Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2008, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 12,249 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Harrison, NJ about 15 years. It is a solid working class neighborhood with not much crime. If you live there and don't have a car you can make out just fine because the town is small and easily walkable. The library, Post Office, City Hall, Police station, restaurants, dentists, laundromats, grocery stores, diners are all walkable. Walmart is walkable as well as Tom's, one of the best diners in Jersey. [Tom's is a good sized walk but doable.] Plus just across the Harrison Ave bridge is NJ PAC, & the Newark Museum. There is good bus service through Harrison both to the rest of NJ and in to NYC. And if you take the PATH to Newark (2 minutes), viola you are at the Amtrak, Jersey Transit, and Greyhound stations! From anywhere in Harrison it is not more than a twenty minute walk to the Path station. Also cab service is easily available. The streets are safe even late at night. I have never had a problem walking home from the PATH train at night when I have had to work late in the City. Harrison has trash pick-up three times a week and snow removal begins as soon as the first flake falls. Sanitation also promptly clears up leaves from streets and public areas in the Fall. A lot of the old factories have been torn down in the last several years and there is new construction in the works, both residential and a soccer stadium. Some of these changes have been controversial as the City has broadly exercised its power of eminent domain in this process. Changes are definitely in the wind and it is impossible to see yet how they will impact quality of life in this city. However as a resident over the past fifteen years it seems to me that overall Harrison has a lot of things in its favor as a place to live. It is a comfortable small town with a good quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 05:24 PM

531 posts, read 2,149,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamony View Post
A lot of the old factories have been torn down in the last several years and there is new construction in the works, both residential and a soccer stadium. Some of these changes have been controversial as the City has broadly exercised its power of eminent domain in this process. Changes are definitely in the wind and it is impossible to see yet how they will impact quality of life in this city.
If you had to speculate to impact, what do you think the impact will be?

Old 04-26-2008, 07:23 PM

323 posts, read 2,089,114 times
I'm actually thinking of purchasing a multifamily in Harrison as an Investment..
A lot of major redevelopment going on down there.

Greatest thing about Harrison is that there's a Path train in town...approx 30min to NYC

Old 05-15-2008, 06:22 PM

2 posts, read 12,249 times
Default Harrison, NJ: what will the changes bring?

Possibly it may be better in some ways but there is apt to be a lot of congestion I think, and probably significant parking problems. The pleasant small town may not survive.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:06 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,903,642 times
Harrison will become the new Hoboken-full of yuppies and less ethnically diverse.

= Boring

Old 05-15-2008, 09:46 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,573,243 times
What are rent prices like for 2 or 3 bedroom places like there?

Old 05-16-2008, 04:32 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,693,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Harrison will become the new Hoboken-full of yuppies and less ethnically diverse.

= Boring

So are you saying that only diverse towns are exciting?

Old 06-09-2008, 04:15 PM

2 posts, read 13,692 times
Diverse towns usually have not gone through gentrification, which is process where people of color and poorer people are displaced. But besides that, I would say yes, diverse towns are more intersesting....

Old 06-09-2008, 04:36 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,015,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
So are you saying that only diverse towns are exciting?
Not necessarily exciting, but more representative of the real world.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:44 PM

7 posts, read 73,861 times
I think Harrison is actually pretty nice since it is right next to Newark.
I would actually like to move there. Does it have a nice downtown?or is there lol.

I think some spots are a bit run down but everywhere you go there will be run down areas lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey