Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 07:45 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,634,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
NYC is not a ghost town.

Nobody goes there anymore, it’s too crowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2023, 08:48 AM

19,120 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Nobody goes there anymore, it’s too crowded.
Similarly, according to one forum member, "everyone is leaving NJ".
This makes one wonder why/how the multitudes of new apartment and condo complexes seem to be completely filled, shortly after construction is completed.

Old 10-24-2023, 08:51 AM

36 posts, read 27,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Predicted an existential threat would accompany the rationale for the tunnel.

NYC is a ghost town considering the 'boonies' are flooded with NYC refugees paying over half a mill for 200K$ houses along with a flood of sun blocking condos and apartments flush with NY residents escaping the former big apple. Work at home is the new normal.

Choices determine the quality of life, don;t want to sit in traffic find a job elsewhere vs ripping taxpayers and enriching the political class and their financial supporters.

On one hand, if a new tunnel is really needed, I'd be fine with it. The stick in the mud is the accompanying fraud, graft and waste, which the powers that be happily tolerate.

Precedent has been set, and a jaundiced eye is a requirement when viewing any infrastructure project.

Especially in a one party state like NJ!

Ghost town? How often do you go into the city? I work there every day and its just as crowded as it ever was. I miss when the pandemic shut everything down and it took 10 minutes to cross town instead of an hour. Stop with the Fox News bullet points already, Manhattan is crowded and busy as hell.

Old 10-24-2023, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReddington View Post
Ghost town? How often do you go into the city? I work there every day and its just as crowded as it ever was. I miss when the pandemic shut everything down and it took 10 minutes to cross town instead of an hour. Stop with the Fox News bullet points already, Manhattan is crowded and busy as hell.
Yup!
Ridership on NYC's subways is back to 4 million+ passengers per day. That would seem to be a lot of human activity in a "ghost town".

But, you have to excuse him because someone who doesn't know that a US Senator is elected on a state-wide basis, and thus, his "district" cannot be Gerrymandered is also not likely to be up-to-speed on other issues. And, am I the only one who recalls his condemnation of "US aid to the nation of Puerto Rico", following Hurricane Ida, in 2017? Even my 8th grade Civics students knew that Puerto Rico is part of The US.

Old 10-24-2023, 11:19 AM

88,547 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
If the existing tunnels are that dangerous why not shut them down??????
Incomprehensible safety is not a concern, if prayers are required for safe passage.

Still, the cost estimate and time to complete is a bait and switch and no one ever loses their job and no politician ever mentions the probable cost overruns. At least a range should be given.

I'm sure the big dig and CA light rail had some existential rationale attached to sell the project.
Well, apparently enough in-the-meantime fixes and regular inspections are being done that they those in charge of maintenance don't really expect that they'll fail at any minute, or they would shut them down. But just shutting them down when it's not yet dire enough and affecting the 200,000 people on the 400 trains that go through them every day would cause a problem.

Do you think that tunnels built more than 100 years ago are going to last forever? Now is the time to start doing something, before there is a catastrophe.

While, yes, there will always be cost overruns, and yes, no politician is ever going to pipe up and say it's probably going to cost more than what we estimate now, which is reality, it's also truth that there's no possible way to anticipate exactly what problems will arise during a project of this magnitude. Just a guarantee that they will.

Old 10-24-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
NYC is not a ghost town.
LMAO, not at all. I am there for work a couple of times a week. Definitely not a ghost town, haven't gotten mugged walking in the evening/8 pm across midtown to Penn, either, despite the eagerness of some to make the city sound like a free-for-all crime spree. People are out having dinner, drinks, shopping. Looks like pre-COVID.

Downtown near our offices, the tour groups are trotting along the sidewalks. Fewer food places are open, a result of the pandemic, but since I returned a few months ago, I see new places opening.

And one of the organizations whose events I attend lost their regular venue and has had a hard time finding a new place to hold the monthly meetings. Last week's was in some out-of-the way Latino club off 11th avenue in the 40s, really not a cool spot given that the attendees we do the bulk of our work in the public transportation industry and there were no public transit facilities nearby. They were just stuck because all the other places were booked, and not by ghosts.

Old 10-24-2023, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Do you think that tunnels built more than 100 years ago are going to last forever? Now is the time to start doing something, before there is a catastrophe.
... and then, if one of those old, crumbling tunnels did suffer a catastrophic collapse, that same person would likely be posting that the politicians should have done something to prevent it from happening.

Old 10-24-2023, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
... and then, if one of those old, crumbling tunnels did suffer a catastrophic collapse, that same person would likely be posting that the politicians should have done something to prevent it from happening.
Of course. There is always that set of of people who simply live to complain and have zero interest in learning anything about the world around them. But I still post because I know there are other, more curious and intelligent people out there who read and don't comment who might like the information.

Old 10-25-2023, 07:17 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, apparently enough in-the-meantime fixes and regular inspections are being done that they those in charge of maintenance don't really expect that they'll fail at any minute, or they would shut them down. But just shutting them down when it's not yet dire enough and affecting the 200,000 people on the 400 trains that go through them every day would cause a problem.

While, yes, there will always be cost overruns, and yes, no politician is ever going to pipe up and say it's probably going to cost more than what we estimate now, which is reality, it's also truth that there's no possible way to anticipate exactly what problems will arise during a project of this magnitude. Just a guarantee that they will.
Hmm i wonder if we work in the same area, I work off the 4/5 train in very Lower Manhattan for Infrastructure related Planning.

Anyway, I agre with what you said in prior posts. New York is not dead. Its very busy. Only difference, is its not 24/7 anymore, and restaurants are less than prior to pandemic for obvious reasons.

The only negative of NYC, is I feel it feels like any other big US City now… just bigger, obviously. Which would work against Fox news points as I am the first to dismiss “crime ridden” “dirty” and “nobody goes here” posts.

Old 10-25-2023, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Hmm i wonder if we work in the same area, I work off the 4/5 train in very Lower Manhattan for Infrastructure related Planning.

Anyway, I agre with what you said in prior posts. New York is not dead. Its very busy. Only difference, is its not 24/7 anymore, and restaurants are less than prior to pandemic for obvious reasons.

The only negative of NYC, is I feel it feels like any other big US City now… just bigger, obviously. Which would work against Fox news points as I am the first to dismiss “crime ridden” “dirty” and “nobody goes here” posts.
Sounds like it. Greenwich Street, south of the WTC. We were on Broadway not far from the bull and relocated earlier this year.

It's where I worked most of my life except for the earliest days, when I worked on 42nd St. I was in the original One WTC for twenty years, then in the immediate aftermath after the buildings went down, I was in Jersey City, then in the Flatiron District for about seven years, then I returned to the WTC area to work on the rebuilding of the PATH Hub, then back to JC to work on other projects, then for the last year before I retired, we went into Four WTC/150 Greenwich.

I was away up in Ontario for a couple of years, but now I'm back working PT. So, most of my NYC working life has been in lower Manhattan.

There's certainly a lot going on in the infrastructure world in NYC right now.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-25-2023 at 08:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey