Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2023, 09:24 AM

1,142 posts, read 857,406 times

Advertisements

I have a sister who lives in Union Beach, and you can absolutely see the Coney Island ferris wheel across the bay, diagonally to the right on very clear days. Hence Coney Island is actually a "Bay Beach", and the bay closest to Coney is called the Lower Bay, but it changes names to the Raritan Bay on the Southwest NJ side (and is not the Atlantic Ocean). Southeast of the Lower Bay turns into Sandy Hook Bay on the NJ side. I cannot believe how many people I have come across who falsely thought Coney faced the Atllantic Ocean. Another NJ town across from Coney on a diagonal would be Keansburg. From the ocean side of Sandy Hook, if you look to the far Left (north), you could also see Coney on a clear day.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2023, 09:31 AM

1,142 posts, read 857,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelOrear View Post
Hello, in NYC Coney Island, you can see a faint outline of the Jersey Coast and at night some light from that area:

Two questions:

1. What area of New Jersey is directly across from the Coney Island area?

2. Can you see Coney Island from that area/ If so, how faint is the outline? Can you see landmarks like the parachute tower or Ferris Wheel?

Thanks
To be more specific from Coney Island perspective, if you look straight out, you are most likely looking at Sandy Hook. If you look for land a little further to the distance (diagonally to the right) you are lookimg at Belford, Keamsburg, and Union Beach NJ. If you look directly to the right, you are seeing Midland Beach in Staten Island.

Old 10-10-2023, 07:24 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
I have a sister who lives in Union Beach, and you can absolutely see the Coney Island ferris wheel across the bay, diagonally to the right on very clear days. Hence Coney Island is actually a "Bay Beach", and the bay closest to Coney is called the Lower Bay, but it changes names to the Raritan Bay on the Southwest NJ side (and is not the Atlantic Ocean). Southeast of the Lower Bay turns into Sandy Hook Bay on the NJ side. I cannot believe how many people I have come across who falsely thought Coney faced the Atllantic Ocean. Another NJ town across from Coney on a diagonal would be Keansburg. From the ocean side of Sandy Hook, if you look to the far Left (north), you could also see Coney on a clear day.
This makes total sense.

Old 10-10-2023, 06:17 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
I can see NJ from Rockaway so I assume anyone can see Rockaway from NJ. Is that Gateway National Park?

Old 10-11-2023, 09:46 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I can see NJ from Rockaway so I assume anyone can see Rockaway from NJ. Is that Gateway National Park?
What do you see? I see buildings in what I think is Rockaway Beach from Long Branch, which is just south of Sandy Hook (where Gateway National Park is, but people here just say Sandy Hook.) I don't see a Ferris wheel, though.

Old 10-16-2023, 06:05 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
If you are in Coney Island, the Rockaways or even Jones Beach, and you are looking at New Jersey and see green hilly areas, you are probably looking at Monmouth County, the hilly areas near the Raritan Bay shore get over 200 feet. Monmouth County is at the northern end of the Jersey Shore. If you see sandy beaches, you are probably looking at Sandy Hook.

So, you are actually looking at the Jersey Shore, which goes on for almost 150 miles. And from here at the northern end of the Jersey Shore, you can see NYC and Long Island. And the boundaries of Long Island go all the way East deep into almost New England just a few miles from where Connecticut and Rhode Island meet. Pretty neat huh?

Sandy Hook is part of the Gateway National Recreation Area. Interestingly, all 4 counties that contain Gateway can see each other from the shoreline - Queens, Monmouth, Staten Island and Brooklyn.

However, keep in mind if you are in Coney Island and you are looking all the way to the right, you may be looking at Staten Island, where the hills actually reach over 400 feet at one point. New Jersey is more to the south/southeast of Coney Island.

Old 10-19-2023, 08:41 AM

116 posts, read 234,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know, hilarious. Coney Island is not a place that ever crosses my mind.

But, I can see faint, somewhat tall buildings across the water from the beach in Long Branch. I have looked on a map and at photos, and I am pretty sure it is Rockaway Beach.
I can easily see Rockaway Beach / Riis park from Sandy Hook. As a former Queens guy who spent every wekeend at Riis park I used to see Sandy Hook and mistakenly thought that was Staten Island. When I first went to Sandy Hook, I spotted Riis immediately. You can see the City in the background and the Gil Hodges Marine parkway bridge connecting to mainland Brooklyn and Belt Parkway.

Old 10-19-2023, 11:57 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What do you see? I see buildings in what I think is Rockaway Beach from Long Branch, which is just south of Sandy Hook (where Gateway National Park is, but people here just say Sandy Hook.) I don't see a Ferris wheel, though.
Then I'm coming to your place next 4th of July to watch the Hot Dog contest and Joey Chestnut!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey