Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 03:21 PM

157 posts, read 395,047 times

Advertisements

Here you go anon- Gentrification Causing More Crime In Brooklyn? - Gothamist

Old 01-10-2011, 03:57 PM

810 posts, read 838,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Bloomberg does plenty wrong, however he has done far more good than bad..which is much more than I can say for 99% of elected officials..so in my eyes he is an overall positive, not a negative. He is not prefect, but neither is he a "dictator" or "control freak"....he is an effective Mayor that has a vision for NYC that I don't disagree with, and he gets things done to move us forward. I think those are all reasonable statements.

As for crime specifically, it's too early to tell anything for 2011..but I still believe it will be similar to last year, which was on par with the record low years of 2008 and 2007..and well below 2006!
What exactly did Bloomberg do for the "community"?

Under him many poor, working class, and minorities suffered due to his politics that supported rich investors. Those darn hipstersTM.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:26 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,814,817 times
Thats really sad that article. But I had been saying it for the longest time. People are cool with the hipsters and yuppies until it affected them personally. Once them moving in meant displacement it was bound to happen. Unfortunately in desperate times, people resort to violence and crime as an easy way to escape it all...

I do not know if this is happening in Bed-stuy. I know this has definitely happened in Bushwick where yuppies have gotten beat up real bad thanks to some ignorant thugs... Does anyone know more on this matter? And whether Bed-stuy is gentrifying because of a slowdown in crime over there or was it simply a random occurance that I saw about five white people coming in the train on Nostrand Avenue?

Old 01-10-2011, 11:18 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,429,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
*sigh* yeap...Nostrand's hood rep is just going down the toilet these days...
maybe nostrand in the suty, but not nostrand in southern crown heights or flatbush. The veer? nostrand gets it in. Nostrand in bed stuy does seem like the most calm side of nostrand in the from the junction to bed stuy.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:16 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,392,963 times
Allen I believe I have spoken at length for what Bloomberg has, and tries/tried to do, for all communities, especially the Southern Bronx.

Regarding the above article, you cannot blame hipsters for the crimes occuring....that is really silly logic. It is simply criminals targeting new people. Like if you won the lotto and you started becoming the target of crime, your family was kidnapped for ransoms etc....is it fair to blame you for the increase in crime? NO..it is just criminals looking for an opportunity where there was none before.

I don't think whites should be afraid or prevented from moving into people of color neighborhoods anymore than people of color should be afraid or prevented from moving into "white" neighborhoods due to some small contingent of ignorant people or opportunistic criminals.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:52 AM

At sobroguy nobody blaimed hipsters for the crimes that were occuring. But unfortunately crimes are definitely happening to hipsters. The media won't search for things like that because it brings negative attention to the area in general that they're trying to hype up which is Brooklyn. However, that being said, the truth of the matter is that hipsters should take more precaution now than previously before because there moving in is coinciding with an increase in prices.

We can lie and say that the locals don't care about paying more for rent but coming from someone who sees it happening and doesn't want anyone else getting caught by one of those disgruntled locals can tell you that unfortunately people feel as if the hipsters are wearing out their welcome. Does it make sense? No. Is it right? No. But does it happen more than a couple of times? Yes it does. To everyone out there, I have nothing against the hipsters and I continue to hope that things can work out but evidence in Bushwick at least suggests otherwise.

To all the hipsters or people looking for cheap apartments in diverse locations or if you prefer minority locations theres a plethora of neighborhoods that have reasonable rents and provide easy subway access or trains that lead directly to Manhattan as well. In Queens, Jamaica, South Jamaica, Woodhaven, Astoria (certain parts), Glendale (certain parts), Maspeth (certain parts), Jackson Heights, Ozone park, South Ozone Park, Flushing (certain areas). I dont know why you limit yourselves to specific high crime areas in Brooklyn but to be honest there's plenty of areas in Queens that offer what you seem to settle for or far better.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:39 PM

Anon I think the very few, if any, stories we hear show that all the new people moving into communities are in fact welcome, and there isn't anything to concern yourself about. Yes a few Hipsters have problems..so what? Welcome to NYC..or most communities where you are different for that matter.

The reality is if there were a backlash against Hipsters, or any group, you would hear all about it...but it isn't happening. The fact remains that the victims of crime in NYC are overwhelmingly Black, and the perpetrators are overwhelmingly Black. Black on Black crime in NYC is the epidemic that should be feared, and whites/Hipsters are WAY WAY WAY WAY down the line so as to be virtually nonexistent in crime.

To all the Hipsters or anyone else seeking to move into almost ANY community in NYC, the reality is if you keep your nose clean and use basic common sense, you have really nothing to worry about. However, if you are black, you have ALOT to worry about, much more than the average NYer, and the stats have proved this fact for decades, long before any alleged tinkering with CompStat. In addition, there has been alot of high profile attacks on Hispanic immigrants, legal and otherwise, as well as homosexuals...Hipsters and other NYers? Not so much.

Last edited by SobroGuy; 01-11-2011 at 02:21 PM..

Old 01-11-2011, 02:13 PM

Again we'll just have to agree to disagree and reading your post sometimes it even sounds as if you are trying to keep Black people out of NYC. I'm not saying thats the case, but its just the way it sounds.

Black on Black crime isn't an epidemic in NYC its an epidemic throughout the country. Wherever there are low-income areas of majority Black descent generally alot of Black on Black crime is going to happen. Just like alot of white on white crimes happen in other low-income majority white areas in the country (i.e. Appalachia Mountains, Tacoma, Washington just to give a couple examples).

Now again maybe in your gentrified area of Mott Haven things like this aren't occuring as much. I haven't been to Mott Haven but maybe even its experiencing a slow gentrification similar to what is going on in Red Hook and which may potentially end up like Williamsburg which is why you may not see it as much. I know that all I hear about in Mott Haven as of late is how much its gentrified... That being said, Bushwick has experienced alot of problems when it comes to hipsters and locals. This could be a potential reason why hipsters have stopped moving into Bushwick. On here if you read the threads all you see is what seem to be real estate agents talking about how fantastic this neighborhood has gotten and the time to buy is now and yet when those people sold on those lies come to live over here all you do is here them complain and say how ghetto this area is and how as soon as their lease is done, they are leaving. People can try to convince themselves on here if they want that the neighborhood is something its not, but it is what it is. And I know I said this before either on this thread or another one, but I would not put people's lives in danger by telling them to move into a high crime area where the chances of having a crime happen to them regardless of color are much higher than in other neighborhoods.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:32 PM

That's funny cuz reading your posts it seems you are trying to keep "Hipsters" out of NYC. My statement about Blacks is common knowledge and extremely unfortunate..but Black on Black crime in NYC is a serious epidemic here and has been for decades...and you don't comment on it...until now. Strange how your crime warnings are for Hipsters, but ignore the Black on Black epidemic...curious.

My area of Mott Haven is not gentrified, it is being revitalized, the entire Southern Bronx (south of 163rd) is being revitalized in fact. Anon...what evidence do you have to indicate Hispters have stopped moving into Bushwick? Is this just your opinion?

Nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to buy an overpriced condo in Bushwick. You show up in Bushwick and everything is there for you to see..the good and bad, and people are choosing to buy. Because you cannot understand that is moot, it is occurring. The fact remains that drugs drive the bulk of crime in NYC, 80% of murder victims in NYC are drug related, and 70% of the victims know the assailant. What does this tell us? Keep your nose clean and you won't have a problem....and this fact is much of the reason why people continue to move into neighborhoods you deem undesirable.

There is plenty of crime, unfortunately Blacks are often the victims and perpetrators, and they are the population you should be most concerned with....why would you be concerned with a few Hipsters being roughed up? It makes no logical sense unless you have an agenda..now I wonder what that could be...hmm..

Old 01-11-2011, 04:08 PM

Touche...

You can feel free to put whatever motives you want on me but I have not once said that hipsters should not move to NYC... you can check for yourself and see if you could find one instance where I tell the hipsters to stay out of all of NYC and I'll agree with you.

What I do always say is why do you search for places in Brooklyn that are high crime and I have continued to post different locations in Queens as well as other areas that are diverse so that the hipsters could potentially check out and be in less danger than moving to Bushwick...

The truth of the matter is that a good number of people on city-data post exaggerated facts or stretch the truth constantly on here to promote an agenda to bring hipsters into areas like Bushwick. Now im not gonna lie and say that I approve of replacing a population of poor minorities who are struggling, with white hipsters who increase value and once others take notice buy land and buy off the remaining population living there (ask 50% of the people that used to live in Williamsburg now Brooklyn Manhattan why did they leave...). However, I am neutral on the position of hipsters being in NYC.

What I am not neutral on is safety and potentially increasing the crime rate. To say that I don't care for Black on Black crime and simply worry about hipster being hurt to promote my own agenda is insulting... I have lost alot of friends due to Black on Black crime but the point is you don't see real estate agents driving people from Cambria Heights to Bushwick or Bed-stuy...

I think you know what I'm getting at...
As for Bushwick you can check for yourself, I can understand people's skepticism since I didn't provide a link so instead you can venture out to Bushwick for yourself and take a look at the "fantastic neighborhood of Bushwick that is rapidly gentrifying"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City