week from people trying to
leave

*It raises questions of how the city's tax income will be affected by an exodus

*It is unclear how and when the city will reopen and which businesses will even be able to open their doors again after weeks with no income

Wonder if this well help the cost of living in NYC decrease and make it more affordable for normal people? If AOC didn't run Amazon away the city would still be able to benefit from having all those new jobs available soon
It took NYC a good 20 years or more to attract educated people to move here for work from across America. It was a good gamble and a great bet. Now due to covid, nyc whole world has turned upside down. Now nyc is going to get hit hard anally. But the hard hit will be only temporarily. I already know of educated millennial transplants who are planning on moving here to Bloomfield NJ after the pandemic ends.

Rents will drop in NYC. Also commercial office space will decline due to employers having employees to work from home until a vaccine is available. A vaccinated most of America won't happen until 2022. Commercial and office real estate prices to drop as well.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:34 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, do any of your relatives or close buddies want to stay in the city and might want to live in your digs? I think you've said you're a property owner. If people are fleeing, then that means you're going to lose a lot of equity and managing a single rental to a rando from afar, given the possibly severe drop in rent prices, might not be worth it. Probably best if you're moving away that you could rent to someone you know and trust and sell some years later.
I probably won’t leave just yet, so hopefully values either won’t drop much or will recover by then. Regardless, I’ve been disciplined enoigh to put a huge dent in my mortgage and I’ve been here awhile now, so it would take a huge loss in value to dent my equity enough for me to consider renting it out.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-22-2020, 07:48 PM

855 posts, read 450,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post

Rents will drop in NYC. Also commercial office space will decline due to employers having employees to work from home until a vaccine is available. A vaccinated most of America won't happen until 2022. Commercial and office real estate prices to drop as well.
Most of America won't be willing to get vaccinated as most of America hasn't been impacted by this as hard as NY.

And good luck developing a vaccine for a constantly mutating virus. Let us know how that works out for you.

Old 04-22-2020, 07:56 PM

450 posts, read 474,476 times
Vaccinated for what exactly? Opportunists like gates and bloomberg are already salivating at saving the world - but from what exactly begs the question: a tiny more severe flu? Where's my suicide/drug overdose vaccine? I'll take one of those since that's more potent.

Old 04-22-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
Most of America won't be willing to get vaccinated as most of America hasn't been impacted by this as hard as NY.

And good luck developing a vaccine for a constantly mutating virus. Let us know how that works out for you.
One of the traits of this virus has been that it seems to be quite slow in its mutations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City