Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 12:19 PM

17,616 posts, read 15,317,330 times

Advertisements

I had a nephew attacked by two pit bulls when he was about 7. They ate through a fence to get to him..

Those dogs were euthanized by Virginia, because they attacked a human. They will euthanize the animals if they attack (Not necessarily kill) a person, but not another animal. or, at least, it's not automatic.

I talked to him at the service for his mother back in May and we talked about this a bit.. Just asking him if he had any lingering issues from it.. He didn't.. But he did mention how he thought sitting in court when he was 7 and was awarded a quarter million dollars that he was king of the world.. lol.. He's.. 28 or so now.

Of course.. The last we heard, the pothead who owned the dogs worked at McDonalds. So.. Needless to say.. He's seen exactly bupkis of that $250k

I told him to think positive.. Maybe the guy would hit a $250k scratcher in the lottery.. Which Virginia would seize to provide to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2023, 01:18 PM

4,176 posts, read 2,580,215 times
A couple years ago when I lived in small town Union, Oregon the La Grande newspaper ran a story about the animal control people. They related that in Union some family owned a pitbull that contiunually got out, and roamed the area. It had killed 7 cats owned by 3 different households. I was shocked to read that it wasn't reason enough to put that dog down.

I was glad I always keep my cat inside for her own protection. Just one more reason of many to keep them housecats. They don't need to go outside, and will live much longer.

Old 09-27-2023, 01:30 PM

10,512 posts, read 7,046,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I had a nephew attacked by two pit bulls when he was about 7. They ate through a fence to get to him..

Those dogs were euthanized by Virginia, because they attacked a human. They will euthanize the animals if they attack (Not necessarily kill) a person, but not another animal. or, at least, it's not automatic.

I talked to him at the service for his mother back in May and we talked about this a bit.. Just asking him if he had any lingering issues from it.. He didn't.. But he did mention how he thought sitting in court when he was 7 and was awarded a quarter million dollars that he was king of the world.. lol.. He's.. 28 or so now.

Of course.. The last we heard, the pothead who owned the dogs worked at McDonalds. So.. Needless to say.. He's seen exactly bupkis of that $250k

Story 1:
I told him to think positive.. Maybe the guy would hit a $250k scratcher in the lottery.. Which Virginia would seize to provide to him.
Had a similar issue when I was 7. Playing on the monkey bars in a park, a guy was playing frisbee with a German Shepherd that decided to attack me. The German Shepherd pulled me off the bars and mauled my back. Wound up taking a trip on an ambulance and receiving 3 dozen stitches, and almost 20 years of fear of deathly being afraid of dogs.

I was too young and never told/or asked what happened in court. My father went to court a couple times for it, he was trying to recover money for the hospital bills. Unfortunately, it was a poor young guy with no insurance or assets. I remember it being discussed what happened to the the dog, and it was a don't ask/don't tell with my parents situation.

Story 2:
In college, I had a summer roommate during my internship. This guy had an awful Pitbull that he didn't exercise or take-care of, and the dog just sat in a gated off dining room 24/7. I felt bad for the dog, and put it in the fenced backyard, tied up. In the hour I was gone, the dog bit through the rope/leash, broke through the fence and attacked someones dog giving them an animal hospital visit. We had a police report made, however I don't recall the owner ever being sued or followed up with after the attack.

Old 09-28-2023, 01:44 AM

9,011 posts, read 13,855,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
A couple years ago when I lived in small town Union, Oregon the La Grande newspaper ran a story about the animal control people. They related that in Union some family owned a pitbull that contiunually got out, and roamed the area. It had killed 7 cats owned by 3 different households. I was shocked to read that it wasn't reason enough to put that dog down.

I was glad I always keep my cat inside for her own protection. Just one more reason of many to keep them housecats. They don't need to go outside, and will live much longer.

He is a housecat but always itches to go outside. We had many talks,of course he does not listen.
He snuck out when I was leaving for work the night before. As soon as i opened the door to get into my car...he was out.

Old 10-02-2023, 04:53 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,203,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
My cat was in my backyard on my stoop on my fenced property. On Sunday morning,Two pit bulls (I assume got loose) and were terrorizing the neighborhood. I do not know where the owners live on my block. All I know is that the dogs chewed through my neighbor's gate and killed my cat. I was at work when it happened. The police officer took my dead cat and the two pits to the animal shelter.

I spoke with my neighbor two doors down and she said the dogs were trying to get into her house. She showed me where they chewed through her fence. The dogs were able to get into her backyard because she left her backyard door open. But the dogs chewed her fence to get to the neighbors fence.

I was told by the worker at the animal shelter that they cannot give me the owner's information. They also stated to me that they cannot tell me if the dogs will be euthanized or not.

I always thought if dogs killed an animal or human that they were euthanized automatically?

I just want those pits to not hurt any other animal or worse,a human.

Not only that,but I need for the owner to pay for my fence.
I am sorry for your loss. It wasn't right that they got loose and ran through the neighborhood like that. I hope you keep your cats indoors from now on after this. I truly do not believe it is safe to allow cats outside anymore and I will never trust a pet door. I would go to the Police and ask for a copy of the Police report and see if they found out who the owners are. Also I would check with the Health Department and try to find out if the dogs were tested for rabies. I know the breed was bred to kill but even this is nuts that they were chewing the fence and trying to get into the home and yard and killing any animal is no excuse because someone owned them so all that talk about it's natural to kill another small animal doesn't fly with me.

If this happened in the midwest they would have been shot dead, period end of threat and danger.

Old 10-02-2023, 05:02 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,203,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Why isn't he forced to may payments of at least $1K a month or somewhere between that amount. I would push for payments. He has to be getting something even if it's unemployment checks, SS or government assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey