Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 07:21 PM

968 posts, read 1,144,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You may have to adjust your thinking about Middlesex co being overcrowded like the cities you mentioned.

Bayonne 10,000 ppl per sq mile
Jersey City 16,000 ppl per sq mile
Queens NY 71,000 ppl per sq mile.

Middlesex co NJ 2,600 ppl per sq mile.

Where I live in NC 200 ppl per sq mile but sometimes the Amtrak station is crowded as many as 10 ppl sometimes.
Middlesex County is predominantly car-dependent suburbs. Bayonne, JC, Qns etc are cities. In the city you don't really need a car. In the suburbs you need a car. In Middlesex County you need a car, thus more cars thus traffic etc. More people have cars in Middlesex County than in the cities mentioned. So it may be less densely populated technically, but the traffic still gets bad.

They really need to step it up with fixing Route 1 through the area before the train station opens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 01:50 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,169,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
Will only help values. a new station, 1 seat to Manhattan on the best njtransit line (electrified). It's a no brainer. Figure they'll add some sort of express service, 35-40 min into Manhattan. That'd be great for the community.

I will say, I was shocked to see that the pulte site for Main Street north bruns indicates that the town homes are STARTING in the low 500's. That is ambitious? But maybe not, being that pulte has sold through the same town homes in two communities in highland park for slightly less money (high 400's). Good for the community I guess.

North Brunswick is a great value play right now, with lots of upside potential.
I don't really see how there can be express trains at this station. The express trains either start at Trenton or Jersey Avenue. The ones that start at Trenton already stop at Hamilton, Princeton Junction, and Newark. From what the people I know at NJ Transit tell me, only local trains will initially stop at North Brunswick since Jersey Avenue is nearby.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
North Brunswick is on the NEC, so other than diesel work trains and maybe nighttime/weekend freight traffic its all electric. The North Brunswick station would simply add a stop on a current rail line, so the trains are already passing through. The station itself won't really cause any extra noise except maybe some brake squeal now and then along with the sound of the bell as the train comes to a stop.
Many of the trains on the NEC are dual-fuel (electric + diesel). I was on a train that actually got stuck in the tunnel when the power went out. Fortunately, it was a dual fuel train and they were able to push us in with diesel.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:47 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,014,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't really see how there can be express trains at this station. The express trains either start at Trenton or Jersey Avenue. The ones that start at Trenton already stop at Hamilton, Princeton Junction, and Newark. From what the people I know at NJ Transit tell me, only local trains will initially stop at North Brunswick since Jersey Avenue is nearby.
The Jersey Ave train from the latest plans/studies i have seen would be going away. Jersey Ave does not have a platform, therefore does not have a north bound stop from trains that originate from Trenton, thats why the express trains dont stop there. That being said, when the North Brunswick station comes around, my hope is that they make AT LEAST 1 train per rush hour an express to Newark (i.e. add an additional stop to the expresses from Trenton). If i was the North Brunswick Mayor, i would be raising hell to get that on the schedule.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
The Jersey Ave train from the latest plans/studies i have seen would be going away. Jersey Ave does not have a platform, therefore does not have a north bound stop from trains that originate from Trenton, thats why the express trains dont stop there. That being said, when the North Brunswick station comes around, my hope is that they make AT LEAST 1 train per rush hour an express to Newark (i.e. add an additional stop to the expresses from Trenton). If i was the North Brunswick Mayor, i would be raising hell to get that on the schedule.
Jersey Avenue does have a platform. That's where trains that start and end at Jersey Avenue board and drop off passengers.

I'm not sure the North Brunswick mayor has much clout here. If they plan on getting rid of Jersey Avenue (which I doubt will happen), then all the trains that start there can start at North Brunswick instead.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:22 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,192,007 times
Quote:
Jersey Avenue does have a platform. That's where trains that start and end at Jersey Avenue board and drop off passengers.

I'm not sure the North Brunswick mayor has much clout here. If they plan on getting rid of Jersey Avenue (which I doubt will happen), then all the trains that start there can start at North Brunswick instead.
Jersey Ave does not have a north bound station. The only station it has is south bound which makes it incredibly difficult for north bound trains to cross 4 tracks and stop at the south bound station, if it needs to make a stop.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Jersey Ave does not have a north bound station. The only station it has is south bound which makes it incredibly difficult for north bound trains to cross 4 tracks and stop at the south bound station, if it needs to make a stop.
Jersey Avenue doesn't have a north bound station for the same reason why none of the stations on the NEC line don't have north bound stations.... The trains don't go north. They go east and west. Jersey Avenue has an east-bound station where trains leave to go towards New York.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:58 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,014,758 times
Quote:
Jersey Avenue doesn't have a north bound station for the same reason why none of the stations on the NEC line don't have north bound stations.... The trains don't go north. They go east and west. Jersey Avenue has an east-bound station where trains leave to go towards New York.
oh jeeze

Old 02-04-2016, 09:10 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,192,007 times
Quote:
East of Jersey Ave is Sandy Hook and NEC train doesn't go there. So let's call it a truce and agree that the train doesn't go east and west or north and south but goes northeast to southwest.

New Brunswick, Edison, Metuchen, Metropark - they all have both a northeast and a southwest bound stations. Jersey Ave is the only exception which only has a southwest bound station but none on the northeast bound side for express trains. So if express stations coming from Trenton needs to make a stop at Jersey Ave, it must cross 3 or 4 tracks (depending on which northeast bound track it is on) to make a stop on the southwest bound station and then cross back 4 tracks to make the next stop at New Brunswick.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
East of Jersey Ave is Sandy Hook and NEC train doesn't go there. So let's call it a truce and agree that the train doesn't go east and west or north and south but goes northeast to southwest.

New Brunswick, Edison, Metuchen, Metropark - they all have both a northeast and a southwest bound stations. Jersey Ave is the only exception which only has a southwest bound station but none on the northeast bound side for express trains. So if express stations coming from Trenton needs to make a stop at Jersey Ave, it must cross 3 or 4 tracks (depending on which northeast bound track it is on) to make a stop on the southwest bound station and then cross back 4 tracks to make the next stop at New Brunswick.
I was referring to the official track directions as given by Amtrak (eastbound and westbound). Getting technical about which direction they really flow at any given time is just going to confuse people.

Jersey Avenue has an eastbound station, but trains coming from Trenton don't stop there. The eastbound trains start at Jersey Avenue and most of them are semi-express (go from Metropark directly to Newark. Someone traveling from Jersey Avenue to New York spends no more time in the train than someone traveling from Princeton Junction to New York (and much less on the way home).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey