Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 06:10 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,906,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Perhaps they realized that you could not "resist" - so they became overprotective?

From a few relationships that I have had with orthodox Jews, I realized that religion and family are the two most highly important and private items on life's menu. They were probably just trying to avoid involving something that they deem as "No Trespassing" - and would prefer not to be noticed for.! - Try complementing them on any other item and see as they gosh with enthusiasm. -Of course depending on personality.

As far as interaction with their woman - I basically gave up. I know that they are very religiously stringent in this area. Hold the door open for a man - if you're a man, or a woman - if you're a woman - it might work. - This is based on my corporate office “know how”

As a whole, based on costumers, clients and constituents, the orthodox are more shy then anything else. Once they warm-up they are a friendly group.

I have older relatives near Lakewood, and have visited a few times. I will do hands-on investigative observation the next time I’m up there.
So if I had smiled and said "Gee what a lovely day we are having, don't you just love the Spring time?" I would have gotten a kind reply instead of being ignored & glared at? I think not my friend. Complimenting a Parent on the beauty of their child is a natural thing. It's normal. It's nice. It's kind.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:52 AM

73 posts, read 202,256 times
Did They Speak English? Well? Today in America you never know who speaks what!

Old 04-27-2007, 11:55 AM

Wink Sure

You're right. It's me not them.

Here's an interesting little story from a reliable source. Actual accounts of UOJ males after they were caught with a prostitute. It's strange how they can participate in "the act" but they are forbidden by their religion to "speak" it. This is similar to watching charades. Officer taking the statement....Two words, first word.......face, no no...mouth? eat? ... YES....Second word... Whistle? No..no blow? YES YES!! That's it !!

He spoke English.

Last edited by NewHomeHappy; 04-27-2007 at 01:11 PM..

Old 05-01-2007, 08:09 AM

32 posts, read 167,369 times
I think people need to be aware of the different sects and subsects within orthodox Jewry itself. The ones whom you refer to as "Hassidim" are in fact not that at all. Yes, I guess you can classify the majority of Orthodox Lakewood residents as 'ultra orthodox' easily identified by their hats, beards (not always) and black and white clothing.

I am not denying that there is a problem when it comes to interaction with non-Jews and it is in large part borne out of the unfortunate history of Eastern European Jews (again of which the majority of Lakewood residents originate from). There is suspicion, fear and a sense of isolation. Read Jewish history and you'll find out why. There is also a fear of intermarriage and assimilation, a fate that has befalled the majority of the non-orthodox Jewish community in the united states.

So, basically you have to take everything in perspective.

Note, that I am not excusing any of the negative behavior in the least but some understanding, patience and tolerance may be in order. Thanks for listening.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:25 PM

91 posts, read 476,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luciusFlorio View Post
There is also a fear of intermarriage and assimilation, a fate that has befalled the majority of the non-orthodox Jewish community in the united states.
So are you saying that interfaith marriage here in the U.S. is a fateful happening?
My guess on the situation is UOJ's want to live in our beautiful country, but isolate themselves from our culture. Make their own laws. (When a UOJ gets in an accident in Lakewood, they call their Rabbi first! Not the police, Not insurance, but a Rabbi. They won't talk to the officer until a Rabbi arrives.I have witnessed this twice. Both times a UOJ man was driving like a lunatic and was clearly at fault. They call the Rabbi first, so as to get the connections rolling all the way up to influential ppl. There was a big investigation about ticket fixing a year or 2 ago.)
I truly perceive it as they think they are superior to all non UOJ ppl.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:31 AM

Default uoj?

What does the 'u' in UOJ stand for exactly?

Re: intermarriage, yes the Orthodox Jews views it as a direct threat to their very existence as a nation. The fact is that most products of such marriages do not continue the traditions and their Jewish identity becomes more and more watered down as time goes by. In all fairness, traditional catholics and other faiths have the same beliefs and fears.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciusFlorio View Post
What does the 'u' in UOJ stand for exactly?

In all fairness, traditional catholics and other faiths have the same beliefs and fears.

We do?? News to me?? LOL

U= Ultra Orthodox Jews. Since they won't speak to me, I'm really not sure what they are so I'm going by what I've been told on this thread. I thought they were hassidic? I'm really a nice person. I'm well dressed, married, polite, it's really a shame they won't reciprocate my kindness while at the shopping mall. Oh well to each his own. Too bad, their loss. LOL And to think some people wrote on the NJ thread claim that we (newjersians) are rude snobs !!! yeah right !!

Old 05-03-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
We do?? News to me?? LOL

U= Ultra Orthodox Jews. Since they won't speak to me, I'm really not sure what they are so I'm going by what I've been told on this thread. I thought they were hassidic? I'm really a nice person. I'm well dressed, married, polite, it's really a shame they won't reciprocate my kindness while at the shopping mall. Oh well to each his own. Too bad, their loss. LOL And to think some people wrote on the NJ thread claim that we (newjersians) are rude snobs !!! yeah right !!
Look, I sympathize with you more than you think. I am sure that you are a nice decent kind person, but try to understand that these are a people with a troubled history (just consider that the majority of them are descendants of Eastern European Holocaust survivors). Now imagine growing up with this mindset that all non-Jews hate and despise you and want you dead. It's highly unfortunate but it's true, that is precisely how many of them think. Besides, there is a fear of mingling with non-Jews because of assimilation fears.

Yes, traditional Catholics and other religions oppose interfaith marriage as well.

BTW, my offer to create a live forum for dialogue still stands.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:41 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,739 times
O.K. but this is too much generalizing in regard to traditional Catholics and Orthodox Jews as well. This town concerns only one subset of people and they are getting an awful lot of attention. If you are ticked off it makes more sense to focus on what happened to the town than to focus on marriage and religious beliefs. Yes you might learn something by looking into that but when people wish to stay to themselves- live and let live. It would make more sense to dissect their business practices than their religion.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:01 AM

57 posts, read 309,721 times
Unfortunately it’s all too true.
First let me say that I’m Jewish and attended orthodox yeshiva in Brooklyn as a child. I’ve studied Hebrew and torah in Lakewood as an adult. As much as I pains me to admit it, it seems that a majority of the yeshiva orthodox in Lakewood treat people who do not outwardly appear Jewish as if they are beneath contempt. My family and I have experienced the exact same thing as the previous posters. Even worse my 4 year old gets the treatment at the park and in local stores. He will ask a child his name and attempt to make friends only to be ignored. It’s heart breaking to see my friendly outgoing son being ostracized by children at the park. I was brought up to hold doors for people and most will say thank you but 100% of the time when a person is orthodox (at least in the Lakewood, Howell, and Brick area) I’m not even acknowledged.

I just wish that when a Jew puts on the uniform they would act as a light unto nations.

If you are gentile or a less then orthodox Jew, do yourself and your family a favor and don’t move to Lakewood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey