Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 03:59 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Who said there was anything wrong with gambling? Who claimed it was immoral?
It's considered immoral by Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism, for one thing.
Unlike equitable trade, where all parties benefit, gambling is a scam to enrich the winner at the expense of the loser(s). And in most cases, "the house" always wins, since it uses probability and statistics to stack odds in its favor.
Anyone who pretends that gambling is "entertainment" has a warped sense. I don't know any gambler who was "entertained" by losing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2024, 04:13 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
It's considered immoral by Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism, for one thing.
Unlike equitable trade, where all parties benefit, gambling is a scam to enrich the winner at the expense of the loser(s). And in most cases, "the house" always wins, since it uses probability and statistics to stack odds in its favor.
Anyone who pretends that gambling is "entertainment" has a warped sense. I don't know any gambler who was "entertained" by losing.
I find it entertaining. I don’t play the lottery much but I like to bet on football. Not much just a few dollars here and there. Year before last I won $765 on a $35 pre-season bet (on individual games I bet $5 to $10 but last 2 years only bet futures) when the Eagles won the NFC. It makes the season more fun and gives me a reason to watch games I’d otherwise have no interest in. Last year I lost my futures bets cause they were on the Eagles again. But I don’t see how it’s different than if I went to a bar to watch a game and drank $35 worth of booze. I didn’t care, to me the money was spent once I made the bet. And I ended up winning $300 on a Superbowl square anyway.

Anyone who bets as a means to earn income is just stupid. But it can certainly be entertaining. I used to love going to the race track that used to be in Cherry Hill. I’d bet $2 a race, sometimes an extra couple dollars if there was a crazy high long shot. That was fun too, going down to the paddock to see which horse looked like they wanted to win, have some food and drink and sit outside on a nice day. It was a great date spot. End of the night I’d have lost $20 or so but spent hours being entertained.

When I was a kid I’d put a quarter on the wheel on the Wildwood boardwalk. Or win tickets at skeeball. Not much different.

We all went in at work on Mega and Powerball tix, and that was fun, too.

The fact that some bet more than they can afford or use it to try to earn income doesn’t mean it’s not entertainment for those who don’t.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 04-08-2024 at 05:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey