Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 04:59 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,689,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
What the kid's got only Dartmouth or (horrors) Brown potential?
I see what you did there! What about Columbia? I realize UoP and Cornell don't count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2024, 06:25 AM

23,584 posts, read 17,262,317 times
According to the NJEA all schools under their guidance are equal. Matters not which one you choose. It is staffed with teachers who are also equal in ability and talent, the ones on the job longer, are always considered the best of the best.

Once in a while a brilliant kid comes along, and the EDU juggernaut takes the credit for the student's success.
Public EDU mines the students for shiny gold nuggets and discards the gold hidden in the pay dirt they brush off as chaff.

Don;t just rely on EDU to motivate your kid, open their eyes to unimaginable possibilities not provided by schools.

Old 02-04-2024, 08:35 AM

10,224 posts, read 19,234,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I see what you did there! What about Columbia? I realize UoP and Cornell don't count.
For some reason the rankings of the Ivys changes a lot, though HYP are always at the top (though not always in that order).

Anyway, for the OP... you have to consider what the point of going to an Ivy League school is. If the kid's looking for the big time -- Big Law (seems unlikely with a math interest), Big Finance, the sort of places which only hire from prestigious schools -- maybe it's worth moving to increase the chances of winning that insane tournament. Otherwise, almost certainly not.

Old 02-04-2024, 05:56 PM

Quote:
For some reason the rankings of the Ivys changes a lot, though HYP are always at the top (though not always in that order).

Anyway, for the OP... you have to consider what the point of going to an Ivy League school is. If the kid's looking for the big time -- Big Law (seems unlikely with a math interest), Big Finance, the sort of places which only hire from prestigious schools -- maybe it's worth moving to increase the chances of winning that insane tournament. Otherwise, almost certainly not.
AS I said the OP child is in the 8th grade, things can change in 4 years.

Old 02-04-2024, 10:37 PM

10,512 posts, read 7,042,290 times
Quote:

Assuming math is in order maybe MIT. Sadly, a large chunk of Ivy league considerations are who the parents are, if they have Ivy league roots, and what they can do for the university. The Ivy league world is a meeting ground for the elites, and their offsprings to keep old money in the system for the next generation.

Old 02-05-2024, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Assuming math is in order maybe MIT. Sadly, a large chunk of Ivy league considerations are who the parents are, if they have Ivy league roots, and what they can do for the university. The Ivy league world is a meeting ground for the elites, and their offsprings to keep old money in the system for the next generation.
No it isn't, not today maybe in the 70's , please perpetuate the myth anyway.

Old 02-05-2024, 06:17 AM

Quote:
No it isn't, not today maybe in the 70's , please perpetuate the myth anyway.
Its called being a "Legacy Student" and its part of the factorial process for admissions in 2024.

Old 02-05-2024, 08:52 AM

163 posts, read 131,887 times
I did my undergrad at an Ivy about 20 years ago and was surrounded by extremely hard working, ambitious students. Most came from upper middle class families and it was nothing like the alleged power brokering system people speak of. The name helped me on my resume for a few years. Anyway, although it was a great school and I got a solid education, it is not worth the extreme lengths kids and parents are going to these days. You can't convince them, though. For so many kids and parents in NJ, getting the "name" is an obsession. Just look around... in every great public school and private school from VA to MA, so many kids are gunning for the same spots at these schools. So many spots are allocated to athletes, orchestra members, etc. that the number of spots available for kids applying on academic merit is about 50% of the total. The acceptance rate is really about half of what is published for those types. I went at a time when acceptance was twice as likely as it is now. I still felt like I won the lottery then, I truly believe there was a lot of luck needed (although I had the grades and stats to qualify). My 2c. We have so many amazing public universities that will serve you extremely well. You can have a healthy childhood and still achieve everything, save for becoming a supreme court clerk.

Old 02-05-2024, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Its called being a "Legacy Student" and its part of the factorial process for admissions in 2024.
You really shouldn't get involved in things you don't understand ,

You sad"Sadly, a large chunk of Ivy league considerations are who the parents are, if they have Ivy league roots, and what they can do for the university. The Ivy league world is a meeting ground for the elites, and their offsprings to keep old money in the system for the next generation."

Asking if your parents attend the school is a question at all most all colleges, the rest of your statement is your bias assumption lacking facts.

Old 02-05-2024, 02:29 PM

Quote:
You really shouldn't get involved in things you don't understand ,

You sad"Sadly, a large chunk of Ivy league considerations are who the parents are, if they have Ivy league roots, and what they can do for the university. The Ivy league world is a meeting ground for the elites, and their offsprings to keep old money in the system for the next generation."

Asking if your parents attend the school is a question at all most all colleges, the rest of your statement is your bias assumption lacking facts.
You're the one commenting on things you don't understand, like you normally do. Old money goes to the same private schools, they go to potted Ivy League schools, many get admissions on sports you probably never heard of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey