Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 04:59 PM

71 posts, read 321,639 times

Advertisements

Well, since Tahiti started her Jersey'isms thread, I have been stuck in a time warp, visiting places I haven't been to in years, and finding that some are GONE-

When I was a kid, growing up in Fort Lee, we had Hiram's AND Callahan's, right across the street from each other. I had a family of 7, and we all liked different things, and we'd argue over which 'burger and dog joint we'd go to! When we ordered from Callahan's it was the ONLY time my mother let me drink Yoo Hoo- FROM A BOTTLE no less....Nobody worried that I'd kill myself on the bottle- we didn't have "juice boxes" back then...

The Carvel in Fort Lee was also another favorite place of mine, and I'd always ask the 'dipper' if they had any broken flying saucer cookies, and she would give me a handful of broken cookies....SCORE!

And Michele's Bakery in Fort Lee. Remember when you were a kid, and every time you went into the Bakery with your mom they'd give you one of those little cookies, the ones with the sprinkles on them......

And finally, my favorite Jersey Institution was "Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor" on Route 4. Every dance recital, or Choir recital, or 6th grade graduation...we went to Jahn's and we'd order "The Kitchen Sink" which was like 15 scoops of ice cream and EVERY topping they had!

What are your favorite Jersey Institutions of Yesteryear? What place do you drive by and smile to yourself????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 05:06 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,937,206 times
Stewart's for a burger and a root beer. I thought it was so cool how they put the tray on your car window.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:52 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,732 times
I believe the Bergen Mall was the first to become an indoor mall. I used to like walking across the bridge to E. J. Korvettes.

Van Saun Park was another favorite, with it's kiddie zoo. I used to work at the zoo many days ago, and I watched the train go round and round.

The only hotdogs in the world came from Callahans.

Palisade's Amusement Park was a thrill. They had an overhead tram, typical amusement park games (3 ball throw for a quarter), a swim pool with waves, a roller coaster, and some animals as well.

Paramus Pool was the best thing in the world, second only to Darlington County Park. I enjoyed fishing, which is why Darlington was rated number one for me.

A drive in the family car to cruise along the Palisades, finally entering a boat basin and a walk along the shoreline along Alpine or Fort Lee. Seeing a chipmunk and driving slowly up to it, so as not to disturb it was very cool. There wasn't grafitti at the time, and some of the older abandoned buildings still stood. In any of the last three places (Paramus Pool, Darlington, or Alpine Boat Basin), going to the concession stand was the best part of the day.

There was a Dunk and Dip located in Fort Lee where I hung out with a Buddy named Tony. We would enjoy a donut and a religious philosophical discussion there quite often.

Stokes State Forest became my favorite in later life, as I worked there in 1976 in the YCC. We helped with timber stand improvement, latrines, a bridge in Tillman's Ravine, and a 40 foot look out tower on the mountain next to the monument.

For me, those were the institutions I recall best.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:57 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Stewart's for a burger and a root beer. I thought it was so cool how they put the tray on your car window.
They still do

Old 04-12-2008, 06:00 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Stewart's Root Beer is a good one.

Whitty's in Rahway/Colonia. 2nd greatest hot dogs on earth. 2nd only to Johnny's Hot Dogs in Buttzville.

Asbury Park Convention hall and the Palace Amusment Park.

Buxton's in Rahway/Colonia. Eat 16 scoops of ice cream in one sitting and the next 16 scoop wooden bucket was on the house.

Montgomery Wards, Two Guys, Korvettes, Jamesway and Rickles. What dumps !!

Longbranch Pier. Didnt that blow away in a storm? Or was it a fire?

Palisades Park in Fort Lee as well as Bertrands Island in Hopatcong. Uncle Milties Amusment Park in Cliffwood Beach area?

Mr S Thickest Shakes on earth (the rotating S sign). I think it was just on the NJ side of the Polasky Skyway? It was a long time ago. Maybe Newark area???

Berry's Cookie Factory in Elizabeth? You used to go into the store there to buy short weight packages for pennies.

Newark Evening News.

Chester Flea Market and the Chester Bakery. The

Crazy Eddie.

The old disintegrating Victory Bridge in Perth Amboy. How did that thing survive?

The old nut factory in Rahway on Rahway Av about a quarter mile from Rt1. My Dad called it the nut factory and we thought he meant nutty people when we were kids. They made nuts and bolts. And what about the noisy metal bridge there too. That little creek under it had some of the worlds largest petroleum reserves in the world.

The old Jersey City Stadium where the old Jersey Giants played. Then in the later years when the Stadium was abandoned and in ruins for so many years we crabbed for the biggest Blue Claw Crabs at the old docks behind the Stadium.

Expressions Unlimited gormet cheese and foods in Warren or Martinsville?

I cant think of anymore.

Memories never to be forgotten.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:49 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,356,672 times
Edison Lanes in Edison. Somehow they managed to tear it down and build a Pathmark with a strip mall and condos. It's getting hard to remember a speck of dirt not developed in Edison.

How about the Route 1 Flea Market? You could smell the roasted nuts as soon as you walked to the door. All the vendors yelling $1, $1, $1!

Old 04-12-2008, 06:50 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times
Garden State Plaza when it was an outdoor mall, and the drive-in movie next to it.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:08 PM

75 posts, read 300,972 times
Ah, we practically grew up at the Montvale roller rink. Reverse skate anyone?

Tice's Farm, et. al - Every now and then I pass Tice's Corner and miss going to the farms for our pumpkin, candy apples, etc.

Alexanders - my grandma used to take us their all the time for our big outing. I used to love how colorful the building was.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:17 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,336,163 times
The hiram's in fort lee is still there and I go every so often

When I was a child, me and my friends would ride bikes to the GWB Plaza. We went to the burger king there that is no longer there.

I used to go to the A&P on Lemoine and buy a long french bread, get some cold cuts, and make my self a long sub

I used to go to the Fort Lee Youth Center and play bball with friends, it is still there and going strong, and I am glad that it is.

My favorite NJ past-time has got to be taking day trips in NYC

Old 04-12-2008, 08:54 PM

514 posts, read 1,669,803 times
The Hazlet Drive In
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey