Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 12:36 PM

140 posts, read 536,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
Thought so - this thread has several damning complaints against him:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...t-windsor.html

Long story short - if several people are saying that your home inspector worked quickly and was "in and out" - that's a bad thing.

You want your home inspector to be a stickler.
Oh man thanks for that link. Now I'm worried he missed things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 12:40 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,695,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy76 View Post
Oh man thanks for that link. Now I'm worried he missed things.
Sorry. Just saying. A lot of people want to get a good deal, but is a couple of hundred saved worth it in the biggest purchase you'll ever make?

Old 09-02-2009, 01:07 PM

140 posts, read 536,569 times
I didn't go to him for the price, I went based on several recommendations.

He was very confident that his inspections take less time because of the thermal imaging technologies he uses, which cut's his time down by 1 hour. Who knows, I'll just keep my fingers crossed everything works out

Old 09-02-2009, 03:29 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,524,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy76 View Post
I'm a first time homebuyer too. And I used my realtor's real estate attorney which is a flat fee of $950, but he's in Northern NJ. My realtor stated it's mandatory to have a real estate attorney, especially when dealing with townhomes.

I found a great home inspector who does all of NJ, he charges approx. $385. Here's his website: Family Building Inspectors - East Brunswick, NJ - Home (http://www.familybuildinginspectors.com/home/ - broken link) He inspected the home in an hour and the report was ready 1 hour later which he e-mailed.
Absolutely not true. Your agent is either a complete dope or is lying to you.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:58 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,642,512 times
We used Joel Spivack in Cherry Hill. I think it was about $800...18 months ago. We were very happy with him.

Cheers,
Shanny

Old 09-02-2009, 07:08 PM

53 posts, read 422,789 times
While I suspect it may not be necessary, I think I'd rather have an attorney, especially for my first purchase since I am unfamiliar with how everything works here in NJ. My mom happens to be a realtor (in illinois). I guess lawyers are cheap over there, only $300-$400. $800 does seem like alot since most things are boilerplate. I have to clarify somethings with him. He said that he does the title search and survey, but when I asked if there are any fees for that, he said there are no fees for the review but the title and survey companies will charge a fee for their services. I always thought that the title insurance company did the search, so I'm not sure what exactly the lawyer does.

I don't think its mandatory to have a lawyer so it sounds strange for a realtor to say one is required.

As for the home inspector, I thought an hour sounded kinda short, but a townhouse isnt that big either. Is $385 a good price? I thought it would be more like $200. I'm not sure what thermal imaging really does for you. I guess seeing cold spots might tell about poor insulation or a leak.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:40 PM

2 posts, read 5,329 times
Smile Yes, get an attorney

I always use an attorney when I buy or sell - If the real estate agent and title company dont want you to use an attorney, be suspicious. Also, for what you're spending it makes sense to have legal protection - the agent and title company only have one goal - close and collect their check. Your attorney is the only person in it who can look out for things you dont even know are important.

I do investing and one attorney saved me more than the fee in a commission issue and another time caught an oil tank issue by knowing what language to use in the contract. My 2 cents.

Good luck.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:18 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,896,998 times
use a reputable Realtor and you will not need one.; We did not use in Feb when we moved to jersey and absolutely nothing went wrong where we needed one.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 2,822 times
Any realtor who tells you there's no reason to get an Attorney is up to no good...RUN & RUN FAST!!!
I just went thru a nightmare,misrepresentation of home & if I didn't have my atty I would of over paid for a home listed as renovated,new major components thru-out ..all lies & even after inspection confirmed realtors back pedaled blaming the other.. Realtors are money sucking sc*m trust none of them.

Having an Attorney is just another pocket to fill in the process.
I was told even if in contract it's meaningless... Amazing!

Old 12-13-2011, 04:28 AM

273 posts, read 957,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
The people I bought my house from weren't even at closing. Nor were either agent. it was basically myself, my wife, my lawyer, and their lawyer.
It is common for sellers to not attend, but 'be available' by phone. Frequently they are living far away in a new residence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey