Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2023, 10:26 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
That's a pretty drastic move, uprooted your entire life. People do it all the time, and I anecdotally see it rarely work out. Your friend should have bought a cabin, or something small if they wanted to make the huge jump.

As for healthcare its not usually a priority until you need it. Hopefully most people wont need it.
1) All people , all, will need healthcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2023, 10:55 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
1) All people , all, will need healthcare.
Yes, eventually, we all will! I think if we make plans to move anywhere, there should be a subsequent idea in the back of our heads as to where we will land when it become too difficult to stay in a remote area, if that's what we chose.

Old 09-17-2023, 11:28 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Sorry for your loss @Mightyqueen

Old 09-17-2023, 12:28 PM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Medical is why I don't want to leave. I can easily get to Philadelphia if needed. My hub wants Florida, won't catch me moving there.
Remember with all the older people there is plenty of medical care in Flariduh!

Old 09-17-2023, 12:33 PM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I could see how that would make you think. Here in Jersey, we have a choice of hospitals, urgent cares, and so forth. You can't throw a stone without hitting one.

The thing is, my bf had had a heart attack ten years ago or earlier, so his previous gf, with whom he had moved to the lake house, had insisted on having a hospital nearby out of fear that he would have another heart attack. Then she left because she was a city girl who got a taste of what winter in the Ontario lake country boonies was really like lol.

In the end, a rare disease that had nothing to do with his heart killed him anyway, and he lived most of his last decade in the environment he loved. One of his neighbors up there now has bone marrow cancer, and he travels once a week to a city 90 minutes away for chemo. They used to spend four months of the winter in Florida, but that's out of the question now.

I had a relative retire to NH in the 80's. She was a multi millionaire and the tax status was part of the move.
She had a major heart issue and died in a small town. Doctor's told her children if she had that issue in Mass General Hospital and 3 surgeons standing there ready to operate she would have died on the table anyway!

When it's your time to go, it's your time......

Old 09-17-2023, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I had a relative retire to NH in the 80's. She was a multi millionaire and the tax status was part of the move.
She had a major heart issue and died in a small town. Doctor's told her children if she had that issue in Mass General Hospital and 3 surgeons standing there ready to operate she would have died on the table anyway!

When it's your time to go, it's your time......
Dartmouth Medical Center is one of the best in New England don't know if they could have help but I'm sure she was within a drive to it.

Old 09-17-2023, 08:39 PM

6,811 posts, read 4,246,943 times
Seems like that's a pretty extreme example to me. It's not like it's NJ or remote rural WV as far as the two alternatives go.

Old 09-18-2023, 01:22 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,640,995 times
I think this should be less about NJ vs WV and more about the importance of assessing the access to and quality of healthcare available wherever you move. As an adult I’ve never lived anywhere other than NJ so it’s not something I’ve ever had to research. I don’t think it’s even something I would have thought to research as someone who is in good health.

Old 09-18-2023, 03:37 PM

Was never ever meant to be a NJ v WV it was to point out two things, 1) NJ isn't as bad as some here say it is 2) People need to fully evaluate when they pick up and move. As I have said before I would love to move to the Mountains, Berkshires of Mass, Adirondacks or even Vermont , NH or Maine but if I do it will have few gas stations , grocery stores, the Church of our choice and decent healthcare in a reasonable distance, that is what we would need to survive.

Old 09-19-2023, 09:04 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,629,764 times
We snowbird- Florida and the Jersey Shore. We see all of our doctors, dentists in New Jersey. We live within 5 miles of a hospital in both areas. When we/you age, the #1 priority with a move should be healthcare access. I would love to sell both places and buy a few hundred acre ranch out in the boonies. Not in our cards as we age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey