Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 12:52 AM

9,009 posts, read 13,849,341 times

Advertisements

My cat was in my backyard on my stoop on my fenced property. On Sunday morning,Two pit bulls (I assume got loose) and were terrorizing the neighborhood. I do not know where the owners live on my block. All I know is that the dogs chewed through my neighbor's gate and killed my cat. I was at work when it happened. The police officer took my dead cat and the two pits to the animal shelter.

I spoke with my neighbor two doors down and she said the dogs were trying to get into her house. She showed me where they chewed through her fence. The dogs were able to get into her backyard because she left her backyard door open. But the dogs chewed her fence to get to the neighbors fence.

I was told by the worker at the animal shelter that they cannot give me the owner's information. They also stated to me that they cannot tell me if the dogs will be euthanized or not.

I always thought if dogs killed an animal or human that they were euthanized automatically?

I just want those pits to not hurt any other animal or worse,a human.

Not only that,but I need for the owner to pay for my fence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2023, 10:08 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,681,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
My cat was in my backyard on my stoop on my fenced property. On Sunday morning,Two pit bulls (I assume got loose) and were terrorizing the neighborhood. I do not know where the owners live on my block. All I know is that the dogs chewed through my neighbor's gate and killed my cat. I was at work when it happened. The police officer took my dead cat and the two pits to the animal shelter.

I spoke with my neighbor two doors down and she said the dogs were trying to get into her house. She showed me where they chewed through her fence. The dogs were able to get into her backyard because she left her backyard door open. But the dogs chewed her fence to get to the neighbors fence.

I was told by the worker at the animal shelter that they cannot give me the owner's information. They also stated to me that they cannot tell me if the dogs will be euthanized or not.

I always thought if dogs killed an animal or human that they were euthanized automatically?

Sorry for you loss. If the Police have your Cat and the two Dogs then what makes you think they won't put them down?

Old 09-26-2023, 12:08 PM

10,500 posts, read 7,026,221 times
Assuming the police report will have the details and you can press charges if you want. The animal shelter is just a neutral party, so don't expect them to share information. There is a thing called the the Vicious and Potentially Dangerous Dog Act, where the municipal court can decide to put a Pitbull down. Amazing that they are even legal pets, their owners are likely awful or stupidly naïve humans.

Old 09-26-2023, 09:29 PM

2,913 posts, read 1,362,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

Used to be true, but we've become a dog worshiping society lately. Dangerous behaviors that used to mean a trip to the vets for BE are excused these days.

Note: I say that as someone who loves dogs.

Old 09-27-2023, 06:29 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,603,038 times
Definitely if it killed a person but not if it killed an animal. Dogs were bred to hunt, especially small game. There's no reason to kill a dog because it killed a small animal. Sorry about your cat, but that's the dog owner's responsibility.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 09-27-2023, 08:41 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,681,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Definitely if it killed a person but not if it killed an animal. Dogs were bred to hunt, especially small game. There's no reason to kill a dog because it killed a small animal. Sorry about your cat, but that's the dog owner's responsibility.
If I can add, many area's (towns etc.) have ordinances against Pit Bulls you might want to check if they were legal and license.

Old 09-27-2023, 11:23 AM

7,165 posts, read 4,562,630 times
I am sorry about your cat. When I owned a house I never had a doggie door for my Maltese because they are small and some big dogs see them as prey. I don’t think the dogs should be killed unless they attacked a person.

Old 09-27-2023, 11:48 AM

903 posts, read 584,214 times
You can sue the owner for the damage to the fence and for the loss of the cat.

As others have said, there may be ordinances in place prohibiting the pits. There are likely leash laws that were broken.

So sorry for your loss. Yes, dogs can be natural hunters, but then they shouldn't be running loose.

Overtime, if enough violations occur, euthanization could happen.

cd : O)

Old 09-27-2023, 11:50 AM

This hit the news today about a lawsuit against a Pitbull owner. An 18-month year old was attacked in the face by one and significantly injured while at a town-wide garage sale.

https://www.nj.com/morris/2023/09/pi...suit-says.html

Old 09-27-2023, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
Used to be true, but we've become a dog worshiping society lately. Dangerous behaviors that used to mean a trip to the vets for BE are excused these days.

Note: I say that as someone who loves dogs.
There was certainly a puppy bubble during Covid, and I wound up getting my first dog during covid time too. California is lightyears ahead in being dog-friendly in public verses NJ. Some dog breeds are great around humans and to bring into public, other dog breeds are not. Unfortunately, some owners do not understand their breeds, and think its okay to bring a hunting, working, and security dogs into the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey