Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2023, 01:42 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Hey, when I was younger, my now-exh and his friends would occasionally go out for bluefish in the early morning, drink all day, catch some fish. I haven't known anyone who does this for years.

I liked bluefish. I know a lot of people don't because they are oily and have a strong flavor, but cooked with onions they are pretty good. Haven't had it in years, though.

Is there anywhere to buy bluefish, or do you just have to know somebody who goes out? I think I want to try some again, and hey, I live near the Jersey shore. It seems to me there must be a place.

Old 09-29-2023, 03:01 PM

182 posts, read 136,420 times
Every once in awhile, Spike’s in Point has bluefish.

It’s not very popular, so call first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_J View Post
Every once in awhile, Spike’s in Point has bluefish.

It’s not very popular, so call first.
Thanks!

ETA: Just looked them up. Never heard of them (Point's about half an hour away, but I eat at Spano's occasionally so I do go there). Looks like a great place to buy fish and get cooked food, too. I am going to have to check it out.

Old 09-29-2023, 03:32 PM

19,122 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hey, when I was younger, my now-exh and his friends would occasionally go out for bluefish in the early morning, drink all day, catch some fish. I haven't known anyone who does this for years.

I liked bluefish. I know a lot of people don't because they are oily and have a strong flavor, but cooked with onions they are pretty good. Haven't had it in years, though.

Is there anywhere to buy bluefish, or do you just have to know somebody who goes out? I think I want to try some again, and hey, I live near the Jersey shore. It seems to me there must be a place.
While I haven't been there for a few years, the Belford Fishery folks always seemed to have Bluefish when I went there. IIRC, Belford can't be very far from your current abode. And, over and above Bluefish, they almost always seemed to have GIANT NJ Sea Scallops, which are what I usually chose to buy.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/belford-seafood-co-op-belford

Old 09-29-2023, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
While I haven't been there for a few years, the Belford Fishery folks always seemed to have Bluefish when I went there. IIRC, Belford can't be very far from your current abode. And, over and above Bluefish, they almost always seemed to have GIANT NJ Sea Scallops, which are what I usually chose to buy.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/belford-seafood-co-op-belford
Not far away at all. Maybe 20 - 25 minutes. I don't know that place, but I just looked it up. It's in Port Monmouth, which I understand is experiencing flooding today.

I am going to check that place out! No website, but a FB page.

I may have to pack my Sharpie to cross out apostrophes:

Our Frozen Item's
1/2 lb. Tuna Steak's 15.99lb.
1/2 lb. Swordfish Steak's 13.99lb.
Cleaned 2lb. Octopus 9.00lb.
Snowcrab Legs 17.99lb.
Lobster Tail's 4oz.or8oz. 39.00lb.
Crab Cake's 2.00 Each
5lb. 16/20 Shrimp 50.00
Squid 2 1/2 lb. Cleaned 20.00
Thank You Have A Nice Day

Old 09-29-2023, 05:07 PM

19,122 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Quote:
I may have to pack my Sharpie to cross out apostrophes:
And, remember if you don't like the reality of the weather maps, you can use your Sharpie in order to "correct" those maps. It's been done on national TV... albeit without any actual success at convincing people.

Old 09-29-2023, 05:10 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,951,921 times
Go catch some! It’s so easy.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-29-2023, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Go catch some! It’s so easy.
I went on a boat and caught some once years ago!

But...no boat, no rod, and no one to go with or show me what to do, alas.

Old 09-29-2023, 05:47 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,951,921 times
Hmm maybe we can plan something. I haven’t fished off the beach in awhile but I have everything. I’ve been considering trying out on Cliffwood Beach.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-29-2023, 07:53 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:

I love bluefish when we are on the east coast.

I like it grilled. Can't ever find it anywhere near us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey