Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 06:03 PM

64 posts, read 95,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
That is what upsets me. Is the criteria for receiving Section 8 based upon income? Is that why they keep raising minimum wage every year or so? Because they figure welfare recipients only work minimum wage jobs and if we can keep raising minimum wage maybe there won't be a need for welfare.

I guess it would help if I actually met or heard from someone who has received Section 8 and was a success story. I haven't met one yet that can form a complete sentence but yet they know all the tricks to "beating the system. They know how to move in and out of state with Section 8 and what other assistance they can receive but will not contact anyone for a decent job or further their education (even though they can receive a substantial amount of financial aid while us poor working folks had to work full-time to pay tuition and bust our humps for even the smallest scholarship).
Yes, I know many section 8 families eventually succeed because I helped them. However, it is very difficult to help because the society is full of "discrimination" like you. I am not trying to blame them or you, it is just that you do not understand the situation.

e.g. Many years ago, I helped a single mom with kids to rent my sister's 1br with basement, and it was 1800 sqft and was fine from my angle, but social worker said it is NOT qualified, they need at least 3br to 4br. So, I helped them to find, and every realtor when knowing section 8, they made excuse to disconnect with me, some made appointment to show, and not show up, some show but rush very fast trying to escape. eventually, no listed rental in town available to them.

So, I found for sale by owner one, and found one 3br townhouse very nice, and they came to see and landlord happy, as soon as we sitdown to do paper work, the landlord knew it was section 8, the landlord stand up right away, looking at watch, saying "Oh my God! I forgot to pick up my kids"... So he rush us out, and say he will call us later, and days later he never called, nor answer our calls. weeks later when we finally get to talk to him, he said, sorry, someone else taken. He said he was in a rush and lost our phone, and he NEVER heard from us thought we were no longer interested in.

I never got that much insult altogether in my life, so I decided to buy a house to rent to this family; when I called all realtors love to serve me during 90's when real estate was low, then there was a realtor told me he actually had a 3br townhouse in the same community just for rent, and he was going to put lockbox, so I brought the family to see and love it and wanted to rent it. Before they finally moved in, it took over a month, during that time, I have to finally tell them, if you discriminate, you have to tell the judge in court.

But, then, I told the landlord to see my sister's 1br, very nice an clean, and I told the landlord that never need to worry, and some minor repairs the husband can fix it, and not need to worry. But I also warned the wife to send in rent 10 days in advance each month to avoid delay by post office or other unexpected situation such as sick, accident, ...etc. because one most important criteria landlord judge if good or bad tenant is if they pay rent on time, or better a few days earlier ...

The family has been very successful now after all these year because my oldest was classmate of their youngest in town, and I kept an eye on for the family. If you want more real cases, I can share with you more, but I believe, for anyone to learn more about section 8 is to help family directly, then, you will understand the whole thing, not just "guessing" or listen to some people who did "guessing".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilo81 View Post
No, Section 8 makes people depended on the government for assistance. Dependency means lazyness.
Don't forget government also depend on us to pay tax and our money assistance, so you think government is lazyness?

Why not government run their own company to make their own money? So, you think government is lazy? what a logic?!

Old 01-19-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Congratulations to you Tam!!! I definitely think there should be a limit to Section 8. I know people that have children and are on Section 8, won't work in a pie factory, but will be the first one waiting during tax season because they let someone claim their child on their income tax so they can get the money!!! There are also people who live in nice neighborhoods where there are working families who don't qualify for any aid but they continue to struggle. Those that receive Section 8 and food stamps drive around in new cars and SUV's.
I do not believe 38 millions American who getting food stamps are all driving new cars and SUV's. Apparently, you do NOT know the requirements and qualifications to obtain food stamp, but you can learn it very quickly by applying for it, and you will be asked the value of your car, and at that moment, you are not qualified.

When a single mom with a kid, it is very expensive for them to work. unless she got a job paying decently (apparently, the pie factory is not) that pay can cover childcare after tax, she "can NOT afford" to work...

