Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 07:56 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,025,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I tend to agree with you Kefir. There will always be poor...like there will always be rich. The question is: Do you want to live in a world like India where people are thrown to the streets, diseases spread rapidly, and huge portions of your population are literally "untouchables permanently" , or do you want to live in a 1st world where the poor are taken care of, are off the streets, are not criminals because that's the only way to survive etc, allowing everyone else to thrive.

NYC not too long ago was just like India, with the destitute in the streets or in crammed tenements creating massive crime, diseases which swept through everywhere regardless of income, etc...and we chose to change all that. Do we want to go back?
It won't matter, because all of the poor will be pushed out to the suburbs or the fringes of society where no one will see them.

There has been a push over the last few years to give the poor Section 8 vouchers and place them in abandoned or foreclosed houses in the burbs. This is happening in Chicago for sure. The poor are so happy to have the "beautiful home with the pool" that they can't see that these homes will be their tombs.

Yes, the city or homeowner is keeping the place up NOW, but as soon as they get enough of the riff raff up in those neighborhoods, everything will go to **** in a handbasket. Toilets will STAY stuffed up, roofs will leak forever, roaches, rats everywhere, just like back in turn of the century america.

But for "some" people on this board, that will be just "fine".

Last edited by marilyn220; 12-27-2012 at 08:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 07:58 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
same place i got the money when i had to make the decison . the trade school had a finance program and i borrowed the money.

it was either that or face low paying jobs for life.
Gasp, you found a solution to a problem in your life. Aren't they, as in the government, supposed to entirely fix your life? And oh my lord, you borrowed money. Should that have just been given to you?

Seriously, obviously you did the things you had to do in your life and you took care of yourself. Great!

Old 12-27-2012, 08:00 AM

106,626 posts, read 108,773,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Well, Mr. Bloomberg, unfortunately, many of us can't sit at home counting billions and making even MORE billions while the state (and the INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY) experiences what is called the SECOND great depression of our time.

Inquiring minds really would like to know how you increased your wealth from $16 billion in 2009 (when the recession finally hit the country) to $22 billion THREE YEARS LATER?!!
actually thats a crappy return for an invester. you could have bought just an average equity fund in 2009 and doubled your money by today .

my own portfolio has more then doubled from the lows of 2008-2009

Old 12-27-2012, 08:01 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,202 times
conservatism never takes the blame for
creating all these economic problems tho.

all they say is go get a job, parasites,
but it's not even worth it if they can get
more benefits from the government than
they can working for next to nothing.

it's not victimization. it's common sense.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The people they are cutting off though are those hated by the American mainstream. Addicts, HIV patients, and other people who were severely marginalized. If they rose up, would people really cry if the NYPD, backed by the National Guard, and back by the overall US military dealt with them extreme force?
Please don't get it twisted. They're coming (and have come) for everyone who is poor.

Trust and believe that when the people from the redneck and hillbilly states decide to "rise up" against the government, it's not going to be pretty. This is something they've been waiting to do for YEARS, but the one problem was that they didn't have the backing of the educated elite.

Now that many of the white educated are being forced to live like their Honey Boo Boo counterparts, it will be a completely different story.

Stalin, Castro and the original french revolution leaders were EDUCATED MEN who knew how to rally up the poor.

If and when this happens our military will be split, because many of our soldiers will come from families like these.

We're not going to turn into a first world banana republic without a violent struggle, that's for sure. I just hope it happens after Obama leaves office.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Did the guy ever try to do anything outside of McDonalds? If not get a formal education, do a skilled blue collar job?

There's at least two sides to every story.

I mean, if McDonalds is such a horrible employer why on earth would he stay with them for 20 years? They may have been just that bad, but he has responsibility in the sense that he stayed in a ****ty place for 20 years. He could have QUIT the job if it was that bad.

This is why I don't like liberalism, its all about victimization and sob stories. Its never about what people can do to empower themselves.
Did you read the story?

The guy got a computer technician certificate before working for McDonalds. He was unable to find work in it. Also, he was raised in the notorious Cabrini Green projects, so it's a good bet (from looking at him) that he was probably a user and may have been arrested a few times because of it. McDonalds will hire ex-cons, if their crimes aren't of the violent nature. They'll never hire a killer or a rapist for example.

I feel bad for him. I really do. There is a video interview of him and the man isn't asking for a "free ride". All he wants is at least $10 an hour. I hope after seeing him someone in the area offers him a janitorial job or something making more money.

Also, I realize that outside of NYC, there are people that will work at places like CVS, the supermarkets or McDonalds for 10 years or so. The jobs are union, but still... the money is still garbage.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
same place i got the money when i had to make the decison . the trade school had a finance program and i borrowed the money.

it was either that or face low paying jobs for life.

jobs sucked too. it was during the horrible late 1970's with gas lines ,no jobs and raging inflation .

interest on that loan was insane too.
Come on Mathjak! The 70s???!! You're comparing the easy, go lucky 1970s to 2012??

Many adults won't qualify for a loan if their credit is messed up.

Please step out of the "bubble" and read REAL LIFE.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:18 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,927,516 times
Quote:
They're coming (and have come) for everyone who is poor.
This is one of the most ridiculous and irresponsible statements I have ever read.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:19 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
Please don't get it twisted. They're coming (and have come) for everyone who is poor.

Trust and believe that when the people from the redneck and hillbilly states decide to "rise up" against the government, it's not going to be pretty. This is something they've been waiting to do for YEARS, but the one problem was that they didn't have the backing of the educated elite.
All my life, and I'm 36, black people have been predicting this rise up and revolution that never happens. Forgive me if I just yawn.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
This is one of the most ridiculous and irresponsible statements I have ever read.
How da F___k would YOU know???

States all over the country, especially in the SOUTH, have been attacking the poor and forcing them off the rolls left and right. They've been doing it since Clinton signed that FAILURE Welfare Reform Act of 1996 that was supposed to "change welfare as we know it". Yeah, it changed it alright.

Here's a RECENT article of how GA is handling it and the threats of taking people's children away if they come in asking for "cash" benefits no matter how small. Private charities and organizations don't even bother sending them to HR, because it's useless, just like it is here.

Georgia’s war against the poor: The southern state is emptying its welfare rolls at the same time that poverty is soaring. - Slate Magazine

This should make you and some others happy though.

Freaking parasites and with their leaching spawn trying to get $50 a month in cash benefits to buy necessities like soap and toiletries. How freaking dare they??!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City