Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 06:11 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackedInPrinceton View Post
Oh please, lets no get carried away... I live in Trenton and its worse than Paterson
Uh oh here comes an argument of whos area is tougher. Please lets all just agree Trenton , Paterson, Camden, Newark, Jersey City, Irvington, East Orange etc.. are all dangerous no need to argue whos the toughest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 06:28 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
There are probably a couple of streets in Vegas that could go head to head with Paterson's worst streets!
What are you kidding? Vegas probably is more crime infested then Patterson and more then you will ever hear on the news. Most of it is hidden from tourists ears. It has been a lot of years since I used to travel into Patterson and I remember it being pretty bad. I know it only got worse. As far as your intent to put down Vegas to spite me it will not work. Because I will sit here and agree with you. Friend ........ there stories to tell.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:42 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,445,169 times
It depends on which part. There are actually nice areas. Believe it or not there are actually mansions or what appears to be mcmansions near eastside park. I have gone to Paterson many times and have taken pictures. I've never felt threatened. Just as long as you keep to yourself and dont cause problems you should be fine.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:57 PM

387 posts, read 1,429,456 times
But its not even close.. Trenton is way tougher. I know statistics dont mean everything but just check em out.. Trenton has waaaay higher crime rates and about only half the population, come on.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:00 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
It depends on which part. There are actually nice areas. Believe it or not there are actually mansions or what appears to be mcmansions near eastside park. I have gone to Paterson many times and have taken pictures. I've never felt threatened. Just as long as you keep to yourself and dont cause problems you should be fine.
The Eastside Park section is lovely and very expensive. The trouble with that area is 20 blocks away is perfect replica of what you'd see on "The Wire".
The area near Totowa is still quite nice and reasonably safe. I lived in that area for 53 years and never heard a gun and walked my dog every night.

Most of the crime happens in the downtown areas at night.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:19 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,583,387 times
1) Paterson is big and varies
2) Cmon Camden gets its own category of bad then so does Newark/ Elizabeth/ Irvington. Paterson follows behind them.
3) No I wouldnt buy a house there.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:29 AM

416 posts, read 1,713,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YO ITZZ JASONN View Post
Is Paterson, NJ dangerous? My friend lives in Wayne (It's a really nice, suburban town that is very close to Paterson) and he says that he goes there all the time with his friends to hang out and that the area isn't dangerous at all. Is he right? When I drived by Paterson, it looked kind of dangerous to me ... is it bad???
I have to give you a big at the notion of "looks dangerous". What you probably mean is that it looks urban, older--not bright, shiny and new, maybe with people hanging out and/or walking around who do not look like they're about to head off to their jobs on Wall Street, and certainly not to a "white power" meeting . . . you should examine why those things trigger "dangerous" to you psychologically.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:33 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
I think I can speak for Paterson. (considering that A: I have family who live there and B: I USED to live there) I'm from Queens, but I lived in Paterson from time to time. Like most people were saying, Paterson is a large city (it is the third largest city in NJ) and like all urban cities, it has it's good sides and bad sides. If you stay away from areas like the 4th Ward, Northside, and parts of Riverside, Paterson is kind of nice. Especially the Eastside Park area (someone made mention of that) Eastside Park is pretty expensive (for Paterson) with houses selling well over 800,000. Paterson and Queens has a lot in common. Large immagrant population, large amount of ethics groups, some suburban areas. Paterson could be mistaken for areas of Queens. If it had a subway system.

I wouldn't worry about Downtown Paterson. I've been to downtown Paterson at night. Let me tell you. It's DEAD no one is around. Most crime in Paterson is usally drug related. Or, the person knew the perp. There is random crime, but I think people in the burbs tend to hype it up.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:36 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41
What are you kidding? Vegas probably is more crime infested then Patterson and more then you will ever hear on the news. Most of it is hidden from tourists ears. It has been a lot of years since I used to travel into Patterson and I remember it being pretty bad. I know it only got worse. As far as your intent to put down Vegas to spite me it will not work. Because I will sit here and agree with you. Friend ........ there stories to tell.
I heard a LOT of horror stories about Vegas. I know Paterson is tough, but it ain't on that level.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 17,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Patterson is extremely dangerous. But as bad as any area is, if one lives there and walks the streets, one develops a sense of safety and comfort zone. In other words if you have a familiar routine walking the same sidewalk every day then you will feel less threatened when you walk outside.

No matter, unless you have an Elephant rifle by your side, dont get out of the car there. Those poor people hear gun fire and dont even flinch. They dont even hit the deck. They are immune to gun fire.

WOW you must live in the projects of Paterson to know that people dont duck for cover and are immune to gunfire!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey