Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 07:04 AM

25,392 posts, read 37,139,204 times

Advertisements

Mainstreet media doesn't like stuff like this. After all what would you expect? Half the TV media is owned by GENERAL ELECTRIC makers of TIDE and most of the nuclear reactors of the world, with remaining minority stakes taken up DISNEY, MURDOCH (New Corp,) TIME WARNER, VIACOM, and CBS.

ANY indications that Americans are fed up with corporate malfeasance is NOT going to be a popular topic with entrenched $$$$companies$$$$ like these.

So the word quietly goes down from the boardrooms to "clam up" on any anticorporate topics and the stations dutifully CLAM UP.

No dictator has ever had the power of censorship that these worldwide behemoth corporations have.

You can BET that if this demonstration were going on in Venezuela, Syria, Iran, or North Korea, China or any country deemed proper to hate at the moment, you would get nonstop reporting of the ATROCITIES being committed by the police on 24/7 basis and cries for the US to overthrow the "criminal regime."

But when it happens in the U.S., MUM'S the word.

Last edited by Kefir King; 09-29-2011 at 07:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 07:24 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,578,566 times
Oh please, American news barely touches what is going on in the rest of the world, its all Americo-centric or American-foreign interests. Watch the BBC news and then report back.

As for the demonstrators at Wall st., it isn't much of a story (yet) because there isn't much going on besides the whole peppper spray fiasco. Everyone heard about it on the first day in the news and thats enough (unless it suddenely gets much bigger). Most people in NYC, even in Manhattan are hardly aware of its existence, there's a demonstration every day here about something anyway.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:48 AM

206 posts, read 294,764 times
I don't recall citizens claiming a park and occupying it for two weeks happening anytime in recent NYC memory.

Don't be fooled by the corporate media, ignoring the story is a suppression method. If they gave this story lengthy sympathetic coverage and started connecting the protestors demands to the needs of the average American, you would start to see it grow exponentially.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:46 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,578,566 times
Really? - Tompkins Park was occupied for ages by homeless people. In recent memory.

You are actaully being disingenous because what you want is bigger publicity for this than it warrants. You are the one wanting to manipulate a one-day story into something of consequence. You want it to be a big thing, but its really just a bee sting.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:38 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,641,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Vigoda View Post
...we are all the 99% - employed, unemployed, GED, PhD, civil servant, temp worker. The top 1% does not care about you.
This is true. But you notice that the top 1%, for such a relatively small minority of the population, doesn't seem the least bit concerned about this alleged 'movement'. (Perhaps because they know that YouTube videos to the contrary, they're still the ones who actually occupy Wall Street).

Old 09-29-2011, 02:59 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,974,197 times
I really don't understand what, or whom, these Occupy Wall St protesters are protesting. I don't think even they know. Their website is filled with the same, vague idealistic propaganda regarding "corporate greed" and the 1%. But what does that even mean?

It seems to me that they are protesting the very institution of capitalism. Living in the U.S. and extolling the virtues of democracy, but protesting capitalism? Am I the only one that thinks this is hypocritical? What are the goals of these protests? I mean, specifically, in terms of what laws and policies you want changed, which corporations and which people (name names) you want punished, and what, specifically, you want them punished for. I'm tired of hearing the fluffy propaganda about how Wall Street ruined everything. Really? Errrrything? We, the 99%, played no role in enabling that 1%?

Didn't the 1% get to be the 1% because the 99% of us ALL voluntarily consume and use their products and services? How many of the 99% of us don't consume products and services of:

• AT&T
  • Verizon
  • Procter & Gamble (everything from Crest to Tampax, people)
  • Kraft
  • Coca-Cola
  • Home Depot
  • Wal-Mart
  • Viacom
  • Big Tobacco
  • Big Pharma (Do you take over the counter medications for those tension headaches or PMS? Do you take prescription medications for your depression, OCD, ADD, allergies, birth control, sexual dysfunction, etc. etc?)
  • Big Oil (it doesn't matter if you don't own a car, never take cabs and buses and only take the subway...how do you think most of the products you consume get delivered to your general vicinity?)

???

These people camped out downtown are walking around with North Face backpacks, Dell laptops, iPhones, digital cameras and brand name clothing and shoes. I'm sure they all consume multiple products from the bulleted list above. They are using Verizon and AT&T for their Facebook & Twitter activism.

I wonder how many homeless people they walked right by on the street or ignored on the subway to camp out in Zuccotti Park to rage against the monied and stand in solidarity with the "poor". And I wonder how many of these protestors are going to change their consumer habits (stop watching Viacom's The Daily Show, give up their iPhones, give up any and all Coca-Cola products, give up their Prozac and their Zyrtec and their Starbucks. Give me a freakin' break.

As for the supposed police over reaction to this event...look at what happened at the London riots a couple of months ago. That seems to be something that can turn into a real trend. I'd say the NYPD was bracing for the worst. The London riots started out as peaceful protests as well. But you never know what will happen when emotions are running high and even the most level-headed person can be inspired to do and say outrageous things by social media and mob mentality.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:49 PM

206 posts, read 294,764 times
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...ANCE/110929865

Quote:
“It's become too big to ignore,” said one political consultant.
Is it legitimate yet?

Old 09-29-2011, 08:52 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,645,420 times
I'm all for protesting but this anonymous group just really bother me. From a personal point-of-view, most the people I know who protest do so because they just want to seem cool and want to seem apart of something bigger than themselves. Which is understandable to an extent but if you're going to protest, I feel you have to do it because you really want to change something. Most the people I know I just feel want to go protest to scream, yell and act like and try to reenact they are hippies in the 60's-70's. We have the right to protest but I feel like there's better ways than to post up stupid signs and wear stupid costumes and say dumb corny stuff that's really not going to amount to anything.

I don't want to look at it in a pessimistic view but I feel like they pretty much know what's going to happen when they "Occupy Wall Street".

Old 09-29-2011, 09:21 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,145,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Mainstreet media doesn't like stuff like this. After all what would you expect? Half the TV media is owned by GENERAL ELECTRIC makers of TIDE and most of the nuclear reactors of the world, with remaining minority stakes taken up DISNEY, MURDOCH (New Corp,) TIME WARNER, VIACOM, and CBS.

ANY indications that Americans are fed up with corporate malfeasance is NOT going to be a popular topic with entrenched $$$$companies$$$$ like these.

So the word quietly goes down from the boardrooms to "clam up" on any anticorporate topics and the stations dutifully CLAM UP.

No dictator has ever had the power of censorship that these worldwide behemoth corporations have.

You can BET that if this demonstration were going on in Venezuela, Syria, Iran, or North Korea, China or any country deemed proper to hate at the moment, you would get nonstop reporting of the ATROCITIES being committed by the police on 24/7 basis and cries for the US to overthrow the "criminal regime."

But when it happens in the U.S., MUM'S the word.
Chief Corporation hater. As if all Corps are evil and all police are brutal. Yes all the corps are coming to take us away. Right... shouldn't you be camped out in the park beating your drum and smoking some "creativity".

Old 09-29-2011, 09:29 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,224,938 times

DAY OF RAGE!! - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City