Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 06:18 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,258,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
Most poor people are poor because they are stupid, or make stupid decisions. The one's that are not stupid, should only be poor for a small amount of time (getting back on your feet). In life you get what you put in... I have no pity for stupid people, or those who make stupid decisions, especially those over 30. All Social programs need to be trimmed by atleast 60%. If cuts aren't made to the budget, the whole country and world economy is going to collapse. And it will be because of those slimy dirty welfare collecting leeches!
Yes exactly. Good point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 06:54 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,001,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Yes exactly. Good point!
Read about these cutbacks Bloomberg has been instituting to the one remaining city welfare program that pays for private apartments, HASA.

Bloomberg Plans More Budget Cuts and Changes to HASA Eligibility — AIDS Issues Update — Housing Works

and

HIV-Positive New Yorkers Protest Budget Cuts, Drug Screening Policy - New York - News - Runnin' Scared

Don't worry, other social programs have recently been cut.

By the way, when advocates for the poor said the city was obligated to pay for housing for the homeless, the Judge disagreed. She ruled in favor of the city, and the city eliminated the City Advantage Program that was putting homeless people in apartments.

City Doesn't Have To Subsidize Rent For Homeless, Judge Rules: Gothamist

I would think all this would make you happy, Hilltopjay.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:08 AM

25,381 posts, read 37,114,463 times
This kind of thing is nothing new. They tried it in France and in 1789 the people found out that with a sharp blade they could remove heads.
The Romanoffs and their dukes and earls found they could be riddled with bullets in dark cellars. Mussolini was hanged upside down and disembowelled.

Remember in the U.S. there are more guns than people...and thus there is a limit beyond which some will not be pushed before turning seriously violent. Some may THINK you can starve a man and make him live on the street and he will sit quietly until he dies...but history has shown otherwise.

It is a shame that some of the dimwits running things cannot see the future beyond next week.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:15 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,386,951 times
I tend to agree with you Kefir. There will always be poor...like there will always be rich. The question is: Do you want to live in a world like India where people are thrown to the streets, diseases spread rapidly, and huge portions of your population are literally "untouchables permanently" , or do you want to live in a 1st world where the poor are taken care of, are off the streets, are not criminals because that's the only way to survive etc, allowing everyone else to thrive.

NYC not too long ago was just like India, with the destitute in the streets or in crammed tenements creating massive crime, diseases which swept through everywhere regardless of income, etc...and we chose to change all that. Do we want to go back?

Old 12-27-2012, 07:18 AM

The people they are cutting off though are those hated by the American mainstream. Addicts, HIV patients, and other people who were severely marginalized. If they rose up, would people really cry if the NYPD, backed by the National Guard, and back by the overall US military dealt with them extreme force?

And by the way, these days, you don't take down a military with guns. Not when militaries have thanks, fighter jets, drones, and a variety of sophisicated weaponry. These days regimes only fall when you have the military decided the head of state has to go, or if a powerful outside country or group of countries removes the head (like in Libya).

Trust me, if some poor people got violent in NYC, it would be easy for the government to institute a media black out and then they would do what they have to do to restore peace.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:26 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,036,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I don't hate poor people. I really don't. However I do hate arrogant poor people with atittudes. Best example I can think of is Precious' mom from the movie. People like that actually exist and are not the exception but the norm. And when you realize normal working people like myself foot the bill to support trash like that, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth that the very same money you work so hard for support ghetto hood trash. People who are too lazy to get off their asses and work and become someone. They leech off the hard working and instead of being greatful, they give you atittude and swear up and down they are entitled to such benefits. The arrogance is unbelieveable. Not a humble bone in their body. Just gimme gimme gimme.
Okay, let's be HONEST here.

I know EXACTLY the people you're talking about (including the trailer trash), but would you REALLY want those people working with you?

There is a reason why corporate america won't hire them (except maybe Walmart or Target), they don't listen, they take every type of "constructive criticism" you say as an "affront" rather than changing for the better. They're not the type that know how to 'reason' or be 'humble'.

Not all poor people are like this though. Many do work and are trapped in a never ending cycle of poverty that will never leave them. Former drug addicts with felonies who are forced to do menial labor for the rest of their lives due to past mistakes that will never let them down.

Also, let's not forget the "new" poor with bad credit that can't get a job because of it. These are usually the people who've done everything right - went to school, got good grades, graduated college or a trade school, worked good paying jobs, then had the rug pulled under them during this horrible recession. Many of them have to LIE and say they only finished high school in order to work at McDonalds as a cook or cashier.

Here's a horrible story of someone whose worked for 20 years at McDonalds and because of how they've treated him, he's only making minimum wage and lives in a nasty SRO paying $320 a month. From all accounts, he's a super hard worker, but is treated like garbage:

McDonald

This is sad. He seems to be a good dude that is treated poorly for no reason. He works at two different McDonalds just to get 20 hours a week. Also, the reason why he only makes minimum wage is because every time they transfer him to a new McDonalds or a new franchise takes over they reduce his payscale down to the state minimum. Of course, McDonalds headquarters say they have "no control" over such things. Yeah, right.

This is why I hate corporations and their bullcrap.

Last edited by marilyn220; 12-27-2012 at 08:07 AM..

Old 12-27-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
said well.

i always think of the sam kinison skit.

he is sitting on the floor sifting in sand. he goes this is sand. nothing rows in sand.

instead of aid and money we should be sending u-halls and vans so they can move to where the food is.

move to where the food is, what a novel idea.

much of the poor just keeps sifting through that sand over and over

many lost jobs and are still chasing ghosts instead of re-grouping and going elsewhere or into different fields,
You need to be RE-TRAINED in those "different" fields. Where is the money coming from? Also, if uemployment or the state is paying for it, then it has to be something approved by THEM.

Like for instance, they keep pushing people to be Homecare Attendants. I could NEVER do this. The thought of cleaning up a grown person's spit, feeding or washing them makes me ill. I barely like doing it for babies. Yet, the government will try to force this down your throat whether you're cut out for it or not which will only result in many abused or neglected patients.

Anyways, it really doesn't matter what field you go into as jobs are scarce in all of them.

We need to face facts as a country that our government and the corporations blew smoke up our asses and many jobs are gone forever.

Last edited by marilyn220; 12-27-2012 at 08:07 AM..

Old 12-27-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Here's a horrible story of someone whose worked for 20 years at McDonalds and because of how they've treated him, he's only making minimum wage and lives in a nasty SRO paying $320 a week. From all accounts, he's a super hard worker, but is treated like garbage:

McDonald

This is sad. He seems to be a good dude that is treated poorly for no reason. He works at two different McDonalds just to get 20 hours a week. Also, the reason why he only makes minimum wage is because every time they transfer him to a new McDonalds or new franchise owner takes over they reduce his payscale down to the state minimum. Of course, McDonalds headquarters say they have "no control" over such things. Yeah, right.

This is why I hate corporations and their bullcrap.
Did the guy ever try to do anything outside of McDonalds? If not get a formal education, do a skilled blue collar job?

There's at least two sides to every story.

I mean, if McDonalds is such a horrible employer why on earth would he stay with them for 20 years? They may have been just that bad, but he has responsibility in the sense that he stayed in a ****ty place for 20 years. He could have QUIT the job if it was that bad.

This is why I don't like liberalism, its all about victimization and sob stories. Its never about what people can do to empower themselves.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
And what ever happened to Shame? Aren't any of these people ashamed of themselves, that they suck at life so much they cant even pay for a loaf of bread or don't even have friends or family to house them temp?
Well, Mr. Bloomberg, unfortunately, many of us can't sit at home counting billions and making even MORE billions while the state (and the INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY) experiences what is called the SECOND great depression of our time.

Inquiring minds really would like to know how you increased your wealth from $16 billion in 2009 (when the recession finally hit the country) to $22 billion THREE YEARS LATER?!!

Old 12-27-2012, 07:54 AM

106,817 posts, read 109,039,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
You need to be RE-TRAINED in those "different" fields. Where is the money coming from? Also, if uemployment or the state is paying for it, then it has to be something approved by THEM.

Like for instance, they keep pushing people to be Homecare Attendants. I could NEVER do this. The thought of cleaning up a grown person's spit, feeding or washing them makes me ill. I barely like doing it for babies. Yet, the government will try to force this down your throat whether you're cut out for it or not which will only result in many abused or neglected patients..

Anyways, it really doesn't matter what field you go into as jobs are scarce in all of them.

We need to face facts as a country that out government and the corporations blew smoke up our asses and many jobs are gone forever.
same place i got the money when i had to make the decison . the trade school had a finance program and i borrowed the money.

it was either that or face low paying jobs for life.

jobs sucked too. it was during the horrible late 1970's with gas lines ,no jobs and raging inflation .

interest on that loan was insane too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City