Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 08:38 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,955,550 times

Advertisements

Ok where in NJ do you work?? you don't even have to drive depending on the location where in NJ is ur work location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 8,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I live in NJ and work in NY and NOTHING gets withheld for NJ. I just file at the end of the year, complete the area for credit for taxes paid to other jurisdictions, and file the form. They only withhold NY state tax.

I have the same situation, so do you still report any taxable income on your NJ return? or is it just 0

Old 04-05-2011, 09:23 AM

46 posts, read 150,719 times
I lived in NYC all my life (moved to NJ in 2005); The NY company I worked for moved to NJ while I was still living in NY. I paid NY & NJ state taxes and so did everyone else who continued to work at the company while still living in NY. (I did get a refund from both states) The company is located in Matawan, NJ (was Middlesex County when I first arrived, but re-zoned to Monmouth 2-3 yrs later). Still paid both. Doesn't seem fair???

Old 04-05-2011, 09:26 AM

46 posts, read 150,719 times
This is strange. I dropped off my taxes yesterday and my CPA just called to inquire on one of my deductions...I asked him the question and he said "If u work in NJ and live in NY, you must file in both states" he also said I received a refund BECAUSE I filed in both states.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:36 AM

88,676 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjshah View Post
I have the same situation, so do you still report any taxable income on your NJ return? or is it just 0

Just 0, because NYS income tax is so much higher than NJ state income tax. I would have paid more than 2000 less in state tax if I worked in NJ.

It's the opposite for those who live in NY and work in NJ (we may move our offices to NJ this year, so this is coming up for the NY residents). They also file in both states, but they will owe money to NY.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC0302 View Post
This is strange. I dropped off my taxes yesterday and my CPA just called to inquire on one of my deductions...I asked him the question and he said "If u work in NJ and live in NY, you must file in both states" he also said I received a refund BECAUSE I filed in both states.
There is no question that you have to file in both states if you live in one and work in the other. You received a refund from which state? Or both? If so, you must be paying into both.

If you live in NJ and work in NY, you are not having any NJ tax withheld.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC0302 View Post
I lived in NYC all my life (moved to NJ in 2005); The NY company I worked for moved to NJ while I was still living in NY. I paid NY & NJ state taxes and so did everyone else who continued to work at the company while still living in NY. (I did get a refund from both states) The company is located in Matawan, NJ (was Middlesex County when I first arrived, but re-zoned to Monmouth 2-3 yrs later). Still paid both. Doesn't seem fair???
That's because you LIVE in the state that has the significantly higher income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: