Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 02:33 PM

3 posts, read 35,651 times

Advertisements

wow you know rosedale well. I recall everthing. i havn't heard the "gully" for twenty years it was a blast to reads your post i miss rosedale alot I live in florida now.I go back everynow and again to visit family in long island but always find myself back on 243rd street and 135ave. Do you know the scotti's??? keep in touch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 02:38 PM

3 posts, read 35,651 times
was he mike sperro?

Old 09-27-2007, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 12,265 times
I remember all very well! Does anyone rember when there were two grocery stores on 243rd street??? They were Bohack's and ????? There were also two bakeries. Rosedale bakery and Palermo's which also sold Pizza. Bambi's is still there, in name only. Not the same. St. Pius closed two years ago. Rosedale Sports Assoc. was the thing to belong to back then, besides CYO. Some of the best memories of growing up. Thanks for reminding me.

Do You Remember...
Bambi's? On 243rd St?
The St. Pius School Bazar? In their schoolyard.
Replaced by the Sons of Italy Feast? In their parking lot
That The Sons of Italy building used to be Pizza King? 147th Ave abd Brookfield Blvd
Walking to Green Acres? Through the open gate behind Sunrise Cinemas
The rumor every year that the city was going to setup a hockey rink in Brookfield park? It was supposed to be built near the fire house.
The old Drive-In theater? Always looking at it when leaving the mall at night.
Twin Donut? On Sunrise Highway.
Herman's Sporting Goods in Valley Stream? It was always a mess inside.
When Hook Creek Road was bumpy? Pothole capital of New York.
The Gully in Brookfield Park? Next to the tennis courts.
The Boat House in Brookfield Park? Used to rent paddle wheel boats for the lake.
The two baseball fields used for the "farm" level of Little League? Between the commuter parking lot and Hook Creek Blvd.
Snake Road? Don't have an auto break down when traveling on it.
Rosedale Sports Association? Entrance was a side door.
Danny's Cabs? Also know as Danny's Dare Devils.
Walking to "Town"? 243rd Street
The 747's out of Kennedy? Saturday morning, 7:45am.
When President Regan visited in 1985? Drove right down Francis Lewis Blvd into North Woodmere.[/quote]

Old 10-14-2007, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 12,172 times
I grew up in this beautiful little town. In my time Rosedale was simply the best place any kid could grow up in. We moved in around 1958 and moved out in the 70's, I remember all of those things mentioned and so much more. The Queens Day and Memorial Day parades, the bazaar at the Rosedale Jewish Center, George at the hardware store, Mrs. Brownne at Brownnie's (or was it Browning's?) the stationery store, Jimmy the butcher, Mrs. Shaumberger the dance teacher and George & Ruth who owned the candy store before it became Dave's, my favorite luncheonette/candy store. They were there everyday as I walked in or passed by their stores. As a teenager the Drive-In, Green Acres, Brookville Park, the Burger & Shake, and the bowling alley were big hang out spots. Everyone knew you and who's kid you were. Life was grand when I lived in Rosedale.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:11 AM

1 posts, read 11,648 times
Default Yes, I Remember It Well

I grew up in Laurelton, but I lived and worked in Rosedale. I was one of DANNY'S Daredevils. Anyone remeber Town & Country -- topless Dancing off HCB?

Old 10-21-2007, 10:24 PM

16 posts, read 131,761 times
I see allot of memory's on this page, but I see no names. I thought one of the reasons for this forum was to reunite perhaps old friends. Well I lived in Rosedale from 66-96.(parents and brother stayed longer) Two blocks from Rose's deli. Which I work at along with Roses Pizza, Joe was the owner back then at the pizza place then it was sold to a girl Elizabeth (she was so hot) and renamed Labari's. She married a guy Tommy martin; I'm still waiting that marriage out (lol) I lived on 242nd and 135th ave, corner house. I went to St Clare’s. Some of my friends then were Chucky Stroline, John Abunza (JP), George Quinn, the Napoli Brothers Anthony and Bobby, Anthony Pellicane and Robert McCann, Peter and Mike Macalese, Robert Nill, etc.
I think if you grew up in Rosedale during these years we had it the best. I could walk all night long thru Rosedale and never have problem, left windows open in the summer, it was a cool place. Played allot of softball with the Tucci Brothers at P.S.38 and a **** load of handball. If anyone wishes to contact me I think my e-mail can be found somewhere in this forum if not it's tom20349@yahoo.com
P.S. I HATE THOSE FRIGGIN RED SOX’S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-26-2007, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 11,604 times
I remember all of those places in rosedale, it was the best place to grow up!!
What about the rosedale rockets soccer club?

Old 10-26-2007, 10:12 AM

570 posts, read 1,820,030 times
I have a friend who use to live in Rosedale and she loved it. LIC was only a couple of block away from where she use to stay. Her husband just purchased a house for her and the kids in Cambria Heights not to long ago.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:07 AM

5 posts, read 30,553 times
Hi, I never lived in rosedale, but I had a lot of friends there. My friends never had anything bad to say about roesdale. I lived in Laurelton Queens. I've been in the Navy for 11 and a half years and I'm thinking of moving to Sunnyside Queens. Do you know anything about that location??

Old 10-27-2007, 09:16 AM

5 posts, read 30,553 times
How do you like that location? I use to live in Laurelton Queens. I just separated from the military and landed a job in Manhattan. I just not sure where to live??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City