Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 04:51 PM

857 posts, read 834,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I grew up in NJ and lived here my entire life and I am 19. I live with my parents in the same suburb and same house my entire life. The town I live in is in North Jersey 10-11 miles from Newark, so my town is definitely safe and is a decent neighborhood. I kind of wish I lived in central-north Jersey (meaning the center of North Jersey) like Dover area where there is less hustle and bustle. My town does not seem like a 3rd world country at all. I live next to Essex County. Essex County has its rich suburbs, but these towns lie closer to Newark where patrols are filtering traffic.

The thing I do not like about NJ is the crime-rated, third world country type of cities. Every city in NJ is too overcrowded and is full of muggers. I recently took a vacation to Virginia and I have not seen a mugger, no weirdos, and no crowded areas like NJ including Virginia's cities that border Washington D.C. Every city in NJ has abandon homes, abandoned businesses closed by silver garage doors, and old factories that have missing windows. I hate how I have to go to ghetto Newark to watch a concert or a good show, because not every show would be held in Morristown. I have my dad's immediate family that lived in Jersey City and driving in Jersey City is a pain. Too many potholes, the lanes aren't labeled, etc. Even if I was an east coast fan, I would have no intent on living back in NJ again. I'd rather Virginia over NJ if I wanted to live on the east coast. I just don't like the ghetto urbanized areas and I just don't like the extreme population density over here.
What exactly does a mugger look like. I’m not quite sure if I have seen any? You say they are mostly native to NJ and do not exist in VA. Why is that? Does VA not have the correct vegetation conducive to supporting healthy muggers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 08:49 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,448,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
No, this is the main reason in life, there are winners and losers. You do a poor job, then everything about you will reflect it. Likewise, if you do a good job, then that too will be apparent.

The fact is that the crappy and poor towns and cities get the most state and federal help but remain crappy because the crappy leadership make bad decisions and squander it all away. The residents are the ones that vote in those leaders.

Stop trying to be an apologist for failure because we’ve had the Left telling us for decades that the failed cities and towns are a result of “more things to consider” instead of the real reason, which is not political correct to say.
Your subtle racism isn’t fooling anyone but if you must have an explanation.

Part of the reason why minority neighborhoods are the way they are is because loans were prevented from being obtained in minority areas. This was called redlining. Add to that, the GI Bill granted generous housing loans to returning veterans to buy houses in the suburbs. But this greatly benefited whites as blacks were denied loans.

Add to that poor “urban renewal” projects and the government helping bring in drugs to minority neighborhoods, not saying those from these neighborhoods who sold drugs were innocent but it is more complex. It isn’t that blacks and Hispanics are subhumans. I’m impressed that the despite the poverty that immigrants bring in so many businesses to these communities.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:59 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Economics and environment are the effects not cause. It’s like saying a loser who dropped out of school, did drugs, work minimum wage, commit crimes, end up in prison, then blame it all on economics and the environment. While another guy worked hard in school, went to Harvard and becomes a doctor. Yeah, it’s the economics and environment that is the difference, not the person.

Throw in the fact that, in order to help the loser out because the Left thought he was at a disadvantage, the government helps the loser out with almost everything, including lots of counseling, attention, stipends, housing, foodstamps and even a guaranteed government job but yet the loser still screw up. While the hardworking guy got nothing from that same government but higher taxes.

That pretty much sums up the good and bad cities and towns across the state and country.
I never said economics and environment were the ONLY factors (for some reason you think it's economics/environment OR the person, when I've been telling you from the beginning it's BOTH, and more.)

Anyone can work hard at anything, not only are there no guarantees in life, but your environment will affect you (whether you like it or not). Of course, being at a disadvantage isn't an excuse not to succeed, but according to your logic no one is even at a disadvantage to begin with. Sure...

As far as higher taxes from the government, the left wants your taxes for the poor (or lazy if you prefer), the right wants your taxes for the rich (pick your poison).

Old 03-04-2018, 01:24 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times
Quote:
I grew up in NJ and lived here my entire life and I am 19. I live with my parents in the same suburb and same house my entire life. The town I live in is in North Jersey 10-11 miles from Newark, so my town is definitely safe and is a decent neighborhood. I kind of wish I lived in central-north Jersey (meaning the center of North Jersey) like Dover area where there is less hustle and bustle. My town does not seem like a 3rd world country at all. I live next to Essex County. Essex County has its rich suburbs, but these towns lie closer to Newark where patrols are filtering traffic.

The thing I do not like about NJ is the crime-rated, third world country type of cities. Every city in NJ is too overcrowded and is full of muggers. I recently took a vacation to Virginia and I have not seen a mugger, no weirdos, and no crowded areas like NJ including Virginia's cities that border Washington D.C. Every city in NJ has abandon homes, abandoned businesses closed by silver garage doors, and old factories that have missing windows. I hate how I have to go to ghetto Newark to watch a concert or a good show, because not every show would be held in Morristown. I have my dad's immediate family that lived in Jersey City and driving in Jersey City is a pain. Too many potholes, the lanes aren't labeled, etc. Even if I was an east coast fan, I would have no intent on living back in NJ again. I'd rather Virginia over NJ if I wanted to live on the east coast. I just don't like the ghetto urbanized areas and I just don't like the extreme population density over here.
Norfolk and Richmond (VA) have plenty of that ghetto element. I don't think VA is a bad state (family in Suffolk), but its cities definitely aren't a big draw IMO. VA certainly isn't as dense, and has more of the open space you said you like.

PS: you only didn't see a mugger because in order to see a live mugger you'd have to actually witness a mugging.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:02 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal1 View Post
What exactly does a mugger look like. I’m not quite sure if I have seen any? You say they are mostly native to NJ and do not exist in VA. Why is that? Does VA not have the correct vegetation conducive to supporting healthy muggers?
Lmao, I was going to ask a similar question. How do you know someone is a mugger unless they have mugged you?

I suspect "mugger" might be a euphemism for another word ending in "gger".

Old 03-04-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Lmao, I was going to ask a similar question. How do you know someone is a mugger unless they have mugged you?

I suspect "mugger" might be a euphemism for another word ending in "gger".
Potanto is an interesting character. Hope still remains though and I take solace in the fact that he or she is only 19.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:25 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Your subtle racism isn’t fooling anyone but if you must have an explanation.

Part of the reason why minority neighborhoods are the way they are is because loans were prevented from being obtained in minority areas. This was called redlining. Add to that, the GI Bill granted generous housing loans to returning veterans to buy houses in the suburbs. But this greatly benefited whites as blacks were denied loans.

Add to that poor “urban renewal” projects and the government helping bring in drugs to minority neighborhoods, not saying those from these neighborhoods who sold drugs were innocent but it is more complex. It isn’t that blacks and Hispanics are subhumans. I’m impressed that the despite the poverty that immigrants bring in so many businesses to these communities.
If my view is racist so be it. I am just calling it the way I see it.

You are just making up excuses and being an apologist for black Americans. Plenty of non-whites, particularly Asians, who BTW come here with very little and barely able to speak the language but have made themselves better through hardwork and education so much with nary a complaint about racism or the racist system. They in fact get discriminated (like Ivy League and elite West Coast colleges purposely putting a limit on their enrollment because there are too many overqualified Asian candidates and acceptingthe less qualified blacks for “diversity” purposes) more but rarely do anything about it but just go on with their lives quietly.

Meanwhile, you have the black American community that have become experts at whining about everything (just the other day, I saw that they were in front of a school protesting to have a teacher fired because she wanted to teach students about slavery) and literally society immediately caves into their demands and gives them all types of programs and assistance (to fight racism). They know how to use the race card very well.

You can try to come up with all the supposedly racist programs from 70 years ago but for many decades now, the inner cities have been the recipients of the most generous government handouts and assistance in the country and yet because of those residents and their failed leadership, they are still lousy.

If other model minority groups (like the Asians I talked about) had even gotten 1/1000th of the help the black Anericans have gotten, they’d certainly would have done a whole lot more with it, than turning cities (or their parts of it) like Detroit, Camden, St. Louis, Newark, JC, Passaic, Paterson, Trenton, Hartford, Cleveland, Philly, NYC, Chicago, Memphis, New Orleans, Baltimore, Oakland CA, South Central LA, etc. into the most dangerous, crime ridden, decaying hellholes in the country.

Last edited by antinimby; 03-04-2018 at 06:37 AM..

Old 03-04-2018, 06:29 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
I never said economics and environment were the ONLY factors (for some reason you think it's economics/environment OR the person, when I've been telling you from the beginning it's BOTH, and more.)

Anyone can work hard at anything, not only are there no guarantees in life, but your environment will affect you (whether you like it or not). Of course, being at a disadvantage isn't an excuse not to succeed, but according to your logic no one is even at a disadvantage to begin with. Sure...

As far as higher taxes from the government, the left wants your taxes for the poor (or lazy if you prefer), the right wants your taxes for the rich (pick your poison).
Just by that last sentence, it shows you know nothing but just what the liberal media have brainwashed you.

Almost half the country do not pay any income taxes. The other half with the wealthy paying the largest share, pay all the taxes that keeps this country going. The Right is not taking anyone’s taxes and giving it to the rich. The rich (and the middle class) is literally giving taxes to support everyone else.

If you take out the rich, this country will literally collapse, like Venezuela. Do you even know what is happening in Venezuela?

Last edited by antinimby; 03-04-2018 at 06:38 AM..

Old 03-04-2018, 07:51 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:

This whole post make me think of that Sopranos episode where Tony takes AJ to the old "hood" where he grew up which is now a cesspool.

AJ asks why were things so much better back then, and Tony tells him "because people gave a S***t.

That being said places like Newark, Patterson, etc... were beginning to decline post (if not a bit before )WWII as industrialization began to pack up and leave the north east for south or elsewhere. By the 1960's you had changing immigration patterns then race riots, the rest as they say is history.

It is telling that across the river you had large parts of NYC in the 1970's going well into the 1990's that weren't that much better than say Newark or Jersey City. But now look at Far West Side, Williamsburg, Bushwick, Greenpoint, and so forth. Even the Bronx is cleaning up nicely.

It all comes down to political will and a plan. Vast sums have been handed to those running Newark et al, and some how; some how nothing ever changes. Corey Booker came in with all his la-di-da talk, and in the end nothing changed much.

Only way to clean up these places would be go in there with some sort of urban renewal scheme that allowed for eminent domain. Clear the places out and start from scratch.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:11 AM

First you would need to get rid of the muggers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey