Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 09:21 AM

31 posts, read 68,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
OK lets bring this conversation back to reality. You do realize smoking is not illegal right? Bloomberg did not outlaw smoking. You do realize he is not outlawing soda right? He is outlawing the SIZE.

So the anti-government tea-party people can sit back down in their medicare paid for hoverround, take a deep breath in their government paid for oxygen tank, and maybe take a couple of their high blood pressure bills, courtesy of the government too of course.

If you want freedom, and people/authority not telling you what to do...I AGREE WITH YOU. But that isn't what you want. You want FREEDOM and nobody/authority telling you what to do...that is until you get lung cancer from smoking 3 packs a day, or a heartattack at 45 from eating Mcdonalds 5x a week, or get a permanent brain injury because you don't wear a seat belt. Then freedom has nothing to do with anything...the government (aka taxpayers) should take care of you!

So which is it? So please, if you want freedom and nobody telling you what to do, you should be responsible for those repercussions and get private insurance to take care of you and your own source of income to support you when all that "freedom" doesn't turn out the way you planned. Otherwise, you are just spewing rhetoric and being completely hypocritical.
I don't think anyone who doesn't want the government telling them what to eat is automatically an "anti-government tea partier". Give me a break, any responsible person should thinks its ridiculous that the government wants to tell them how big their beverages should be.

If anyone is "spewing rhetoric" its you. You act as if only people with extremely bad lifestyles drink soda or smoke cigs. We didn't come up with the idea of living in a democratic republic so that our elected officials can regulate our diets. Just admit that big brother is over stepping its boundaries and intruding on our rights.

If you really wanna cut medicaid spending then stop giving it to illegals who don't pay taxes. Oh wait, that's not politically correct....so lets ban soda instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 09:23 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,718,516 times
Only you who probably feed off the government teat as a matter of course don't realize that those of us who don't ideologically feel we are part of the 99%, have usually taken care of those medical bills through work, savings, and proper purchasing of long term health insurance.

Of course, since we are forced to participate in Medicare, we have no choice but to live long enough to see you pay for our unhealthy life style. Go have another Red Bull.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:23 AM

34,179 posts, read 47,465,420 times
Quote:
OK lets bring this conversation back to reality. You do realize smoking is not illegal right? Bloomberg did not outlaw smoking. You do realize he is not outlawing soda right? He is outlawing the SIZE.

So the anti-government tea-party people can sit back down in their medicare paid for hoverround, take a deep breath in their government paid for oxygen tank, and maybe take a couple of their high blood pressure bills, courtesy of the government too of course.

If you want freedom, and people/authority not telling you what to do...I AGREE WITH YOU. But that isn't what you want. You want FREEDOM and nobody/authority telling you what to do...that is until you get lung cancer from smoking 3 packs a day, or a heartattack at 45 from eating Mcdonalds 5x a week, or get a permanent brain injury because you don't wear a seat belt. Then freedom has nothing to do with anything...the government (aka taxpayers) should take care of you!

So which is it? So please, if you want freedom and nobody telling you what to do, you should be responsible for those repercussions and get private insurance to take care of you and your own source of income to support you when all that "freedom" doesn't turn out the way you planned. Otherwise, you are just spewing rhetoric and being completely hypocritical.
As far as the smoking goes, I'm a smoker. You see how they repealed the ban on smoking in parks and on beaches. It takes a big man to step up and say "I did something wrong."

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-31-2012, 09:47 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,916,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickNYR View Post
I don't think anyone who doesn't want the government telling them what to eat is automatically an "anti-government tea partier". Give me a break, any responsible person should thinks its ridiculous that the government wants to tell them how big their beverages should be.

If anyone is "spewing rhetoric" its you. You act as if only people with extremely bad lifestyles drink soda or smoke cigs. We didn't come up with the idea of living in a democratic republic so that our elected officials can regulate our diets. Just admit that big brother is over stepping its boundaries and intruding on our rights.

If you really wanna cut medicaid spending then stop giving it to illegals who don't pay taxes. Oh wait, that's not politically correct....so lets ban soda instead.
Aside from agreeing with the core argument of non-external interference into personal choices, I think you should know that Illegal immigrants are not eligible for Medicaid, their US born children are.

What usually happens, is that when they get seriously ill, they will go to the emergency room, and since it's against the law to turn down anybody with an ugent medical condition - let alone inhumane - they will be serviced.

Unfortunaly, If healthcare in the U.S. wasn't such a big profitable business, the U.S. government wouldn't spend as much as it currently does.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:00 AM

18,502 posts, read 31,723,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
As far as the smoking goes, I'm a smoker. You see how they repealed the ban on smoking in parks and on beaches. It takes a big man to step up and say "I did something wrong."

Lost you on that, so you can smoke in a park and on a beach?

I thought you were not allowed.

ugh, how many more months for Bloomie. I just cant stand the man.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:00 AM

3,077 posts, read 5,512,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Typical Health Nazi BS. Lets see who pays for your healthy live-forever lifestyle when you are 80 years old, senile, peeing in your pants, drooling out your mouth and don't have a dime saved for a nursing facility because you spent your career at Staryucks and had to rent that $3,000 a month closet you call an apartment.

Haha!! So true.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:02 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,407,271 times
Yeah sure..that's what he is doing. What he is actually doing is spewing rhetoric, nothing more. As for the above comment, it is one thing to need care for a heartattack at 80, it is another to be 20 and say "ain't nobody telling me I can't have 3 big macs a day, or stop me from drinking 4 2 liter sodas a day, and I can be 400 pounds and it ain't none of your business." 15 years later, this person has a heart attack at the age of 40, can no longer work, and is now the ward of the state, with all healthcare, housing, food, medications, etc paid for by THE GOVERNMENT and this person EXPECTS the government to take care of him and his choices.

But what about freedom and "the government staying out of my business." I AGREE..so now the government will stay out of YOUR BUSINESS. Take care of yourself and don't ask the government to. Problem is solved.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:04 AM

18,502 posts, read 31,723,464 times
Quote:

But why should a size be outlawed?????

what gives him the right to tell us we cannot drink an extra large size?????

next he will tell us we can only eat "1 hot dog" from the street vendor....

are you kidding me???, where does this stop.???

should I get a permit from my Doctor that will say I am healthy enough to consume 2 hot dogs and an extra large soda????? so as to not raise my health insurance rates...

Old 05-31-2012, 10:09 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,407,271 times
As soon as taxpayers are not responsible for your choices, the sooner you can have all the freedoms you want. It is really that simple. I am agreeing with all of you! I don't want government telling you what to do...I want government to stay out of your business. And the flip side is, the government is not taking care of your health, housing, medications...it is none of their business remember? You take care of it. I AM AGREEING WITH YOU ALL.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:24 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,428,193 times
enough with the taxpayer rhetoric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City