Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 10:46 PM

24 posts, read 92,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovened View Post
Funny you ask, we just purchased our refrigerator today! But we bought it at BestBuy not through the builder. They actually didn't even give us the option. I agree that the stairs are very tight so we are a bit nervous but all the models have great appliances which weren't in there the first time I walked through the units, so they got the in somehow! I figure the delivery guys do this all day and night so they have a system, but to make sure we are having our appliances delivered a week before we have our painters come, that way if any walls are damaged we can patch them up easily.

We did need to purchase a Counter Depth Refrigerator which was a bit more expensive and there are very limited models. We did find one we love, LFX21976ST and it is currently on sale with 18month financing. Its still insanely expensive but unfortunately its one appliance you really need to have before you move in.

Hope that helps!
great purchase, i did look it up on the web and liked it a lot. i would be very interested to hear about your experience with the bestbuy guys squeezing the fridge through the stars. I wonder if one needs to pay them extra to bring it through the narrow stairs? have no clue how it works......, i even thought they bring it in before the walls are up or through a deck may i also ask why would you go for a counter depth one? did you order the customized kitchen cabinets? thanks a million, this is a very useful conversation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 05:20 AM

26 posts, read 96,528 times
We had to buy counter depth because of the way our kitchen is designed. We have the identical kitchen to the Manchester Model home, if you have walked through you would see how the fridge is tucked between two counters. you need to get a fridge that is flush with those counters which is Cabinet Depth (around 30in deep), otherwise a standard size would stick out about 6 inches away from the counters and look terrible as well as block the door to the patio. (The model home fridge is a kitchenaid counter depth)

We didn't have to pay extra for delivery of the appliances (washer/dryer have to go up two flights!). I would think if they can get it up with ruining the walls I would tip them nicely.

Everything is being delivered next weekend so fingers crossed it fits!!!

Old 10-27-2014, 06:34 AM

189 posts, read 460,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetwalia View Post
Btw, what do you guys think of the pulte new townhouses at Garfield location? Is this a safe neighborhood? For me and my wife, the only disadvantage is that its around 1.5 miles away from Plaudeville train station. We were more interested in Wesmont as train stations would be at walkable distance.

But how is garfield overall? We have been there and it does include more features like gated community, Gym/Swimming/clubhouse. Not sure on area though
The Centex Garfield community is only stacked condos and a much smaller river park condo community, so it is targeting a different demographic than the Pulte 3BR townhomes + stacked condos / Wesmont Station Transit-Oriented Development. Garfield is also an Abbott/SDA district for NJ (along with towns like Newark, Camden, Trenton, etc).

As for amenities, give Somerset Development and their various builders a couple more years, I'm sure they will soon follow. Ingerman is already planning for the following at Wesmont Station: "The development will also house a fitness center, as well as a large community center complete with gathering spaces, a warming kitchen, management offices, and a service suite."

Old 10-27-2014, 09:29 AM

343 posts, read 615,258 times
it makes sense on the smaller townhomes they have at wesmont in the 300k to low 400k range due to the low price. But if you are paying 500kish i just dont see the point. When you can just buy in montclair/nutley etc.. which has much better established neighborhood and most important good schools that will help your resale if you decide to move. Why pay 500k+ and live in woodridge?

Old 10-27-2014, 09:33 AM

Where can you find newly constructed 4bed/4 baths in Montclair for 500k?! I would kill for that but unfortunatly they start in the 1 Million range.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovened View Post
Where can you find newly constructed 4bed/4 baths in Montclair for 500k?! I would kill for that but unfortunatly they start in the 1 Million range.
it wont be new construction, but you can find turnkey houses with similar size in those areas easy in the 500k range. Btw those are just standard 3br 2.5ba townhomes in wesmont. Not sure where you getting 4br4ba from.. you counting the basement conversions?

Old 10-27-2014, 09:48 AM

Umm I think i know how many rooms are in my house... On the top floor they call it a den because it doesn't have a closet but we are using it as a nursery so definitely counts as a bedroom for us and we have 3.5 baths. There is a huge difference between turnkey and new... you can get a 40 year old ranch in Montclair but you would need to gut the entire thing. Send me a link to one house at 500k that's even comparable and I will retract my statement.

I could only find this house... 88 Grove Street, Montclair NJ For Sale - Trulia (there was only 5 houses under 500k) and this home is 107 years old, radiator heating, smaller than my townhouse, and no AC.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:07 AM

what model did you buy? i looked at those units both the manchester and lancaster (well on monitors as they didnt have model home built in when i went). There is no 4th br unless you count the basement conversion or the walkin closet?

I am guessing your final cost is around 550k-600k right? anyway here's a few listings just from the first two pages. I am actually curious to get other opinions as to why you think those dont compare, obviously they are not new construction but all fully renovated for move in and in a much better neighborhood. I am in the same boat and wrote off wesmont due to the area/school and the valuation after applying the upgrades.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...20-79643?row=4

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...1-77122?row=10

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...5-07563?row=11

Old 10-27-2014, 10:58 AM

Those are lovely homes, each of them has plus/minuses, like one car garage, or no AC, not open concept, or just 60 years old. I completely agree that Montclair is a better town, and if I could get everything I wanted in a house and afford it, there would be no argument. But personally I just like being the first owners of the home and being able to customize the way we want it, everything (appliances and construction) is under warranty. We will never need to worry about the roof or anything outside the house since it is all covered by the HOA and we are 25 minutes closer to the city! The best part was being able to see the house being made, you can visit anytime and walk-through the construction, its so reassuring that things are done properly. We actually became a bit obsessed and went three times a week, since we live across the street.

Our final cost for the Manchester was 500k with most of the upgrades (fireplace, extra bathroom/bedroom, gourmet kitchen). Our unit might be less expensive as we are one of the first people to move in, since they are selling out they are raising prices every week.

You keep saying basement conversion, first off there is no basement, its the first floor with huge windows, and yes we decided to have a bedroom with full bath on that level instead of the rec room since its a private oasis for our guests (its actually pretty close in size to the master). I know you mentioned in an earlier thread that you know someone blindsided by the upgrade cost, but they handed us a very clear list on what things would cost which was really helpful especially when deciding on things for the kitchen.

These Townhomes aren't for everyone, but obviously people are liking them since they have sold all but two units for this first phase. And with an entire neighborhood of people willing to spend this kind of money, I have no doubt the town is about to get much nicer.

I should also say, its not like Wood-Ridge is some rough neighborhood. I go running every morning down BLVD and pass by so many smiling faces who wave and say good morning. The bagel ladies are adorable and remember husbands order and everyone I wait on the bus line with is extremely friendly. I'm sure the schools could use some work but with a massive increase in population it sounds like they are going to be addressing this issue. The only way the town will become a great town, is by new residents making the changes. I'm up for the challenge.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:26 AM

Got it - new construction was the main motivator, nothing wrong with that.

Yeah i am not saying the neighborhood is unsafe, just concerns about the school as most people who buy 3br+ properties are families or looking to start a family, so the potential buyer pool is smaller if the school is not good. That said, if the area/school improves over the next 10 years with the influx of those young families to wesmont and other developments then your property will appreciate more than the "normal" suburbs due to the commute advantage and that the main negative is removed.

500k all in is not bad, congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey