Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 08:17 AM

20,100 posts, read 9,006,146 times

Advertisements

actually it's about raising revenue for the state. Everything is being considered to increase revenue. It's only a matter of time before bicycles will need to be registered and taxed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2024, 08:59 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,653,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
They are and it's about responsibility.
I agree. Roads are just getting too crowed. Why should car/truck drivers be the sole ones paying to use the roads and making them be registered and pay insurance is a terrific idea . Example in DC a Bicyclist was in the bike lane but decided he wanted to cut through and past some slow pokes ahead of him and cut in front of a car surprising the driver and they in turn swerved and hit another car, all caught on a dash came yet no way of catching or reporting him. I agree it's about responsibility and about time it was done.

Old 02-20-2024, 10:28 AM

10,442 posts, read 6,969,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
actually it's about raising revenue for the state. Everything is being considered to increase revenue. It's only a matter of time before bicycles will need to be registered and taxed.
Actually i'd be all for this. Road cyclists think they own the road and way too much road is given to them. They are paying zero in taxes for the roads in place and upkeep. I'd be happy if they charged even more for the c02 they exhale contributing to global warming.

Old 02-20-2024, 10:34 AM

6,700 posts, read 5,928,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I agree. Roads are just getting too crowed. Why should car/truck drivers be the sole ones paying to use the roads and making them be registered and pay insurance is a terrific idea . Example in DC a Bicyclist was in the bike lane but decided he wanted to cut through and past some slow pokes ahead of him and cut in front of a car surprising the driver and they in turn swerved and hit another car, all caught on a dash came yet no way of catching or reporting him. I agree it's about responsibility and about time it was done.
I agree cyclists & scooter riders should ride responsibly, but how does a tax help? Will they have to take a road safety class or something?

I think we should be encouraging bikes and scooters, not taxing them. Also, bike lanes on most of the major and minor roads will in the long term reduce the road congestion.

Of course, so would an efficient mass-transit system that includes buses, light rail, and inter-city high speed rail. None of which, our country has demonstrated an ability to execute efficiently and affordably.

Old 02-20-2024, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I agree cyclists & scooter riders should ride responsibly, but how does a tax help? Will they have to take a road safety class or something?

I think we should be encouraging bikes and scooters, not taxing them. Also, bike lanes on most of the major and minor roads will in the long term reduce the road congestion.

Of course, so would an efficient mass-transit system that includes buses, light rail, and inter-city high speed rail. None of which, our country has demonstrated an ability to execute efficiently and affordably.
NJ doesn't have the infrastructure nor the climate for it. We get ~50 days a year where temps are greater than 65 degrees and sunny. Accidents that are going to happen, will be costly and raise insurance rates for drivers.

Old 02-20-2024, 10:43 AM

6,700 posts, read 5,928,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
NJ doesn't have the infrastructure nor the climate for it. We get ~50 days a year where temps are greater than 65 degrees and sunny. Accidents that are going to happen, will be costly and raise insurance rates for drivers.
Cyclists can and do bundle up for cold weather!

Old 02-20-2024, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Most likely for those who not at fault. That is exactly why it needs to be done.

Old 02-20-2024, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Cyclists can and do bundle up for cold weather!
Yup.

Old 02-20-2024, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Most likely for those who not at fault. That is exactly why it needs to be done.
Its always the drivers faults in pedestrian accidents.

Old 02-20-2024, 05:36 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times
Quote:
Actually i'd be all for this. Road cyclists think they own the road and way too much road is given to them. They are paying zero in taxes for the roads in place and upkeep. I'd be happy if they charged even more for the c02 they exhale contributing to global warming.
Cyclists pay taxes. If you're referring to gasoline tax, that doesn't cover even half the cost of building and maintaining roads in NJ.

And the wear and tear a bicycle puts on a road versus a 5,000-lb SUV are night and day. A Chevy Tahoe causes 59,500 times as much damage to a road than a fat man on a bike. So sure, charge a cyclist a tax of 0.0006 cents per year, or we can just round it to zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey