Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 08:23 PM

1,151 posts, read 863,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I might become a sub and just bring my laptop to class to do my real job while babysitting the students. Nice side hustle
Good luck with that cause if you think its just "babysitting" you wouldnt last a week. I suggest going on the substitute teacher Reddit forum and read all about the crap they have to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2024, 05:30 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,648,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
Good luck with that cause if you think its just "babysitting" you wouldnt last a week. I suggest going on the substitute teacher Reddit forum and read all about the crap they have to deal with.
If you’re right then things must have changed since I was a kid. Subs did nothing but sit there and hand out assignments all day.

Old 03-16-2024, 05:54 AM

Quote:
If you’re right then things must have changed since I was a kid. Subs did nothing but sit there and hand out assignments all day.
True, it was also like that when I went to school. Subs had the easiest job in the world back then. Now, behavior issues and lack of discipline and consequences, along with a lot of political BS make their jobs a lot more difficult.

Old 03-16-2024, 06:27 AM

5,161 posts, read 3,769,722 times
So now sub 50K is over paying these people. This is not 1980 FFS.

Old 03-16-2024, 05:02 PM

12,172 posts, read 8,042,307 times
Quote:
I might become a sub and just bring my laptop to class to do my real job while babysitting the students. Nice side hustle
I dont think that would be allowed lol

Old 03-19-2024, 12:36 PM

7,386 posts, read 3,546,926 times
they should get full benefits and pensions as well. After they pay their dues to the 4th branch of government, NJEA , of course.

Old 04-28-2024, 07:19 AM

361 posts, read 285,921 times
a lot of talk here about what subs should be making, and how they should receive benefits. but no one has the intention of becoming a substitute teacher as a career; so who are they? back in the day (and i'm thinking many still today) were retired or previously professionally employed people with degrees, who gave up their jobs to stay home when their children were young. is the demographic so different today?

whoever they are, whatever they're paid isn't enough to live on but these are jobs that afford people decent, supplemental income without the restrictions of full-time employment. they determine when they will work if at all, so $175 a day sounds pretty good to me. is it fun or easy? probably not, but a lot depends on the district. there is a world of difference between poorer urban cities and cushy, higher-income suburbs.

after graduating from college i moved myself into an apartment in hoboken. it was the mid-80s and i was 21 years old.
i was trying to find full-time employment (in publishing) but things were slow and i needed cash, and quick. so i became a substitute teacher. but after only four days i grew tired of being groped and handled in crowded hallways by the most disgusting little animals known to womankind. i decided this was not for me. and at only $35 a day i figured the little perverted, ill-mannered, snot-nosed psycopaths should at least be buying me dinner first. i remained poor for several more weeks but thankfully found a position soon after.

anyway, these jobs are what they are. they offer nothing other than the daily rate and frankly, nothing more should be expected other than that. there is no contractual agreement. again, they work when they want, period. they are not entitled to join the NJEA or receive benefits (as subs are not teachers). to suggest or expect otherwise is (imho) more than a little ridiculous. it is in fact, absurd.

Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateskouros View Post
a lot of talk here about what subs should be making, and how they should receive benefits. but no one has the intention of becoming a substitute teacher as a career; so who are they? back in the day (and i'm thinking many still today) were retired or previously professionally employed people with degrees, who gave up their jobs to stay home when their children were young. is the demographic so different today?

whoever they are, whatever they're paid isn't enough to live on but these are jobs that afford people decent, supplemental income without the restrictions of full-time employment. they determine when they will work if at all, so $175 a day sounds pretty good to me. is it fun or easy? probably not, but a lot depends on the district. there is a world of difference between poorer urban cities and cushy, higher-income suburbs.

after graduating from college i moved myself into an apartment in hoboken. it was the mid-80s and i was 21 years old.
i was trying to find full-time employment (in publishing) but things were slow and i needed cash, and quick. so i became a substitute teacher. but after only four days i grew tired of being groped and handled in crowded hallways by the most disgusting little animals known to womankind. i decided this was not for me. and at only $35 a day i figured the little perverted, ill-mannered, snot-nosed psycopaths should at least be buying me dinner first. i remained poor for several more weeks but thankfully found a position soon after.

anyway, these jobs are what they are. they offer nothing other than the daily rate and frankly, nothing more should be expected other than that. there is no contractual agreement. again, they work when they want, period. they are not entitled to join the NJEA or receive benefits (as subs are not teachers). to suggest or expect otherwise is (imho) more than a little ridiculous. it is in fact, absurd.
Why shouldn't they receive benefits? They are school employees and without them, there would not be enough adults to supervise the students and run a school properly. In my opinion, it is a much more respected job than working in McDonalds or a cashier at Walmart (yet many of those jobs provide benefits). I think EVERY school employee should be treated with the highest respect considering what they have to deal with in today's education climate and be paid way above min wage with benefits. It is nice to see some districts like Maplewood are finally realizing this. No, this should not cause tax increases if they weed out all the wasted admins such as County Superintendants and Asst Superintendants. In fact if many smaller school districts were merged, taxes should be lowered hypothetically speaking if it wasnt for all the corruption in this state.

Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM

50,837 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
$175 for working 5-6 hours and putting in a video tape (no idea what they use now-a-days), many people would be jumping at that.
Where are you getting 5-6 hours from? They start before the kids get there, and they stay after the kids leave. At minimum it’s 7 hours, and that works out to about the same pay as an Amazon warehouse.

If it’s a long term sub or one covering several weeks they have many of the duties as the teacher and can’t just play a video. They follow the curriculum left by the classroom teacher.

Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM

10,497 posts, read 7,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Where are you getting 5-6 hours from? They start before the kids get there, and they stay after the kids leave. At minimum it’s 7 hours, and that works out to about the same pay as an Amazon warehouse.

If it’s a long term sub or one covering several weeks they have many of the duties as the teacher and can’t just play a video. They follow the curriculum left by the classroom teacher.
A school day is about 6.5 hours plus breaks, so they are working about 5 - 5.5 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: