Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 07:29 AM

25,393 posts, read 37,143,243 times

Advertisements

All peaceful demonstration that turn violent do so because of police overreaction or malfeasance...or ASSAULT.

They should start testing cops for steroid use...it would cut the NYPD bidget in half after the offenders were fired.
Before ease of video recording, all these thug cops all got off the hook. It's not quite so easy now that there are dozens of cameras pointed at them.

I am glad that the demonstrators are sticking it out calling world atttention to the problems of growing income inequity in the United States.

Remember the demonstrations that ended the Vietnamese War started out with only handfuls of demonstrators.

Last edited by Kefir King; 09-27-2011 at 07:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 03:46 PM

2,362 posts, read 3,000,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Vigoda View Post
Wall St is no savior. No one is calling for a dismantling of Wall St, only for the banks to actually pay taxes.
And to get money out of politics.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:38 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
Or that these kids are little rich kids trying to be revolutionary. Seems most are hippies or young kids looking for a fight. I agree that some of the police violence looks bad but they are capturing these incidents AFTER the fact. How do we know what happened before they started taping? A lot of them are trying to sit down and cause a scene, well then you will be removed. You can't block streets, that infringes on OTHERS rights.

Most of the kids from Columbia and NYU aren't working or paying their own way so you can't complain about taxes when you don't understand them. This whole protest seems like a reason to start fights but they have no clue what they are rallying against.

Totally agree. I love how the cameras rolll ONLY when the cops are taking someone down and not before when the jerk probably did something to the cop.

There are some "older" ones, too, though. They interviewed one of these protestors on the news earlier today. The guy claims he was in construction or some other nonsense and lost his business, etc and now "can't keep food on the table for his kids".

Okay, jackhole, you "can't keep food on your table" but your camping out in a private park in Manhattan to protest. Protest what? Your own stupidity??? You were in "construction" --- helloooooo, housing market TANKED years ago. You should have gotten a JOB and then maybe you could have "kept food on your table"

Oh, and just an FYI, if you can't feed your kids, you should be walking up and down the roadways picking up cans to make money to buy them some food.

(I DESPISE when people say "i can't keep food on my table for my kids". What a bunch of bullsh*t. )

Old 09-27-2011, 09:42 PM

402 posts, read 854,071 times
I like how these people are protesting the system that enabled their fathers to earn enough of a living so that they can take a week off from life without any repercussions.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:39 AM

11 posts, read 20,598 times
I have to say while I don't condone the police using pepper spray in that one video I actually found it funny to be perfectly honest after watching the phony reactions. You could almost hear the delight in the protesters screams that they got sprayed and it was exactly the kind of thing they wanted. I mean watch the way the one reacts. It was a dream come true! Like a lot of other people on here I'm really tired of the useless people who instead of doing something productive, that could be effective to help society, they do the easy deadbeat thing and go join a protest with a bunch of other deadbeats who don't feel like doing something challenging and then want to act like martyrs when really they are only creating mayhem. Yeah big banks screwed us in a lot of ways, but ridiculous people disrupting and disturbing people who had absolutely nothing to do with it is not only unacceptable, its rude, its mean, its ignorant, and quite frankly pathetic. I'm so tired of people intentionally challenging law enforcement and then when they finally get the overreaction they we're most likely hoping for they go crying foul. When you have a job like maintaining law and order, and your being challenged by absolutely ridiculous and insane protesters who will stop at nothing to successfully provoke you, I think we can all agree there are going to be overreactions and mistakes made because these aren't robots they are human beings. It shouldn't happen very often but its just going to happen and everybody knows it. That's the trade-off for not having complete anarchy on our streets and maintaining rights for all, not just people acting immature like we have in this situation. At your job, your not perfect all the time either and I bet your job isn't as difficult as a cop. I doubt youtube videos are rolling when you step into the office hoping to end your career. My advice to people is simple. Protest because it's your right, but stay away from me or anyone else's rights. Follow the law or expect the law to deal with you. If someone in a uniform tells you to do something YOU DO IT, because they are your boss. We hire them to be your boss in case you thought they were supposed to come and hold your hand when your out blocking traffic. You can file a complaint or whatever later but mouthing off to the NYPD is only done by someone who is mentally unstable, stupid or someone who wants to challenge that policeman. Sorry the cop did that and he should apologize for losing his cool. They aren't perfect and they never will be so best listen to instructions carefully and show some respect if you want some back. And get out there and look for a job because 90% of the country is employed and they are leaving you all behind.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:56 AM

675 posts, read 1,257,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFER1980 View Post
I have to say while I don't condone the police using pepper spray in that one video I actually found it funny to be perfectly honest after watching the phony reactions. You could almost hear the delight in the protesters screams that they got sprayed and it was exactly the kind of thing they wanted. I mean watch the way the one reacts. It was a dream come true! Like a lot of other people on here I'm really tired of the useless people who instead of doing something productive, that could be effective to help society, they do the easy deadbeat thing and go join a protest with a bunch of other deadbeats who don't feel like doing something challenging and then want to act like martyrs when really they are only creating mayhem. Yeah big banks screwed us in a lot of ways, but ridiculous people disrupting and disturbing people who had absolutely nothing to do with it is not only unacceptable, its rude, its mean, its ignorant, and quite frankly pathetic. I'm so tired of people intentionally challenging law enforcement and then when they finally get the overreaction they we're most likely hoping for they go crying foul. When you have a job like maintaining law and order, and your being challenged by absolutely ridiculous and insane protesters who will stop at nothing to successfully provoke you, I think we can all agree there are going to be overreactions and mistakes made because these aren't robots they are human beings. It shouldn't happen very often but its just going to happen and everybody knows it. That's the trade-off for not having complete anarchy on our streets and maintaining rights for all, not just people acting immature like we have in this situation. At your job, your not perfect all the time either and I bet your job isn't as difficult as a cop. I doubt youtube videos are rolling when you step into the office hoping to end your career. My advice to people is simple. Protest because it's your right, but stay away from me or anyone else's rights. Follow the law or expect the law to deal with you. If someone in a uniform tells you to do something YOU DO IT, because they are your boss. We hire them to be your boss in case you thought they were supposed to come and hold your hand when your out blocking traffic. You can file a complaint or whatever later but mouthing off to the NYPD is only done by someone who is mentally unstable, stupid or someone who wants to challenge that policeman. Sorry the cop did that and he should apologize for losing his cool. They aren't perfect and they never will be so best listen to instructions carefully and show some respect if you want some back. And get out there and look for a job because 90% of the country is employed and they are leaving you all behind.
I learned something new today: the police officers are our BOSSES and 90% of the country is fully employed lol. But lets all remember that blocking traffic is the real concern not the literal looting of trillion of dollars by the corporate elite that has led to the dismantling of this country's middle class.

Just remember this (elite supporters), every dog has its day...

Old 09-28-2011, 05:40 AM

25,393 posts, read 37,143,243 times
I'd pay a bit to seee the poster who thought the protestors squealed in delight, get a faceful of pepper spray.
I would look hard for any signs of delight in his squealing.

"But madame, the poor have no bread"
"Then let them eat CAKE!"
I guess Marie Antionette lives on in many forms.

"But madame all the jobs are gone!"
"Then let them get OTHER jobs...let them work on WALL STREET."

When the banks were on the verge of toppling were the board members and officers told to fiind another line of work? NO...they were heavily rewarded by taxpayers. They are too SPECIAL to be required to find new employment in a business model that WORKS, but rather prefer the dole.

But unemployed construction workers should "walk along the roadside and gather cans!"

And these twerps wonder why there is a protest going on!
And they would probably wonder why the crowds screamed in joy as the lords and ladies were led to the guillotine in 1789 France.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:09 AM

11 posts, read 20,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I'd pay a bit to seee the poster who thought the protestors squealed in delight, get a faceful of pepper spray.
I would look hard for any signs of delight in his squealing.

"But madame, the poor have no bread"
"Then let them eat CAKE!"
I guess Marie Antionette lives on in many forms.

"But madame all the jobs are gone!"
"Then let them get OTHER jobs...let them work on WALL STREET."

When the banks were on the verge of toppling were the board members and officers told to fiind another line of work? NO...they were heavily rewarded by taxpayers. They are too SPECIAL to be required to find new employment in a business model that WORKS, but rather prefer the dole.

But unemployed construction workers should "walk along the roadside and gather cans!"

And these twerps wonder why there is a protest going on!
And they would probably wonder why the crowds screamed in joy as the lords and ladies were led to the guillotine in 1789 France.
Yeah well I never said they didn't have valid points (hopefully you don't look around comparing our society to France in 1789 either) but I think translating that energy into helping people or doing something that's actually productive instead of trying to get in the spotlight and get on tv is not going to help themselves or anybody else. It's the same thing with all of these people that do this sort of thing. Everybody has this soft place in their heart for these people but they hate you. They hate you for having a job, they hate you for having that nice apartment on Wall Street, and they hate you for working hard and working for 40 hours a week. These are the radical people flanked by the likes of Susan Sarandon and company. They aren't in touch with our lives or what we go through. You'd like to see me get pepper sprayed, well fine, but I'd like to see these people offered a job to get out of their bed on Wall Street. I bet a bottle of pepper spray they don't get up. These aren't the responsible people that you think they are. Having a protest for a day is one thing but protesting is not a full time job. I applaud your sympathy and we probably agree on a lot concerning how Wall Street itself is threatening the country but these are not the people you want leading the way to reform.

And to the impressive person who replied that I said 90% of Americans are fully employed . . . Well right above you can see I never said anything anywhere about anyone being "fully" employed. And yes when your blocking traffic and disrupting people who had nothing to do with anything then yes the police are your boss. If you think you don't have to obey police and they aren't your boss go break the law and you will find out they are definitely your boss whether it's in NYC or in Boise Idaho. Maybe you should wikipedia police so you'll fully understand their functions in our society. They are not there for our enjoyment, they are their to do a job .

Maybe something good will come out of these protests but they aren't winning me over yet and that's normally easy to do.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:26 PM

206 posts, read 294,783 times
All I can do is shake my head after reading some of these posts. If you remember anything about this movement let it be this: we are all the 99% - employed, unemployed, GED, PhD, civil servant, temp worker. The top 1% does not care about you.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:28 PM

206 posts, read 294,783 times
And lets not forget that the police are not our bosses: to protect and SERVE is their motto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City