You should help at least one of 8 millinon American homeless families, then you will understand all the reasons behind the kind of "unbelivable" logics.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Oh and also on the first of the month they will have grocery carts full of food and a ton of junk food, while I am clipping coupons and trying to find sales.
Every 3rd of each month these 38 million American families got their assistance, and the reason they look like they buy a lot is because most such families do NOT have car, and they either need to find a ride (most time not easy, e.g. have you ever give free ride to Section 8 families to supermarket?) or pay for taxi. So they tend to buy all at once in each month.

By the way, if you clipping coupons, that implies you are wealthier people. In this country, only most wealthy people use coupons. Why? if your tax rate is high, you may need to make $200 to eventually save $100, and other money, $66 to federal, $8 to state, ...to social security, to medicare ...etc.

But, if you clip coupon and save $100, that is REAL $100, not even need to pay commute cost and car depreciation.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeyab2004 View Post
I find that a many landlords such as yourself refuse to rent to Sec. 8 Tenants. May I ask why? Have you had a bad experience with tenants on the program? Just curious.
Here are why most landlord does not want to rent to section 8:

1. most landlord own just one or two units and not familiar with section 8 procedure, unlike some big landlords who own a lot and know more.

2. because most of landlord "discriminate" section 8 due to lack of understanding, it would harder for section 8 tenant to move out, say, 2 years later, landlord want to move back in, and their section 8 going out to find rentals will face huge discrimination (even under law protection), and not found anything, so the landlord is impacted. e.g. the family I quoted eventually rent the 3br townhouse for 4 years, and the landlord divorced and decide to take back the townhouse to move back in, it took from April to Novembmer finally found another landlord willing to rent to this section 8 family.

3. So, to certain extend, it is a "society discrimination" on section 8, so need more education on that. e.g. require all licensed realtor to help 10 section 8 families BEFORE giving them permanent license to make sure they understand the difficulty of section 8 family. They simply making hide and seek with such families could make their life in the hell. And, for young adults, before then entering a decent job, the American company is required to give them section 8 education, or make one day for a year to help section 8 family, if they want to get promotion. If their executives could not understand 38 million American families, how could they provide customer satisfactory service?

Old 01-19-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Wow, $900/mo? I feed a family of four (two adults, two teenagers) for between $350-400/mo.
You should budget more, or your kids may not have enough nutrition, but I do not blame you because all wealthy people tend to cut down living cost. I know many millinaires never spend money on food, they will go to hotel happy hours to eat free, and go to party in weekends, and of course as friends for free rides.

I am very interested in what you feed your family? can you give me a list and price? I no longer bought orange juice when shoprite went from 99 cents to 3 for $5, but then I buy orange. Your experience must be worth to learn.

My experience of cutting living cost is to NOT turn on gas heat, and I did that for years, it seemed to be fine, and my neighbor paying $500 to $600 a month on PSEG, one even pay over $1,000 in cold winter month ... I would like to learn how to spend just $350-$400 a month as my tenant could not pay me full rent, only pay me about half, so I need to cut down my spending.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Neekah,
I think you know the answer to your question. You and I are busting our hump and some freeloaders are staying home and getting free food, section 8 housing, free child care and so on. Yes a very small segment of the population should be entitled to this. Both myself and wife have worked 30 years both at the same time while raising a family, watching over terminally ill parents, tragedies within our families. I worked midnights for almost 15 years and came home and wiped childs asses, fed the kids, changed urine bags for elderly parents and in laws. I never once thought of government assistance or my wife. To me if I had to receive food stamps I would take on another job. One question that arises, the people that bettered themselves with section 8, when you move on because you were helped out are you going to pay the government our tax dollars back. I still work 2 jobs and I could sit on my butt for the rest of my life and retire and live comfortably. I'm sorry if I offended anyone but I am being perfectly blunt. I see perfectly healthy people for the last 30 years that can work but don't sit on the porch all day and have no intention of working. So yes Neekah life is not fair.
I think you are great except that you should give one job to section 8 people. There are not too many jobs out there, when everyone get one is not enough, if some get two jobs, it is inevitably others will not have job.

So, insist NOT to take two job because many other families need your job.

My parents insist to retire in 46 because that's enough to make a living, they gave their jobs to younger teachers, and they did charity work.

In Taiwan, there used to be senators, very old, like 90's, going out with wheelchairs but they insist only them can do the job an help the country, so you generation can not become senators... So, there was a joke saying that grandpa senator asking 60 year old son why he did not work at all for all 60 years life, and his son saying, he is waiting for the job that his father doing...

So, just work on one job, and if you can retire, retire early so that others, especially section 8 families can have a job.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Jersey Man I know how I feel about the topic (my opinion became even more negative as I was sitting in the financial aid off in college applying for various student loans and trying to figure out how much of my income I could use to pay towards my monthly payment plan). Yes I believe some people may need it i.e. the elderly and disabled. But some people get on it just because they get pregnant and that irritates me so much. I used to work for Community Development which was right below Housing in the same building. You would be surprised at the people I encountered. I had the young pregnant woman who had already had one child, claimed to be homeless (but yet you found a place to have sex), then there was the old mother who was there with her young pregnant daughter, the old mother was already on welfare and told her young daughter she could now receive it and sign up for Section 8 too. I am sure there are young people who have children but work to care for their child without assistance. They work hard as Secretaries by day, go to school, and move on to have careers.They may not get their own apartment right away or be able to spend all day with their child, and they will struggle to buy their child the necessities but atleast they are doing it. I have had more experiences with the negative stereotypes of welfare recipients than I have of those who actually don't take it and decide to do it on their own.
All I can tell you is if you are female homeless on street, within 48 hours you would be forced to have sex with some males who want to help you. So, you may be having sex at their car, hotel, home, ...etc. This is research result, hope that can answer all your puzzles... this is another reason, most shelter help female homeless first, because, even male homeless may also be forced to have sex with females who help them, but at least they will not have kids, once have kids, these homeless females will have more problem and cost more to society. after all, kids is more difficult to help than homeless. and therefore section 8, food stamps ...etc.

So, if you are male, do not help female homeless with a string to have sex to them, and sometimes, it is worse that they were charged as prostitute becuase they have sex with you and you give her $50 to help...

Old 01-19-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusher View Post
It's nice to see the section 8 success stories here. As I mentioned with my earlier post, I've seen too many of the bad apples to call the program a success as a whole. Like most govt programs, there are parts of it that are good and parts that aren't so great.

Let's remember too, that those of you who are cheering for section 8 and other welfare programs have no right at all to complain about your high taxes. Because that's how we're paying for that stuff.
If you want to improve, here is a solution.

Years ago I helped a single mom with 2 kids while they were at end of long section 8 waiting list (no, you not always get it right away, and many times, especially at bad times, the line may be extremely long) this way.

They already in a situation when their cars are not able to pay for 3 months, and under repo, so the husband drove wife's car and wife drove husband's car, since the husband found a low pay job 100 miles away, so insurance company was not able to repo the car. They did not know how to do, very panic.

I told the wife return her husband's car back because that car was paid $300 each month ok, and she took her back and call insurance company to repo it volunteerly, that way, at least she can save the credit.

Then loan her $4000 to buy a used reliable car, so she would not need to worry about $300 car payment each month from her SSI.

Then I worked with her remotely, over thousand miles to rent a 2br apt for $500 a month for 6 months, with $3000 loan.

Then, she cut 70 $100 checks post dated starting Jan 1st of the following year. For all these years, the payment not yet finished yet, but when emergency, I loan her $1,000 more, and cut more post dated checks, and when could not pay, I will send her 3 checks back while she send me 3 more posted checks at end of whole due days.

She later became manager and now vp and business owner ... and I am still getting my check cashed every month and almost paid off.

So, if you were the US government, you know I have better solution than section 8.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
Hi Nikey,
I don't refuse that would be against the law. I don't want to and that should be my right. I do not have an apartment complex I have a 2 family. It's not in the best neighborhood and I know know more about tenant/ landlord law then I ever thought I would.
I have been not only victimized by the tenants but the bureaucracy at sec-8. They actually did me a favor but of course they did not tell me, I was trying to follow up a perspective sec-8 tenant, my property is in old bridge which is middlesex and the majority of prospects come from monmouth since I advertise in the park press.

I called the lady and asked why she did not get back she was so excited. She said "don't tell anyone but you are on a black-list". THEY won't rent to me.

It's hard enough having to cover all the bases to make sure that someone does not destroy, steal or victimize me or my property.

And the reason I am black listed had to do with an inspection. It's bad enough that we have to do all of these dumb inspections, then sec-8 has there own inspection, even though I have a COO I have to comply if I want to receive this "pot of gold".

I had just finished an eviction, with losses over 3k, I was try to help this prospect. The case worker from "monmouth" who would not surrender/forward the file to the middlesex office, during the interview with improvements like a new toilet seat and such decided, I would have to put in a new living room rug. I looked at him and said the interview is over.

I want to comment Tam27 and the other people who use the system and do not abuse.

Although I do have mixed filling that you will be getting off after your closing.

I know the the stories of battered parents and children and I know they need help. Tenants and the state seem to think it my responsibility, I am a landlord. Well tam and others, what if corzine said you had to put up someone in your spare bedroom how would you feel.

I once had a lady look at my place, she gave me a referral, it was a local cop. I called him, he said the girl has cleaned up her act, she was working and on sec-8. BUT he felt that her drug attic brother would also be living with in the house and he could not recommend it. And of course tenants have rights. You can have a guest for 30 days, and I can't say a damn thing. So I turned her down, she immediately accused me of discrimination because she was black. I never when to court. But for at least 2 years a person/couple of color would make an appointment to see an apartment that I would have for rent. I would drive 1.5 r/t spend 20min with them I would give them my application, I asked how much they made and they told me 40k each (well qualified), and they would never get back to me.

I have also had really crap non-sec 8 people. My place is in a low -income neighborhood.
I have also had some really good people who appreciated and respected themselves and my property.

People remember there is no single answer to this question. Do we just let people die but do we just let them continue with out any guidance. Should the case worker who would not forward the paperwork to protect his job loose his job. Then he would pick up unemployment.

Accountability, proper judgment, balance in social responsibility, caring, not having to feel remorse when you have to evict a mom and 3 kids...

Voice your opinion, try not to judge, go to your town meeting, get involved.

I think I have been rambling.

Thanks for listening, I hope it helps..
You are great! And I read it carefully twice, what you said is very honest and true based on my extensive experience.

So, the key is that this country need to have people who have the solution to work on the issue.

For example, I never did credit check on any of my tenant, nor did I increase the rent, and my tenants always good, regardless of black from Harlem, Amigos, Chinese, Indians, Whites, ...etc.

Why I did not do credit check? I believe in this world, everyone is trustworthy, when you trust them and they feel it, they will be more responsible.

Why I never increase the rent? because they were evaluate their affordability while renting, and when you increase the rent, you forced them out in many cases.

I have almost 100% perfect tenants, and with very rare cases, I know how to handle in a win win situation. First, I NEVER evict anyone, not that you can not or should not, but because from my extensive experience, most tenants, I mean so-called bad tenants, with pshychological burden of 3 month rent behind. At that time, they may tend to try to move out or escape, just like kids could not even get C's, may escape from school.

Another reason that I not only not evicit my tenants who unable to pay rent is because most people would pay rent unless they are under a condition they can NOT expect or handle. like 1.8 million families could not pay mortgage now. so government want to help.

From the point of view of a property, it is much more economically making sense if it is NOT vacant, so my goal is NOT vacant, whether tenant pay rent on time or not. that's why eventually, my tenants always catches up.

One black teacher at one year could not pay rent for 3 months, and I visit her find out she got car accident in DC, and auto repair cost her unexpected thousands. but she eventually pay back. today, she still my tenant with $900 rent, after 10 years, while neighbor already renting $1,650.

Do I loose? no? the condo appreciate from $70k to $265k. Is she? no, she still paying $900. where are the gain come from? NO vacant. when you have no turn around, you save more than rent loss.

You save on no inspection, the township inspecition on everything is $100 now, if change hand every year, it would add up to $1,000 right there.

Also, it helps tenants too that everytime moving, there is moving cost.

My amigo tenant with me for the 4th years now, and his account is about 3 to 4 months late, and I never evict him. In fact, I referred many odd jobs to him and his wife. he did lots of painting for the complex and distribute flyers ....etc. why evict someone paying rent late?

For the same token, why foreclose someone paying mortgage months late? for the long run, they shall catch up, from my experience. Which banks in this country knows this fact?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey