Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 06:19 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times

Advertisements

Cold clear night here with the thermostat stubborn at 19.7 F.

Yet, I just came back from Cranford after visiting an engineering parts shop for my senior design project, and up there it was 25 F. Shocking that as I drive south the temperature drops .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 08:27 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Cold clear night here with the thermostat stubborn at 19.7 F.

Yet, I just came back from Cranford after visiting an engineering parts shop for my senior design project, and up there it was 25 F. Shocking that as I drive south the temperature drops .
I'm in Cranford, they're saying (TWC) it feels 17 here. Actually, just checked again: it feels 15.

Apparently, we're supposed to get another 3-5 inches of snow this Saturday. Let's see how that goes…

Old 12-14-2013, 01:02 PM

How is the snowfall in your area. Right now here, its blinding heavy snowfall. I am staying home and making piping hot enchiladas with what I have stocked in my pantry .

Old 12-15-2013, 12:14 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
How is the snowfall in your area. Right now here, its blinding heavy snowfall. I am staying home and making piping hot enchiladas with what I have stocked in my pantry .
We probably got about 6 inches. It was a very light snow and was blowing as it was pretty windy out, resembling a blizzard but not quite as bad. It started to rain though around 11 pm but so far the snow hasn't seem to have melted or gone away at all. I'm assuming it was more of a sleet, freezing rain type of thing than straight rain. But yeah, 6 inches is probably about our total here.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:36 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
It appeared to me that we had ~4 inches of snow here in the East Millstone area before it was compacted a bit by the changeover to sleet & freezing rain.

When I took the dog outside late last night for his last...elimination outing...of the night, it was NOT pleasant, what with the sleet hitting me in the face.
Luckily, my dog didn't like it either, and he did his "business" in record time, thus allowing both of us to return to a nice warm house.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:57 AM

Right now, its 32 F and cloudy and I just came back after shoveling off my driveway and clearing both cars. The 5.5" of snow was so wet and heavy it worked my butt off. I started sweating like crazy reentering the house, took a shower, and am wearing summer clothes to cool off. I never knew shoveling heavy wet snow could make you heat up so fast .

Old 12-15-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I just came back after shoveling off my driveway and clearing both cars. The 5.5" of snow was so wet and heavy it worked my butt off.
If you have to go out very soon, then I suppose that it made sense to do this work right away, but since the temperature is supposed to go up to 38-39 degrees w/in a few hours, I am opting to wait awhile to clear my driveway. Hopefully some melting will have taken place by then, and the load will be lighter.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:04 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If you have to go out very soon, then I suppose that it made sense to do this work right away, but since the temperature is supposed to go up to 38-39 degrees w/in a few hours, I am opting to wait awhile to clear my driveway. Hopefully some melting will have taken place by then, and the load will be lighter.

Clear now and let the sun melt it down to the pavement. If it doesn't melt by itself, that slush will be ice tomorrow.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Clear now and let the sun melt it down to the pavement. If it doesn't melt by itself, that slush will be ice tomorrow.
I just came in from 45 minutes of shoveling, as the temperature is already at 38 degrees, and melting is taking place. If you have a very long driveway, as I do, I suggest that you try the following:

Start by exposing "stripes" of blacktop. The solar effect is multiplied by the black surface, and the snow/ice that is adjacent to those stripes will begin to melt faster than it would otherwise. I have done 5 stripes so far in the driveway, in addition to clearing the accumulation left at the base of the driveway by the city snowplows. This allows the snowmelt to run down the driveway, away from the house.

After having a cup of coffee and changing into dry underwear (shoveling is very aerobic!), I will go back to do another 30 minutes or so in order to clear the remaining snow from the driveway.

Also--no matter how you decide to clear your driveway, remember to make a channel at the curb for snowmelt to run into the nearest storm sewer. If you don't do this, you are likely to wind up with a skating rink tonight, where your driveway meets the street pavement.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:44 PM

More snow again tomorrow night for parts of Jersey . Be prepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey