Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 03:07 PM

968 posts, read 728,134 times

Advertisements

Definitely a great time to sell. Unfortunately, it's also a terrible time to buy. It's also apparently a terrible time to rent. So there's that...

Even cash-rich offers, which would avoid the higher interest rates, can't offset the historically low inventory. Things will normalize at some point, but I don't think anyone can predict exactly what that new normal will look like.

To take some good news, NJ by comparison, while still relatively expensive, is now less relatively expensive than a lot of formerly cheaper cities (Austin, Boise, Tampa, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2023, 08:27 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,774,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
So what is the current status of real estate market in NJ?
Is it as crazy as it was a year ago? Or are things slowing down?
Is it a good time to sell?
Even more nuts then when this was posted. Still hardly any inventory, prices and rates are way up.

Good time to sell if you are downsizing/not taking out a mortgage for wherever you are moving to.

Old 05-26-2023, 09:43 AM

596 posts, read 896,636 times
I'm encouraged. Maybe I should sell my house.

I'm sure all depends on the price, but how would proximity to a train station affect the price these days?

I live in a town, called Fanwood (adjacent to Scotch Plains and Westfield). My house is 5 minute walk from the station. The train doesn't go directly to NYC (you have to transfer at Newark), but I see a lot of people waiting for their train in the morning especially from Monday to Thursday (Friday, not so much).

Are more people coming back to their office? It seems that way in my limited personal observation.

Old 05-26-2023, 09:54 AM

10,495 posts, read 7,026,221 times
Quote:
So what is the current status of real estate market in NJ?
Is it as crazy as it was a year ago? Or are things slowing down?
Is it a good time to sell?
I get a pamphlet in the mail once a month from a realtor in my area. It has all the home sales in my neighborhood, and the past 6 months they have mostly still going over asking. Unless we head into an economic depression, house prices for Single Family Homes are not coming down as there is simply not enough inventory, which was true prior to covid. The market in townhomes and condos are more soft as there is just more being made of them then the demand for them.

I read some articles about how the last couple years created a generation of unintentional landlords. The people who were able to buy/refinance at in the 2's and 3's are likely not going to sell. In many cases, it makes more sense to rent out your house if you need to move rather than sell if you have that type of loan. This will only decrease the inventory levels of homes. On the other side though, if you buy a home now your home will likely appreciate still just because there is low inventory of single family homes. If interest rates do come down (they look like they will only increase through the year) you can always refinance.

New Jersey single family housing inventory is in a precarious situation and its likely going to be a main issue going into the 2025 Governor election. Jack Ciattarelli who is likely going to run for Governor round 2 is making this a campaign discussion issue already. The Mount Laurel doctrine is part of the reason for the shortage of single family homes in the state.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 05-26-2023 at 10:18 AM..

Old 05-26-2023, 02:11 PM

7,056 posts, read 19,321,291 times
Quote:
I'm encouraged. Maybe I should sell my house.

I'm sure all depends on the price, but how would proximity to a train station affect the price these days?

I live in a town, called Fanwood (adjacent to Scotch Plains and Westfield). My house is 5 minute walk from the station. The train doesn't go directly to NYC (you have to transfer at Newark), but I see a lot of people waiting for their train in the morning especially from Monday to Thursday (Friday, not so much).

Are more people coming back to their office? It seems that way in my limited personal observation.
Yes, more people are coming back to the office. I was coming in 1-2 days a week since late 2021. In late 2021 there were a lot of days I was the only person in the office. And I always got a seat on PATH.

More of my coworkers are coming in now, and I recently increased to 3x each week. It's been a noticeable increase just within the mast month or two. Now mid-week days (Tue-Thu) are almost like they were in 2019 in my office. Rush hour trains (at least PATH and subway) are crowded again on Tue-Thu but still below 2019 crowding.

Old 06-01-2023, 06:27 AM

862 posts, read 977,536 times
Real estate must be hot right now, someone I know listed property and got lots of interest and multiple offers over asking.

Old 06-01-2023, 06:58 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,464,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
Real estate must be hot right now, someone I know listed property and got lots of interest and multiple offers over asking.
High demand and no inventory. Not too many people willing to give up their 3% mortgages for 7% ones.

In other words… yeah.

Old 08-07-2023, 06:48 PM

777 posts, read 2,382,104 times
The price homes are selling at currently don't even make any sense anymore. I used to be able to accurately predict what a home would close at. I have clients putting in offers $100k over the list price and aren't even in the running. Just lost out on a house in Glen Rock, next to the railroad tracks which got 21 offers on it.

Old 08-07-2023, 08:50 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,646,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1975 View Post
The price homes are selling at currently don't even make any sense anymore. I used to be able to accurately predict what a home would close at. I have clients putting in offers $100k over the list price and aren't even in the running. Just lost out on a house in Glen Rock, next to the railroad tracks which got 21 offers on it.

This has been the story for the last 3 years, yet somehow both prices and interest rates keep rising.

Old 08-10-2023, 05:07 PM

189 posts, read 262,724 times
It’s bonkers. We’re in Morris County, a 3bed 1bath ranch which hasn’t been renovated since the 90’s went on the market for 325k. They had 1 open house on Saturday, highest and best by 5pm Monday, they received over 40 offers. Neighbor told me the highest was 450K all cash no contingencies or inspections, unreal. Makes us want to sell and relocate but we also don’t want to change schools again… golden handcuffs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey