Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 10:33 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times

Advertisements

I just stream everything now. I'm not home that much and when I am I can stream using my iPad and run a connection to my TV if I need it watch it on the big screen. I used to mess around with streaming years ago out of curiosity when I had FiOs. It has come a LONNNGGG way. Really good. I use a mix of Sling, Fubo and Hulu. I use my Verizon Wireless unlimited plan to stream. I have one line for my iPad (I may add another one for another iPad and one for my cell phone). I like streaming because I can stream anywhere. During lunch sometimes I watch TV in my office on my iPad or office computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 10:36 AM

3,730 posts, read 3,461,317 times
I don't think people in NYC really appreciate how many FREE channels with HD we get in NYC. Buy a cheap antenna, plug it in to the back of your LCD TV and Scan for local channels. It's amazing.

I get 70-75 FREE channels in the Bronx. Some of them are music channels or international language channels, but there are a couple Movie Channels like ION and many many local channels. Forever free!

Old 01-20-2020, 11:04 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
I don't think people in NYC really appreciate how many FREE channels with HD we get in NYC. Buy a cheap antenna, plug it in to the back of your LCD TV and Scan for local channels. It's amazing.

I get 70-75 FREE channels in the Bronx. Some of them are music channels or international language channels, but there are a couple Movie Channels like ION and many many local channels. Forever free!
That depends on where you are in NYC. I don't get good service for the local channels.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:07 AM

15,825 posts, read 14,463,105 times
They did this to me, and I flipped to FIOS. Now I get all sorts of promo deals from Spectrum. When FIOS does it to me, I'll flip back.

I was instrumental in getting FIOS in our building. I might see if RCN wants to wire us up also, and then we can play all three off against each other.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:08 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
you have "ULTRA" internet which is 400mps, overkill unless you have a specific need for that much speed.
The lower speeds weren't working. I'm a Gamer so that's part of it. But even for YouTube and Netflix I was having quality issues on the slower plans. I STILL have problems and routinely over the past year I regularly have to restart my WiFi on my Mac. The guy who came by to test the line mentioned 2 years ago Pre Wars can have more issues because the lines in the building can be faultier. It could be the building line or the street part of it. The last time they dug up the block was shortly after I moved in 7 years ago.

Many modern laptops don't have the Ethernet port and regardless I still have "blackouts" on my XBOX and that IS connected to the Ethernet cable.

Quote:
Of course, but my point is that IT EXISTS! Stop putting barriers up in front of you and making it seem like there is nothing you can do. Fight!
When there's only one provider there's literally nothing you can do. I read a thread on this on Reddit and apparently some areas in SoCal have the exact same problems. They check the area they know nobody else is there. The management isn't dumb or clueless. I've got zero leverage here.

The only option would be for me to band together with others in the same situation and petition local congress (wo)men to apply sanctions, fines or political pressure or constraints on them.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:17 AM

5,208 posts, read 4,666,583 times
Ever since they wired my apartment for FIOS two years ago, Spectrum has been begging me to come back at ridiculous new customer rates. FIOS isn't cheap with 1GB connection triple play at $160. If I get tired of paying that, I may switch back to Spectrum for two years and rinse and repeat for the new customer deals. OP, you need to move to somewhere with options.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Ever since they wired my apartment for FIOS two years ago, Spectrum has been begging me to come back at ridiculous new customer rates. FIOS isn't cheap with 1GB connection triple play at $160. If I get tired of paying that, I may switch back to Spectrum for two years and rinse and repeat for the new customer deals. OP, you need to move to somewhere with options.
I suppose that is the conundrum here.

I am in a well maintained rent stabilized apartment with an owner who is very nice and actually involved. That is virtually impossible to find in NYC.

If he sells the property and our super leaves then maybe. But essentially I'd just be exchanging a cheaper plan for higher rent and end up breaking even at best $$$ wise. At worst, other issues with the new property may lower my quality of life.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:51 AM

3,730 posts, read 3,461,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
The lower speeds weren't working. I'm a Gamer so that's part of it. But even for YouTube and Netflix I was having quality issues on the slower plans. I STILL have problems and routinely over the past year I regularly have to restart my WiFi on my Mac. The guy who came by to test the line mentioned 2 years ago Pre Wars can have more issues because the lines in the building can be faultier. It could be the building line or the street part of it. The last time they dug up the block was shortly after I moved in 7 years ago.
If you are using WiFi in a building, your problems are not the speed of the connection but interference with your neighbors who are also using WiFi on the 2.4GHZ spectrum. Interference will kill your download speeds and interrupt your connection completely and then reconnect over and over.

You need to be wired (They sell usb Wired adapters for laptops) or upgrade your wireless to a dual band wireless router that has "N" Wireless on the 5GHZ Spectrum. Not many people will be running 5 GHZ and you will have no interference with anyone.

Wireless Interference is the #1 problem in urban areas and apartment buildings when it comes to "Slow" internet.

Old 01-20-2020, 12:26 PM

555 posts, read 616,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post

Many modern laptops don't have the Ethernet port and regardless I still have "blackouts" on my XBOX and that IS connected to the Ethernet cable.

When there's only one provider there's literally nothing you can do. I read a thread on this on Reddit and apparently some areas in SoCal have the exact same problems. They check the area they know nobody else is there. The management isn't dumb or clueless. I've got zero leverage here.

The only option would be for me to band together with others in the same situation and petition local congress (wo)men to apply sanctions, fines or political pressure or constraints on them.

Well gaming can be a very expensive hobby. I run a business from home and would never rely on wireless though. No internet is fail proof but wired is much more reliable and faster.

You'd save a lot of money and probably have a much better gaming experience by getting a desktop wired PC.

Old 01-20-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
If you are using WiFi in a building, your problems are not the speed of the connection but interference with your neighbors who are also using WiFi on the 2.4GHZ spectrum. Interference will kill your download speeds and interrupt your connection completely and then reconnect over and over.

You need to be wired (They sell usb Wired adapters for laptops) or upgrade your wireless to a dual band wireless router that has "N" Wireless on the 5GHZ Spectrum. Not many people will be running 5 GHZ and you will have no interference with anyone.

Wireless Interference is the #1 problem in urban areas and apartment buildings when it comes to "Slow" internet.
Thanks I'll look into that today. I am hoping they have this for Mac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City