Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:16 PM

18 posts, read 72,745 times

Advertisements

I disagree for me it is a way to survive while working and going to to school, let's not look at everyone as lazy with no goals just because they are receiving temporary help from the government and I also pay taxes and work everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 12:18 PM

39 posts, read 235,114 times
I think section 8 has it's good and bad aspects but a lot of what has been said here is ridiculous. Just because a person gets section 8 does not mean that they sit on their butts all day and don't work and No, the government is not willing to pay more than the going rate for an apartment if a landlord rents to a Sec 8 tenants, actually the maximum rents that section 8 will pay are not really in tune with the going rate for a decent apartment. Does anyone even know anyone who gets Section 8 are are you all just speaking on things you have "heard". I just get really sick of people lumping others together under a negative stereo type just because their situation may be different than yours. I know people who receive section 8 and they go to work everyday just like everyone else. I also know some who don't work but that does not mean that everyone is like that.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:21 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
Oh and also on the first of the month they will have grocery carts full of food and a ton of junk food, while I am clipping coupons and trying to find sales.
Don't get me started on food stamps. Last year my daughter and I went to the grocery store on Superbowl Sunday, and there were two women in front of us with 5 toddlers/infants between them. The kids were all in dirty, ratty clothes, and the checkout belt was full of soda, chips, candy, boxes of chicken wings and potato skins, etc- obviously the makings of a big football party. None of the stuff was Shoprite brand- all Coke, Lays, Snickers, etc., and there wasn't a single item of decent food on there- all junk. When the total came up at around $150, the women used their food stamp cards to pay for the whole pile.

They really need to limit the use of food stamps to necessary foods- not that crap. Talk about abusing the system.........

Old 01-15-2008, 12:22 PM

625 posts, read 3,635,253 times
What I said is I know some people. I didn't say everyone on Section 8 is like that. My initial questions was it it hurting or helping. Most of the viewpoints we are getting on here is from people who have not been on it and have had to pay for everything on their own without any government assistance. I wanted to hear from people who have been on it and actually worked to get off of it in a timely manner.
It's good to here from both viewpoints.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:28 PM

531 posts, read 2,149,751 times
As should be clear from the responses on this thread, section 8 is what one makes of it.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:29 PM

28 posts, read 29,007 times
Quote:
I know people that have children and are on Section 8, won't work in a pie factory, but will be the first one waiting during tax season because they let someone claim their child on their income tax so they can get the money!!!
Girl please...tax season is like hitting the lottery in The Hood, lmao. The malls are packed, people get new cars, clothes, funiture..can't tell them nothing, lol. Some people are just happy living like that. But I don't get it

Old 01-15-2008, 12:37 PM

625 posts, read 3,635,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam27 View Post
Girl please...tax season is like hitting the lottery in The Hood, lmao. The malls are packed, people get new cars, clothes, funiture..can't tell them nothing, lol. Some people are just happy living like that. But I don't get it

It is and that is soo sad. It's kind of like the 1st -5th of the month. Downtown is packed and the hair salons are packed beginning 6am. Not only that but you can't even get in the supermarket. I think the 1st is the only time you will see a "family" shopping together. A mother, father, and 4 kids walking downtown. She has her hair and nails done, he has a fresh haircut, and the kids are all wearing too small or too big clothes

Old 01-15-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
What I said is I know some people. I didn't say everyone on Section 8 is like that. My initial questions was it it hurting or helping. Most of the viewpoints we are getting on here is from people who have not been on it and have had to pay for everything on their own without any government assistance. I wanted to hear from people who have been on it and actually worked to get off of it in a timely manner.
It's good to here from both viewpoints.
I think Section 8 is a wonderful program when used as intended. I get Section 8. I am employed full time and I work very hard but unfortunately I do not make a lot of money. I also go to school . I pay all my bills, pay my rent on time, and i have never destroyed an apartment nor do I scheme for ways to defraud the government. I am a responsible, law abiding tenant.
Do I plan on receiving Section 8 forever? NO ( that's why I am in school)
Could I receive Section 8 forever if I wanted to ? Yes, and there lies the problem with this program. I think there should be time limits and the families who recieve Section 8 should be required to participate in activities that will one day make them self sufficent. Right now there are no such requirements.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:47 PM

41 posts, read 150,595 times
I receive food stamps. While I am not on Section 8, I do have four children to feed. My husband walked out 3 weeks after the baby was born, and felt no need to provide groceries, money for electric, clothing, doctor's visits, etc. for the kids. I filed for child support back in April, and we are now in January and I have yet to receive the first regular CS payment, and I've had his wages garnished! So, my food stamps help to pay for the 5 gallons of milk I go through a week, the fresh apples, carrots, green beans, broccoli, chicken, beef cubes, yogurt, wheat bread, cereal bars, eggs, and other basics that me and my children need. I haven't totaled it up lately, but at one point before #3 was potty trained I was going through over $900 a month in groceries, with not a bit of junk in site! Formula, diapers, milk for the older kids, and good foods cost more than the junk foods.

Oh, and I do work part time from home. It would cost approximately $38,000 - $45,000 a year for the two little ones to go into daycare full-time, and the older two (ages 7 and 10) to go to before and after care. I don't know of any jobs in this area (gotta be within half an hour of the kids in case of emergency) that would pay enough for me to justify the luxury of getting to doll up, go to work, interact with adults, drive my car by myself, and get time away from the children every day. With four kids its pretty much guaranteed that one of them is going to be sick each month, and its not like their father is going to take time off from being a VP to stay at home with a sick child. He wouldn't even know which end to put the thermometer into! I won't always be a SAHM. When my littlest one is in school full-time, I will get a full-time job away from the house. But for now, I savor each new discovery my baby makes, and each messy art project my little guy makes. I missed out on all this with #1 because I was an executive assistant in a high pressure office.

Sorry for rambling, but my point is that not every person who uses food stamps is lazy or trying to beat the system. Tam, congratulations to you for succeeding. I was supposed to go back to nursing school this past fall, but unfortunately there was a waiting list for child care assistance, and I couldn't afford the daycare costs of $3,200 a month on my meager $1,200 a month income.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
No I don't think it is. Although it pays a part of the rent there is no incentive for the person to better their life. They can find more and more programs that enable that type of dependency.

I am a landlord and I don't want sec-8 and if I'm not careful I can get fined if I were to come out and state that. Is that fair? I can't even have a choice who I rent to.

There are no easy answers and there are many aspect to section 8, if we ask the social worker they would say yes, it's their job.

Ask the senior who can not afford there taxes, they will say no.

More and more people want something for nothing.
I find that a many landlords such as yourself refuse to rent to Sec. 8 Tenants. May I ask why? Have you had a bad experience with tenants on the program? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey