Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2007, 08:17 PM

22 posts, read 109,878 times

Advertisements

Okay, I found this thread because I did a search on "Lakewood NJ" because we just looked at a house there today. It was not by route 9 area, but more towards Bricktown by route 70.

We were thinking of putting a bid on this house, but should we be leery due to all the issues within the community?

Old 04-07-2007, 11:16 PM

16 posts, read 73,197 times
I have to agree with LawrencevilleGA ... It has nothing to do with religion, they're just rude.

My sister used to live in Toms River and she used to tell me all the time about how rude the Orthodox Jews are in the grocery stores and department stores.

So I went with her to Walmart in Lakewood one day and I was blown away ... it was like I didn't even exist. I can't tell you how many times I was hit with a shopping cart, even had my foot run over once. And not even a glance in my direction to acknowledge what just happened. If I accidentally bumped someone with a shopping cart I would bend over backwards to apologize. It was absolutely amazing!

Old 04-08-2007, 06:01 PM
bbs

1 posts, read 10,327 times
Default hasidics in howell?

DOes anyone know what it takes for hasidics to come into a communtiy? After reading these posts I'm concerned that Howell would become a hasidic community as lakewood did - it is right next door...

Old 04-08-2007, 07:57 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbs View Post
DOes anyone know what it takes for hasidics to come into a communtiy? After reading these posts I'm concerned that Howell would become a hasidic community as lakewood did - it is right next door...
I'm pretty sure a pre-requisite is that there has to be a temple within "walking distance" from their homes, so I think if that's not in place, right off the bat it's a no-go for them.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:05 PM

73 posts, read 202,256 times
Sometimes mutual non-verbal respect can work wonders.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:11 PM

Don't worry, Lakewood is one of the safest and cleanest towns in the Atlantic region. Check all th information you can online. Jews are a good community subsidary.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgfann View Post
I have to agree with LawrencevilleGA ... It has nothing to do with religion, they're just rude.

My sister used to live in Toms River and she used to tell me all the time about how rude the Orthodox Jews are in the grocery stores and department stores.

So I went with her to Walmart in Lakewood one day and I was blown away ... it was like I didn't even exist. I can't tell you how many times I was hit with a shopping cart, even had my foot run over once. And not even a glance in my direction to acknowledge what just happened. If I accidentally bumped someone with a shopping cart I would bend over backwards to apologize. It was absolutely amazing!
It's interesting to realize, I went shopping in New York City, not only was I bumped in many of the locations that i traveled in, I was also bumped on the sidewalk. Sometimes it was a man, sometimes when I turned around there were so many people there I couldn't figure it out. I came to the astounding conclusion that when places are crowded, you might be bumped into. Funny, I never noticed any Jews near me. One was Afican-American and drunk, yet I apologized to him, for getting into his way. He smiled and said, no problem. Try apologizing next time!

Old 04-16-2007, 08:07 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,739 times
Nice try but Lakewood is not crowded. It is not a big city. Many people have had this experience. I don't know what the deal is. Every group has rude members. All races, all creeds. But I have heard the "I am invisible" quote from many different people and it does not concern this one town only. My friend just blogged on her site about a recent trip to Israel where she encountered similar behavior and she is a jew. Basically a reformed jew but she thinks there is something cultural involved with certain sects. Her take was that things like not looking people in the eye was acceptable or expected. But she is still unsure as she is a complete outsider to these "sects".

Old 04-16-2007, 11:30 PM

91 posts, read 476,966 times
"Don't worry, Lakewood is one of the safest and cleanest towns in the Atlantic region"
???? Are you crazy?
Certainly it is not. It used to be, I'd say cleaner, 15 years ago. Until the takeover is complete, Lakewood will be corrupt.
The public schools are closing! What more must be said?
People in charge of Lakewood (and I'm not necc. talking about the politicians) have a master plan that started decades ago.
Unless you are an Orthodox Jew, Lakewood is not a very good place to live.
This forum is to used by many ppl from out of state. The only thing they see is lower cost real estate (in some instances) and wonder how. Jackson, Howell, Wall, many parts of Toms River are high priced. Why is this little town called Lakewood cheaper to live in, they may ask.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:42 PM

91 posts, read 476,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
It's interesting to realize, I went shopping in New York City, not only was I bumped in many of the locations that i traveled in, I was also bumped on the sidewalk. Sometimes it was a man, sometimes when I turned around there were so many people there I couldn't figure it out. I came to the astounding conclusion that when places are crowded, you might be bumped into. Funny, I never noticed any Jews near me. One was Afican-American and drunk, yet I apologized to him, for getting into his way. He smiled and said, no problem. Try apologizing next time!
Another silly post in my opinion.
Comparing a NY City street to the aisle in(dirtiest) Walmart (in America) is just plain silly.
In Walmart (Howell) and Shoprite (Lakewood) you have a near certain chance of being bumped into numerous times by a Hacid woman with her 5 or 6 kids. Do they apologize? They are not allowed to talk to me, so how can they? Not that they would.
Of course this post will prob. be deleted because how dare we bring out any negative opinions of a majority minority religion in Lakewood. It's anti-semetic!
As for them moving into Howell. Believe me when I tell you they are looking at every angle poss. to do the same that they did to Lakewood 25+ years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey