Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 09:42 AM

25 posts, read 233,760 times

Advertisements

I Went To Ps138, Jhs 231, Springfield Gardens 1967-1971 Lived By Pizza King. Moved To Rosedale In 1957 Moved In 1984 To Massapequa Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 10:04 AM

21 posts, read 174,414 times
[quote=NeilMcL;2800534]RosedaleNY - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting (the link codes are messed up on this board. So just copy and paste from http to the last / before the "]")

Great pictures...the one from Brookville looking up 148th Ave, had lots of friends who lived there as our house was just across Brookville almost looking up 148th Ave. So much has changes yet so much still looks the same. Too bad you didn't get a shot of Rosedale Lanes as they will be putting up a CVS on that property pretty soon.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:07 AM

21 posts, read 174,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE JENETTE View Post
I Went To Ps138, Jhs 231, Springfield Gardens 1967-1971 Lived By Pizza King. Moved To Rosedale In 1957 Moved In 1984 To Massapequa Park.
I had lived on Brookville and 148th Ave, next to the Gypsy family. Maybe you might know my step sister Gail Bronstein who graduated in 71 from Springfield.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:24 AM

I Lived On 148 Th Avenue And Brookville . My Wife Lived On Brookville And 148 Th Road. Corner House. What Years Did You Live There. I Know Her.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:51 AM

I Remember Whenthe 3rd And Forth Floors Were From 6-8 Grade. Then They Built Jhs 231. I Remember The Fire And The Staircases Had Wire Doors Blocking Them When Closed. There Was After School Where You Could Play Dodgeball Upstairs Or Softball Outside. Then At Night They Opened The Gym For Basketball And Rollerskating. Went There From 1959-1964.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 16,475 times
Default Rosedale 1940-1962

Attended PS 138 from Jan 1944 till June 1952.
Miss Banta, Jessica Burgler, Clark were teachers in 7th and 8th grades.
Front of the school was swamp and a good place to get lost.
We wore plastic dog tags in school and did the drill for a nuclear attack.

Attended the ground breaking for St. Clare's School.
We had release-time from PS 138 on Wednesday afternoon to attend religion classes at local churches.

Activities were basketball at the Park and PS 138 and baseball at the park. All sports were under PAL and 105th precinct with Harry Rasmussen as coach.

Down back of Rosedale at the hardware store accross the street from the A&P was an open lot. During the summer, they would show movies against the hardware store wall.

Between the two lakes was a stream and near the picnic area were two pipes that cross the stream. The challenge was to walk across the pipes without falling into the water.

Sunrise Highway was always backed up when the Sunrise Drive-in was open. We liked to sit on the wall and look and sometimes hear the movies.

There were some old runways near the drive-in and one of the buildings was called the Bulleva building. We liked to fly model airplanes on the old runway.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:50 AM

4 posts, read 40,602 times
Default Wow

what a great article...great memories.....is this the great Joe Jenette baseball player / coach extoradinare?

A Kaplan...is that you Beanie?

Rosedale was awesome...I miss it all the time....that other supermarket on 243rd was Met foods right?

Richie Rizzo always said it...--special time, special place!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:29 AM

Default Was Great Baseball Player Still Great Coach

What's Up. Live In Boca Raton Over 20 Years. Have 5 Boys, You Know I Was Still Goin To Coach. Baseball, Football, Basketball. Same Wife Almost 30 Years, Marie. How You Doing. Your Dad Pappy Was A Great Guy. I Saw Leigh Apperstein Managing At A Bowling Alley. A Little Bookie On The Side. He Says Mike Younulis Comes Down Once In A While. Hows It Going. Nothing Like Growing Up In Rosedale. Where You At Now. Family Ok. Hows Your Brother Tony. Ill Never Forget His Bachelor Party. Do You Remember A Black Kid That Would Always Show Up At The Baseball Fields At Brookfield And We Would Make Him Umpire. Well I Ran Into Him Umpiring One Of My Games 20 Years Later. I Didnt Recognize Him But He Did Me And Gave Me A Bearhug. I Thought He Was Crazy. Hes Now A Principal Of A High School Down Here. See Where Rosedale Sports Asso. Got You. Keep In Touch.e Mail telefoneman1@aol.com

Old 02-22-2008, 10:49 AM

4 posts, read 40,602 times
Default joe

thanks joe for the kind words about my Dad...you helped us a lot when we were kids in the Babe Ruth League, remember ? Myself, Joe and Bobby LaRusso, plenty of others..especially with hitting...

No suprise you are still coaching..beleive it or not, I still play...I drive to the Island from Putnam Sundays during the summer to play fast pitch softball with Vin Gerbasio, John Ablamsky and my brothers Sam and Andy..we also have Eddie Coughlin from Rosedale on the team also...we started this team with all Rosedale guys back in 1986! Angelo Fusco, Frank Twomley, Herman Hernandez, my brother Anthony, all have played for us at various times...

Anthony coaches High School softball in florida..and i coach varsity at local High School also...

Awesome about that kid..i cant remember his name but I remember he was the nicest little kid..I think he lived by the park right?

Old 02-22-2008, 11:38 AM

Stopped Playing At 42. Bad Knees. One Replaced. One To Go. Then Ill Be Back.
Laruuso Lives By Me. His Dad Still Looks The Same. Alot Of Old Names. Anthony Lives In What Part Of Florida. Have One Boy Left In High School, A Basketball Player.hes Finishing His Junior Year, A Starting Point Guard. Waiting For My Grandchildren ( Have 2 ) To Go Back To Coaching The Little Guys. Anybody Marry Local Girls From Rosedale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City