Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 10,324 times

Advertisements

I just have to note this correction - what is posted above is incorrect. If you work in NYC, but do not live in NYC (at all! If you own a 'pied-a-terre' you are counted as at least a part-time resident of NYC), you do not pay NYC income tax.

“[T]he city personal income tax is imposed on the ‘city taxable income’ of all city residents” (Administrative Code section 11-1701).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 03:00 PM

173 posts, read 819,033 times
I wanted to correct something, too. If you work in NYC but live in NJ, you do not have to pay the New York City income tax -- which is substantial, about 3% I believe.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:04 PM

173 posts, read 819,033 times
Sorry taxusr, I just repeated what you said. I think your "pied-a-terre" comment threw me for a loop.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:51 PM

16 posts, read 112,745 times
I'll pipe up. We are moving to NJ and working in NYC and have had in confirmed by our tax consultants, KPMG, that we will not pay NYC City Tax. We will be paying NY STATE income tax, which will work as a credit to NJ taxes, so it's almost a push, give or take a few dollars.

With regard to the OP, if you live any one of the 5 boroughs of NYC, you will pay the NYC city tax, which is substantial.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 26,157 times
Default sounds very taxing

living in NY, or NJ commuting back and forth still costs an arm and a leg no matter how its done

Old 03-15-2008, 02:51 PM
jjj

168 posts, read 820,302 times
I lived in NJ and worked in NY for 32 years. A few years back, NJ residents were charged a NYC Transportation tax if you worked in NY. This was found to be illegal and was abolished. So only NY state tax was taken out of my check and that amount was fowarded to NJ to pay my NJ state income tax. Every year I recieved a NJ state tax refund due to the fact NY took more money out of my check needed to cover my NJ tax. Hope this is understandable.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:09 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,793,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjj View Post
I lived in NJ and worked in NY for 32 years. A few years back, NJ residents were charged a NYC Transportation tax if you worked in NY. This was found to be illegal and was abolished. So only NY state tax was taken out of my check and that amount was fowarded to NJ to pay my NJ state income tax. Every year I recieved a NJ state tax refund due to the fact NY took more money out of my check needed to cover my NJ tax. Hope this is understandable.
Sorry, that is not correct. New York does not "forward" your tax money to New Jersey. New York keeps the money, but you can take a credit for it on your New Jersey tax return if you are a New Jersey resident. However, you cannot take a credit for more than what your New Jersey taxes are, so you can't receive a refund from New Jersey for taxes paid to New York.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:26 AM

3 posts, read 125,440 times
Are you sure about this? I live in NY and work in NJ I get taxed as follows
NY Fed. $344.83
NJ $89.70
NY State $108.26
If this shouldn't happen do you know who i should contact? My HR says is correct. any ideas?

Old 05-27-2010, 06:37 AM

88,631 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by degiordani View Post
NY Fed. $344.83
NJ $89.70
NY State $108.26
If this shouldn't happen do you know who i should contact? My HR says is correct. any ideas?
I live in NJ and work in NY and NOTHING gets withheld for NJ. I just file at the end of the year, complete the area for credit for taxes paid to other jurisdictions, and file the form. They only withhold NY state tax.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:00 AM

53 posts, read 259,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by degiordani View Post
NY Fed. $344.83
NJ $89.70
NY State $108.26
Its not really wrong but in the end you will get a big chunk back, if not all, from NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: